• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ben's 73 Build Thread

mjramacher

Loving the work ben keep at it I wish I could be there to help you with the body and paint work.

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Love all the fabrication! Where did you source the door checks?

OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

Love all the fabrication! Where did you source the door checks?

I went scouring my local junkyard checking various vehicles. The ones I ended up with came from an early 2000's Volvo S80. Turned out really well and was a relatively simple install.

JSmall

Bronco Guru
I went scouring my local junkyard checking various vehicles. The ones I ended up with came from an early 2000's Volvo S80. Turned out really well and was a relatively simple install.

Thanks!!

OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

Back in the saddle after family vacations, school starting, etc. Ended up going to Hot August Night in Reno, unfortunately without my Bronco, but was able to meet up and hang out with Marv (mjramacher). His rig is super nice and was well received by all passers by.

IMG_6748.jpg

Now that I am home I noticed I was getting a little bit of flash rust on my cage, bumpers, seat brackets, etc. which is really odd for the area I live in considering they are inside my shop. I treated them all with rust mort to kill what is there and preserve them until I am ready to take them to the powder coater.

IMG_7155.jpg

I've been plugging away at the body work. Figured I would start with the most difficult areas first which are the rear quarter grafts. There are so many radius's and tight spaces to work in these areas which made them difficult to get dialed in. Finally got those wrapped up last night and hoping it will be down hill from here.

IMG_7148.jpg IMG_7153.jpg IMG_7154.jpg

Last edited:

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
~there's a brand new dance and it's called "the block", ben's going to hook everyone at the club up with it ;)

don't worry too much about your minor flash rust. your PC guy should be blasting it all before he shoots it

mjramacher

Thanks for hanging out with me and the family we had a great time,you have a great family as well.we will see you soon.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
~there's a brand new dance and it's called "the block", ben's going to hook everyone at the club up with it ;)

don't worry too much about your minor flash rust. your PC guy should be blasting it all before he shoots it

Words from the wise Miyagi san. :cool: Wax on-Wax off... Breathe, in through the nose, out the mouth. Hi!

OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

Hell yeah! Going to get everyone from the club to come do "the block" for me! A lot of fricken work! LOL! ;D

OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

Last weekend Marv (mjramacher) and his dad flew in from Reno to help me out with the bodywork. I can't thank them enough! We had three full days of kicking ass and was able to get her into filler primer. Almost felt like we were on an episode of Overhaulin. Was able to get her roughed in and into filler primer. Now the tedious task of primer/guidecoat/blocking until she's perfect and we'll be ready for paint!

IMG_7486.jpg IMG_7488.jpg IMG_7493.jpg IMG_7508.jpg IMG_7510.jpg IMG_7513.jpg IMG_7517.jpg IMG_7522.jpg IMG_7525.jpg IMG_7527.jpg IMG_7528.jpg

Last edited:

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
That is so cool...I love this forum for stuff like that. Looks great. Lots of good karma mjramacher!

mjramacher

Pops and I had a great time out there with you it would have been nice to have a couple more days to compleat the block sanding and get it ready for some paint.thanks for the long nights and great food and lots of beer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 212
OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

Got my hillbilly booth set up again, version 2.0. Made the mistake of researching paint booth airflow, velocity, etc. and ended up redesigning it based on a side down draft booth, trying to get flow to avoid any eddies for a good paint job. Before use it will get vacuumed and misted down with water to help alleviate any debris in the air. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming ..... block sanding!

IMG_7560.jpg IMG_7561.jpg IMG_7562.jpg IMG_7586.jpg IMG_7587.jpg IMG_7588.jpg

OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

Got the final piece to the booth completed .... air! Upgraded all of my fittings to high flow for use with the HVLP guns and built a standpipe with two water traps to allow the air to cool prior to hitting the dryer.

IMG_7619.jpg

Sanding, sanding, and more sanding. Got the fenders and hood blocked out and shot what is hopefully my last coat of high build on them.

IMG_7621.jpg IMG_7623.jpg IMG_7624.jpg IMG_7625.jpg

OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

Took a detour from sanding today and shot a couple of colors that we are entertaining for the rig. Used the old fenders that I cut the grafts out of as our test pieces. Looking forward to getting them out in the sun tomorrow and seeing what they look like.

IMG_7626.jpg IMG_7627.jpg IMG_7628.jpg IMG_7629.jpg

OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

I am glad I did a couple test samples. Got them both out in the sun today and don't think I will be going with either color. The green looks absolutely amazing when the sun hits it just right but when the sun isn't hitting it, it just looks dark. The blue is an okay color but I don't think it will pop or have the wow factor I was hoping for. The search for color continues .....

IMG_7631.jpg IMG_7632.jpg IMG_7633.jpg IMG_7635.jpg