• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Question for those that have done the explorer pump 6.0 upgrade

widowmaker77

Contributor
So before I had broken both the explorer and power stroke pumps apart, both seemed to have some shaft end play. I transferred all the internals of the 6.0 into the explorer pump with a new gates seal kit and now shaft has zero end play and it is now somewhat harder to turn. I have torn the pump apart two different times to verify everything is in there correct verifying from multiple sources I have found and it looks to be correct. I
Can take the rear cover off the pump and the shaft will spin freely and the end play comes back.so the end cap and bushing seems to be the issue. The only difference is I had to reuse the 6.0 end cap in my explorer housing because i broke my explorer cap. Once I install the cap back on, the shaft gets tight again and zero end play.
So my question is, have you guys had this to happen after rebuilding the pump? Or is the 6.0 end cap different than the explorer one and maybe I need to grind a little off the end of the pump shaft to get some clearance there?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Last edited:

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm not sure how I would handle that situation, but I can say there is a pressured port that feeds the back end of the shaft, so it SHOULD be lubricated...

OP
OP
widowmaker77

widowmaker77

Contributor
I'm not sure how I would handle that situation, but I can say there is a pressured port that feeds the back end of the shaft, so it SHOULD be lubricated...
Well I tore it back apart two
More times today measuring everything I could and all the internal pieces measure the same. Keep
In mind my explorer end cap Is broke where the shaft rides but I pieced it together and held them with some pliers and used the depth gauge on my calipers to measure the hole in the cap where the shaft goes. The best I could measure with what I had was this. Explorer cap hole depth .501-.505 ish super duty hole depth .477-.480. Then I measured how much the shaft moves with no end cap on it and that was about .070. Soooo I ended up cutting my shaft off about .050. Shaft turns freely now and has all the end play. Was that the right thing to do?? I have no idea but I’ll find out this weekend. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤞🤞

OP
OP
widowmaker77

widowmaker77

Contributor
I did this on mine and I think I had the same problem, I think I just ran it.
Well if it doesn’t work, I’m going to go to orielys and get a reman pump
And see if it will run my new hydroboost and 35’s. If not I’m going with a Saginaw pump. I’ve worried with this explorer pump basically all week and I’m over this thing.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Keep in mind I did the mod as an experiment ages ago but my go-to pump is one salvaged from a junkyard in Seattle around 2005. It’s run on my Bronco since then for about 150,000 miles, 35” tires and hydroboost the entire time. Dang thing just keeps working. No whining (unlike me) and while I don’t do anything resembling serious rock crawling it’s spent plenty of time off road. I have a lot of respect for those little pumps. Mine, anyway. Of course I have a couple of spares on the shelf and it probably knows that so it keeps running.

OP
OP
widowmaker77

widowmaker77

Contributor
Keep in mind I did the mod as an experiment ages ago but my go-to pump is one salvaged from a junkyard in Seattle around 2005. It’s run on my Bronco since then for about 150,000 miles, 35” tires and hydroboost the entire time. Dang thing just keeps working. No whining (unlike me) and while I don’t do anything resembling serious rock crawling it’s spent plenty of time off road. I have a lot of respect for those little pumps. Mine, anyway. Of course I have a couple of spares on the shelf and it probably knows that so it keeps running.
Thanks Lars! hoping this one will work but I’m happy to hear you have had good look for years with your stock pump. We don’t have any rock climbing trails here in south Al so mine will be mostly street and dirt road driving. Maybe some mud occasionally.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds like a reasonable solution to me. I'm not sure I would've left the end play, but if it was there in stock version, ???? RUN IT!

OP
OP
widowmaker77

widowmaker77

Contributor
Sounds like a reasonable solution to me. I'm not sure I would've left the end play, but if it was there in stock version, ???? RUN IT!
Debated back and forth in my mind about that but I decided since they were like that from the factory, maybe it needs to be in there. Maybe I shouldn’t have.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Debated back and forth in my mind about that but I decided since they were like that from the factory, maybe it needs to be in there. Maybe I shouldn’t have.
It certainly leaves room for some pressured oil on the back end of the shaft. And with 1500+psi, it might force the shaft outward so there's no play while running.

OP
OP
widowmaker77

widowmaker77

Contributor
Hopefully so. I helped my son and daughter in law with moving some stuff and running water lines under their house today but hopefully tomorrow and Monday I can get the hydroboost the pump installed and see what happens. I’ll report back here how it goes🤞

OP
OP
widowmaker77

widowmaker77

Contributor
Ok so got all the hydroboost installed, had to make some modifications to the bracket i
Bought off eBay but nothing too major. All lines ran with a tee in the return line(for now). Installed pump and it works fine so far. Is it awesome? Not really but it’s working and running the brakes and hydro so I guess ts good to go. Really impressed with the hydroboost! Didn’t even bleed the lines out and it will through you through the Windsheild.