• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1994 Explorer throttle body and plenum with 1989 mustang wire harness.

Hardpivot

Many years ago I converted my 1971 bronco over to fuel injection using all factory hardware from a 1989 crown victoria. The only things I replaced were the computer which is now an A9L, and the wire harness which I purchased from Painless. I recently tore the throttle body, plenum, intake and fuel rails off a 1994 ford Explorer that I'd like to use instead of the old crown vic stuff. My question is about the connectors for the idle bypass valve and the throttle body. The Explorer plugs don't match the plugs on the earlier style crown vic harness and im wondering if I can just cut the plugs off the wire harness and splice on the ones from the Explorer hardware. Has anyone done this?

1969miller

Contributor
Loc.
Elk Grove
your mustang IAC valve should just bolt to the explorer TB and that solves one of your plug differences. same with the TBS, swap the sensor?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I had a collection of those parts at one time. Used an '88 mustang engine (built up) with a '94 mustang harness sprinkled in with Explorer parts and leftovers from the 4.0 I took out. Had all kinds of parts that I could mix and match.

The TPS has the same range for any of that stuff. I actually made a jumper harness that plugged in so not to butcher any of the real harness. Sometimes you can just swap the TPS, other times you have to use the one that matches the throttle body.

IAC will accept a plug swap. Or interchange. But you have to pay attention to the direction of airflow. IACs don't like it if the airflow is going the wrong way through them. The pressure imbalance is the wrong way and they don't control that well. There are 3 different IAC options and some mount with the coil on the vacuum side, others to the air cleaner side.

I also recall the 4.0 throttle body being small and a bit of a bastard. Not sure why you would want one.

There is also the crankcase vent hose nipple. Some throttle bodies have it, others don't.