• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

let's see your home made tools

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Found more. Master cylinder bleeding lines and a piston stop for finding TDC with the head off. I had a fixture for gapping rings with my dremel but I've already recycled it into something else.

Attachments

• Bronco 113.jpg
    Bronco 113.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Bronco 114.jpg
    Bronco 114.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 59

grant_71

Bronco Guru
Imagine a Chinese socket that has 4 grooves ground in it to remove balljoint sleeves Oh - and guess how many times it has cracked and been rewelded :D

Hey i made a few of those, i always use the good impact sockets, havent cracked one yet. I could probably stop making them if i quit "loaning" them out.

I have made TONS of pullers, mainly for John Deere Tractors, JD literally will make a puller for one thing on one model only.

NixTrix- i have a spindle nut puller just like yours, only stick welded...and painted black....and for a Bronco II, so it is actually nothing like yours.

I make all my own clutch pullers and tools for my sleds, one of the joys when i was racing them, i was too poor in college to buy the proper tools, so i would raid the scrap bin in the shop and go to town.

I will post some pics up tomorrow.

Grant

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
I want see some tube benders made with the dies that are available....

tasthree

Loc.
western NC
All though not home made I would like to share a tool that works in place of a parts sandblaster for me right now.They are nylon abrasive circular brushes.One I use is # 91371 (orange 80 grit)I get from Harbor Freight that is made in C***a.Another I get from my local ACE Hardware is made in the USA by Dico Products Corp called Nylox I think.The HF ones have two grits and sizes.The Nylox ones have different sizes,shapes and grits.They are like circular wire brushes but have nylon fingers imbedded with abrasives.When the fingers break off they are not as dangerous as the steel ones.I chuck them up in my 3/8 varible speed drill that I can lock to the on position.They clean off rust and crud great.I use them for so many things.Preping for paint,cleaning off old gasket material even on alum with out damaging the surface when used with care.I have used the Nylox fine grit(blue) to prep to paint a plastic dash that was covered with shallow design groves in it and they weren't damaged at all.I use them for cleaning threads on bolts,cleaning tarnish off electrical contacts,etc.As they wear down the stiffness of them changes and you will find they work better in different applications for you so I keep some new and old used ones on hand.I am always making my own tools and improvising which led me to try this tool.

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

Attachments

• P4010071.JPG
    P4010071.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 320
  • P6290090.JPG
    P6290090.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 206

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
steering wheel puller

I had to replace the column bearings in my 74 a few years ago, I couldn't get the steering wheel to pop off so I made a puller out of some scrap that was laying around, its worked great. I have had couple of friends use it luckly I have gotten it back.

Attachments

• bronco steering 009.jpg
    bronco steering 009.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 175
  • bronco steering.jpg
    bronco steering.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 85

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Jon,
How did you drill your holes for the bender? And what size plate did you use for the arms?
3/4" stock is easier to find around here then 5/8" stock..

madgyver

KDML

How about some wooden frame and body rotisseries (don't try this at home kids).

Attachments

• body rack.JPG
    body rack.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 225
  • frame rack.JPG
    frame rack.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 232

Fishbone

Loc.
Northern, Illinois
Here's a cheap hole punch. Actually you need to mount it in a drill in order for it to hold up for any length of time. All you need is a 22ca. shell case. File the rib off the end, and chuck it up lightly in your drill.

I use 10x24 button heads for my flares, and this works perfect for cutting the holes in the rubber welt.

Sorry about the fuzzy pic.

DSCN1971.jpg

Broncobowsher

Total hack
This is my axle puller. Built it one night in desperation and have used it several times over. Lugnut welded to the end of some square tubing then a piece of round tubing cross welded to the other end. Thread the lugnut onto the stud, beat on the crossbar with a hammer. If you can see through the dark photo I have beat on it a lot. I even modified it once with a bolt to make a pull hook to remove a wedged in bumper insert.

Attachments

• P7160021.jpg
    P7160021.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 136

Broncobowsher

Total hack
This is a piston compressor for the band apply pistons on a 4R70W. Couple bolts hold it to the case and a couple long threaded bolts press down on the piston so you can remove the snapring. Multi hole to work on both pistons.

Attachments

• P7160022.jpg
    P7160022.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 60

Broncobowsher

Total hack
This doesn't look like much. But it does a geat job. When used with a harmonic damper install tool I can remove the caps off the OX joints on my front axle. No fancy puller needed. It makes a pocket for the pin to slip into as the puller pulls. Hopefully I don't need to use it too often.

Attachments

• P7160023.jpg
    P7160023.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 139

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I like my axle puller best ...simpley take about 3 foot of heavy chain put the last link over the lug and put on a washer and nut tighten ...take the tag end ....Put on a GLOVE and give the tag end a big whap..out comes the axle.....

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I like my axle puller best ...simpley take about 3 foot of heavy chain put the last link over the lug and put on a washer and nut tighten ...take the tag end ....Put on a GLOVE and give the tag end a big whap..out comes the axle.....

Thats the way I have always done them, works like a charm.

brian72

Early Bronco Student
To remove the locking washer...it always seems to be suctioned on.

These are rather simple to make...take a metal clothes hanger and cut to
length with a little hook on the end....voila.

Attachments

• hubtool.jpg
    hubtool.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 43