• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Duffy's 77 Build Thread- Restomod, daily, re-uncut

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Are you changing the color or keeping it the satin? I can imagine you will be chomping at the bit to get it back again!

OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you changing the color or keeping it the satin? I can imagine you will be chomping at the bit to get it back again!

Going glossy white. A nice warm white based off of white icon uses but with a slightly different tone of yellow. Going PPG lifetime paint as well. It will be a nice break from working on it, then when i get it back it's the final push to finish it.

OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, going to build my own (with my friends help) stainless 77 cloan rear tank. It will have the same frame gas tank mounts so it will bolt on and off. It will also use weld on russel connections for transfer pump and return as well as a roll over valve for the vent. Going with a linear gas tank level sending unit as well. Figuring out gallons now.

Attachments

• IMG_9320.JPG
    IMG_9320.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_9319.jpg
    IMG_9319.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1555.JPG
    IMG_1555.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 134

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Well, going to build my own (with my friends help) stainless 77 cloan rear tank. It will have the same frame gas tank mounts so it will bolt on and off. It will also use weld on russel connections for transfer pump and return as well as a roll over valve for the vent. Going with a linear gas tank level sending unit as well. Figuring out gallons now.

Ok, you got my attn more now. I want to build a SS tank for my 77 as well. I'd like to keep mine around 18-20 gallons so it won't stick so far down. If oh can provide some part #s and website you got parts from that would be great!
Matt

OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Switching out the goofy filler hoses size changes, both will 2-1/4.

Here is that hose.
http://www.fillernecksupply.com/2-1...-super-elbow-28-inches-long-57mm-59203-24713/

Filler stainless hose barb 2-1/4
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAINLESS-T...356618?hash=item5d70331d8a:g:Mu4AAOSwnDxUoGbZ

Stainless pickup tube, I will cut it to fit.
http://www.fueltankparts.com/replacement-pickup-tube-thread-in-18-long-cut-to-length-637.html

Weld in bungs.
http://www.fueltankparts.com/fuel-t...d-in-fittings/stainless-weld-in-fittings.html

Jaime at jac specialties made the stainless an fittings and other hose barbs. He is the same guy that made my stainless explorer ps pump tank.
jac_specialties@yahoo.com

Here is the sending unit I am using. I will have to have it custom ordered. But I don't know the exact depth yet. But I bought the weld on stainless install ring.
http://rickstanks.com/products/sending-units/

Hope this helps, I am sure the guy drafting the tank would be into selling the design if it works.

Last edited:

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Switching out the goofy filler hoses size changes, both will 2-1/4.

Here is that hose.
http://www.fillernecksupply.com/2-1...-super-elbow-28-inches-long-57mm-59203-24713/

Filler stainless hose barb 2-1/4
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAINLESS-T...356618?hash=item5d70331d8a:g:Mu4AAOSwnDxUoGbZ

Stainless pickup tube, I will cut it to fit.
http://www.fueltankparts.com/replacement-pickup-tube-thread-in-18-long-cut-to-length-637.html

Weld in bungs.
http://www.fueltankparts.com/fuel-t...d-in-fittings/stainless-weld-in-fittings.html

Jaime at jac specialties made the stainless an fittings and other hose barbs. He is the same guy that made my stainless explorer ps pump tank.
jac_specialties@yahoo.com

Here is the sending unit I am using. I will have to have it custom ordered. But I don't know the exact depth yet. But I bought the weld on stainless install ring.
http://rickstanks.com/products/sending-units/

Hope this helps, I am sure the guy drafting the tank would be into selling the design if it works.

I'll be curious to hear how that type of sending unit works for you. I've been eyeing them for quite a number of years now but haven't made the plunge to try one. ISSPRO has had them for years and Classic Instruments has had them for a few years now too. I think Stuart Wilson at Velocity Restorations in FL uses them but I haven't checked with him for feedback or impressions yet.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'll be curious to hear how that type of sending unit works for you. I've been eyeing them for quite a number of years now but haven't made the plunge to try one. ISSPRO has had them for years and Classic Instruments has had them for a few years now too. I think Stuart Wilson at Velocity Restorations in FL uses them but I haven't checked with him for feedback or impressions yet.

