• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mustang Leather 'Vert Rear Seat, in a Bronco?

KennyB

Loc.
Simi Valley
Did I ever Tell you I took '03 Convertible Seats, and Built the Frame to Be a Freestanding Bronco Seat?

I’m NOT Saying this project is for Everyone, but it blows away what you can buy! (And ANYONE Can Buy a back seat)

OK, Here we go... 3/4" EMT Conduit, and a Conduit Bender (about $30) Bender. I Used EMT because it's light, and it's Really Strong.

I Chose Mustang '03 Cobra Convertible because according to the Specs on www.autos.msn.com It’s the Narrowest back seat. Driver’s seat is 10 Way Power Adjustable, They are Black Leather, and Suede in the Middle. (NO, I don’t wear a skirt, but, someone might be)

Get All your Measurements from the Bronco, you have 40” between the Fender Wells. You want this seat LOW, the bottom and back at 90*, about 4” off the Floor in the back, 7” off the Floor in the Front… you wanna rake it back a good 15* off Plumb.

Pry open the Hog Rings, peel back the Leather. You’ll hate yourself if you Burn it. ( I hate Myself)

Start measuring, Cutting Conduit, Tacking to your side frame. The more I did, the more I wanted to do, to pinch a piece flat, (I don’t have a tubing cutter) I used a Vice. I used 1”x1” angle iron for the Bottom Frame. I Bent up Arm rests, I’ll prolly use MotoCross Bar pads, as arm rest pads.

The Back of the seat has some “Hook” type mounts that wrapped right around the conduit. The Front of the bottom piece has 3/8” round Pins, that go through the Angle Iron bottom. What I forgot to Photo, was the brackets I used to Pull the seat Back Down. I Bent over some 1/8” X 1” flat stock, welded a piece of All Thread to it, grabbed the seat frame, pushed the all thread through the bottom mount, and double Nut’d it. I’ll try to draw it up in Photoshop.

Oh, the Back of the seat is Foam, and isn’t too attractive. So, I looked up what the Stereo Guys do for woofer Boxes. I stretched a piece of Black Felt held it with Spray glue, Then I painted Resin on it, flowed by 2 layers of Glass Mat. Then a little Sanding, Bondo, A LOT of sanding, then Paint. On the frame I used Rattle Can Gloss, on the back, I used Rattle Can Bedliner Textured Spray.

The Bottom, I Used 1’, or 1.25” Flat Stock, Drilled for Stock holes. I used ¾” EMT as Risers.

On the Face, I had a Sheet metal shop roll up some 18 guage, for a finish look, I even made a Glove Box. Also, the Seat Belts Come up through the Bottom, so, If you put in a Sheetmetal Pan, Leave an area for the Seat Belts.

So, NO I wont make you one, It took a couple nights, and I had fun doing it.

Attachments

• Seat Mock up 1.jpg
    Seat Mock up 1.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 111
  • back Seat Mock up 7.jpg
    back Seat Mock up 7.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 79
  • back Seat Mock up 6.jpg
    back Seat Mock up 6.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 83
  • back Seat Mock up 5.jpg
    back Seat Mock up 5.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 86
  • back Seat Mock up 4.jpg
    back Seat Mock up 4.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 91
  • back Seat Mock up 3.jpg
    back Seat Mock up 3.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 89
  • back Seat Mock up 2.jpg
    back Seat Mock up 2.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 87
  • Back Seat Mock up 1.jpg
    Back Seat Mock up 1.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 105
  • back Seat Mock up 8.jpg
    back Seat Mock up 8.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 76
  • back Seat Mock up 11.jpg
    back Seat Mock up 11.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 76
  • back Seat Mock up 13.jpg
    back Seat Mock up 13.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 98
  • back Seat Mock up12.jpg
    back Seat Mock up12.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 82
OP
OP
KennyB

KennyB

Loc.
Simi Valley
OOOPs, Here's the Bracket I made to hold down the Back Seat Pad... and, i holds down the seat Bottom Pad.... I bought these seats through eBay, from a Junk yard back east.... $1300 delivered to CA......... But, I like 'em

Attachments

• Hold Down Bracket.jpg
    Hold Down Bracket.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Cobra Bucket.jpg
    Cobra Bucket.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 51

Broncofan76

Loc.
Atlanta
looks good. I'm working on my own modified rear seat this weekend. Not as fansy or comfortable as yours but it will hopefully house my speakers in the bottom so will save me some room in the end.
nice work