• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

explorer ps pump fix!

fablife

after a crap load of changing, modifying and reading.. weird how some people have great results and some of us have the hard, whining steering. this last build was a super sweet one, so I refused to let it go without a cure, lol
so, it seems the feed is the issue. so here's the easy fix
the return needs to be plumbed into the feed line somewhere between the reservoir and the pump inlet. This can be done with hose barb fittings or drilled and tapped like I did.
it takes a little longer to purge the air out of the system because it's getting recirculated back into the pump, but it definitely works. hope this saves some misery!! JD

Attachments

• PS3.jpg
    PS3.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 128
  • PS1.jpg
    PS1.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 115
  • PS4.jpg
    PS4.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 136
  • PS5.jpg
    PS5.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 158

DanHall

Loc.
Pueblo, CO
Sweet. Looks like a nice solution for dual returns. I'll be in the same boat here in the near future so thanks for posting your fix.

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
after a crap load of changing, modifying and reading.. weird how some people have great results and some of us have the hard, whining steering. this last build was a super sweet one, so I refused to let it go without a cure, lol
so, it seems the feed is the issue. so here's the easy fix
the return needs to be plumbed into the feed line somewhere between the reservoir and the pump inlet. This can be done with hose barb fittings or drilled and tapped like I did.
it takes a little longer to purge the air out of the system because it's getting recirculated back into the pump, but it definitely works. hope this saves some misery!! JD

Where did you get that reservoir?

OP
OP
fablife

fablife

Where did you get that reservoir?

I made it, it had to clear the hood, and with that motor I was out of options!at first, I had tremendous swirling action in the reservoir, I guess because it was shallower than the original. but since the new return location, that is cured too!

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
That seems to be a problem with the Explorer pumps and reservoirs. If you turn up the volume and pressure just a bit, the stock reservoir size isn't big or deep enough to keep the pump from cavitating. While your reservoir has the capacity, it's too shallow, as you mentioned, and the whining is pump cavitation. It's sucking air through the surface of the reservoir level. Plumbing the return directly to the pump and connecting the reservoir with a Tee will work, but time will tell if the fluid will stay cool enough. You've pretty much bypassed the the reservoir the way you have it, and you're not using the capacity of the reservoir to keep all the fluid cool. Adding a cooler will help if you develop a heat issue, because you're also adding more capacity.

Mark

OP
OP
fablife

fablife

you may be right, I think it still is utilizing the reservoir, but I wouldn't run a ps system without a cooler, heat is a killer for most all hyd systems!
I haven't tested this system with a hydroboost or assist. so anyone else can chime in if there are any cures for that too