Todd Z.

I can't remember where they get them from, but I found the manufactures site last week and they said they are an OEM sending unit now for a some companies. I bet it will work great. Lots of people on the web said good things.

OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Since I am going no Aux tank. I decided to do amp power steps. Amazon had them on sale for around 1k, which is like 400 off normal with free shipping. Which is still crazy expensive! How big is this box! Fun day for the UPS man. I am going with power step brackets from northeastclassicfordparts.com.

Attachments

• Power steps.jpg
    Power steps.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 253

shill37

Do you have a link to the steps and the brackets? I don't see the brackets on their website.
Thanks

kmill23

Since I am going no Aux tank. I decided to do amp power steps. Amazon had them on sale for around 1k, which is like 400 off normal with free shipping. Which is still crazy expensive! How big is this box! Fun day for the UPS man. I am going with power step brackets from northeastclassicfordparts.com.

I can't wait to see it back from paint.

In the meantime, I'm googling your brewing company. You, sir, are living the dream!!

OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I can't wait to see it back from paint.

In the meantime, I'm googling your brewing company. You, sir, are living the dream!!

Thanks! Life is pretty good.

No pictures of Nick's bracket, I asked for some. It's laser cut and bolts to the seat belt supports under instead of the inner rocker like most people do. Should work out great.

OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here are the power steps brackets. Very nicely designed, but I will have to fix the welds. They aren't up to my build quality. Also i will cut the bolt head off the back and just tig weld flat, so they will sit flush on the inner rocker. Then powder coat and install. I will probably do a textured powdercoat on these like my roll cage.

Attachments

• 20170515_210659226_iOS.jpg
    20170515_210659226_iOS.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 164
  • 20170515_204648398_iOS.jpg
    20170515_204648398_iOS.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 179
OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I decided I wanted the brackets to mount flush on the inner rocker, so I ground off the bolts, and counter sunk bolts hole for a tapered bolt. Then cleaned up some of the welds and tig welded over the original welds, still didn't come out perfect, but I can live with them now. If anyone hasn't seen the amp research power steps in person, they are very very nicely made. I went with BK303 which is a cardinal powder coat that is mini texture. It's my new favorite. Hides imperfections and looks pretty awesome.

Attachments

• 20170518_191537228_iOS.jpg
    20170518_191537228_iOS.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 167
  • 20170519_155847510_iOS.jpg
    20170519_155847510_iOS.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 165
  • 20170519_155756238_iOS.jpg
    20170519_155756238_iOS.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 203
OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Last of door internals are back from zinc plating. Now the all door internals are zinc or stainless.

Attachments

• 20170519_185537622_iOS.jpg
    20170519_185537622_iOS.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 149

Jamie Chriss

I just went through your entire build 47 pages, what great attention to detail but even better is how you communicated your steps to the Bronco world. Wow and thanks!

69broncofun

Bronco Guru
I'm going pretty high end on the stereo build. I am using wetsounds, which is the top of the line marine stereo gear. I was going to build the sub into the rear panel, but it became too difficult. I will have 2 6.5" in the door (previous owner cut) and 2 in the passenger area. They will get 150rms each pair and the sub will get 300rms.

I started off by buying new panels for the rear, but they are sadly stapled to cardboard. So I removed the vinyl, I then bought the broncohut fiberglass panels, then traced the cardboard shape on the fiberglass and re-cut them to match, then glued the vinyl back onto the fiberglass, tedious but it turned out great. I used stainless nuts and bolts to secure the speaker in, I also added studs for mounting my amp hidden and also hookup for the subwoofer. I added push things so that the panel will snap in and no screws will be visible. Once the panel is in and the roll cage is in, the whole setup will be very hard to remove or steal. I will also bolt the front speakers in, so they can't be just unscrewed.

check out www.wetsounds.com I have them in my boat and I have never heard a speaker personally that sounds better.

Can you post a pic of the bronco hut firberglass panels? Thanks

Dpearce

I'm running the Amps on my build as well. Have had them on my Tundra for about 3 years. Great product.