• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Chandlers 75 build thread

OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
ok we got some more accomplished tonight. Finnaly got the panels fit and clamped/kleco'd in. We are moving again!!!

Attachments

• new panel 3.jpg
    new panel 3.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 129
  • new panel1.jpg
    new panel1.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 126
  • new panel 2.jpg
    new panel 2.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 121

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
ok we got some more accomplished tonight. Finnaly got the panels fit and clamped/kleco'd in. We are moving again!!!

How are the rear Q's and taillight housings working out, are they lining up fairly well, or are you having to do some serious mods to get them to work?

OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
How are the rear Q's and taillight housings working out, are they lining up fairly well, or are you having to do some serious mods to get them to work?
The first tail light housing that the PO supplied to me was not even close. I ordered this replacement one But had to "massage" it and the fender to make them fit correctly, but I'm not a body guy so for me to make them fit they must have not been too bad.
Chuck

OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
Going Full Blast Again

Ok time to revitalize this thread. As always life happens and we get off projects for a while. We got the wife a new Navigator so Chandler Got her Expedition to drive so the fire was out for a bit for me to get his done. Good thing is I had more time to do it 100% the right way. Bad thing is He is a senior this year and really wants to be able to drive this For his senior year so fire is built again under my feet.
I have got a lot done the last few months and I will add some more pics

OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
So picking up where I had left off before:
I got all of the body panels fit and welded along with straightening out the rear floor support where it had been hit.
We built a complete new front clip and fit the new fenders and grill.
I don't know where those pics are right now I will add them later.
We fit new flares from WH and cut the fenders on all corner
I am multitasking during this point so in the second pic you can see the driver door with stripper on it

Attachments

• flares2a.jpg
    flares2a.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 63
  • flares3a.jpg
    flares3a.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 68
  • flares4a.jpg
    flares4a.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 68
  • flaresa.jpg
    flaresa.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 61
OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
In between other tasks we have been stripping the doors and hood so I could do any body panel repair on them. The Original owner felt it was easier to fill 1/2" of bondo in dents instead of just popping them back out from inside the door. We fixed those and only had to use a little icing to get things completely smooth and blocked. Did I mention I really hate stripping all of the little nook and channels on doors. We are doing a complete color change and we don't have a dipper around here that I know of. We stripped and wire wheeled and a little sand blast work for 3 evenings to get these cleaned up. I take them to painter Monday.
A little side note that I learned from my painter. I had to weld up holes from aftermarket mirrors the PO had put on. When I asked my painter about what type of filler to smooth and block with he told me that you HAVE to sand blast or bead blast welded spots that you are going to put filler over. you cant just sand them. Something about carbon pockets causing body filler or spot putty to bubble. Paint is not a problem he said it will occur with filler because of the moisture in the filler....
Of course we live in coastal florida so by the time we finished sanding the salty environment has flash rust popping up.:mad:. My painter will do final sanding.
I had to weld a patch panel in the dash where someone prior had cut it out for a big radio. We are Tuffy boxing this with the radio in it so I did a radio delete.
The person in the pic helping me is Lahi. He was another SGT deployed with my Oldest son for a year with 124th Inf div. He was actually my Sons Battle Buddy. They were both Team leaders. He decided to live here in St Augustine when they returned. He said it was more like home. He is from Guam originally. He did body shop in high school and has been a big help block sanding:)

Attachments

• body3a.jpg
    body3a.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 63
  • body4a.jpg
    body4a.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 65
  • bodywork2a.jpg
    bodywork2a.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
So we started stripping the hood and found this. Almost 3/4" of bondo in one spot under a support rib that I didn't see from back side. It is not rusted just dented. I knocked the big dent out but decided to get a new hood for this build and fix this for my eldest sons build. It will be next as soon as chandlers is done

Attachments

• hood1a.jpg
    hood1a.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 59
OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
I got 2 raptor kits in. So we are scuffing the bottom and I am checking welds to prepare for application on bottom. I will have to sand blast some areas and get them etched before I can spray it. As soon as I am sure the exterior budy tub work is done I will scuff and spray the interior.
My painter would rather paint after liner. He is afraid I will get overspray on it

Attachments

• bodywork1a.jpg
    bodywork1a.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 83

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Great work on the build so far! Keep at it, it is coming along for sure! Will be keeping an eye on this as it come along.

OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
Thanks Broncoitis,
We kind of got our second wind and things are progressing nicely now.
My son is getting a little excited because I told him he has to decide on the color this week. He wants a burgundy of some sort. I have showed him Doghows and a few others but he hasn't pulled the trigger yet
Chuck

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
looking good chuck! Can't wait to see it/she/he ion the road! ;)

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
A burgandy could be pretty killer! Maybe go to a local place that sells automotive paints and take a look in some of the books. Something is bound to jump out at him! Picking a color can be a little difficult for sure! Good Luck with the color hunt! ;D

OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
Yep
My view right now
Waiting on some etch primer on the dash and some icing on the tailgate to dry so that I can continue some small bodywork.
My painters 24th aniversary was today so I am dropping off parts tomorrow. It gave me an extra night to get stuff done so I don't have to pay his guy to do it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 69
OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
So my painter came to my shop today to look at the parts I had ready for him. Or so I thought. I thought they were really good. He ran his hand across my doors and said " are you happy with these". I said yea. He said "I'm not". So he then proceeded to show me how to skim the entire door and completely block it. He is a buddy of mine and wants it to be perfect. So I have a little more work to do before he gets them and does final touch up. He said he is gonna come a few hours for a few nights to help me get done. Gonna have to wait a couple of weeks before I can do it. I gotta go out of country. Maybe the boys will do it while I am gone lol.

Attachments

• IMG_4376.jpg
    IMG_4376.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
Ok so I have really neglected updating this thread but in between hurricanes and small setbacks we have gotten a bunch done. I will make a few posts to catch this up to where we are now.
The last time I posted was about how my painter was making me block the whole body... I wasn't happy but I am now. Here are a few pics of that.

Attachments

• tailgateblock.JPG
    tailgateblock.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 46
  • doorblock2.JPG
    doorblock2.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 50
  • doorblock.JPG
    doorblock.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 52
  • blocking2.JPG
    blocking2.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 53
  • blocking.JPG
    blocking.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
I also got a new hood because of the problems I found with the original one. My painter had me reinstall the front grill and fenders to make sure the new hood wouldn't require any tweaking of any parts before paint. I have to say it fit wonderfully

Attachments

• hoodfit2.JPG
    hoodfit2.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 36
  • hoodfit3.JPG
    hoodfit3.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
I Needed to get my frame out from under the bronco so I decided to build a body jig. I will use it again and it made life much easier I made the body mounts high so I coud get to the underneath areas easier. (Someone on here had done that with extensions on an old frame so I used their knowledge).

Attachments

• bodyonjig.JPG
    bodyonjig.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 37
  • bodydolly3.JPG
    bodydolly3.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 32
  • bodydolly2.JPG
    bodydolly2.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 37
  • bodydolly.JPG
    bodydolly.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
Attac

Attac

Contributor
Well got lots more to post but I need to figure out why my pics are all coming out sideways. Will figure it out and post more tomorrow

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I Needed to get my frame out from under the bronco so I decided to build a body jig. I will use it again and it made life much easier I made the body mounts high so I coud get to the underneath areas easier. (Someone on here had done that with extensions on an old frame so I used their knowledge).

Are you talking about this? It works great! It makes life easier for sure! The body bolts to the jig in the original body mount holes and this can be put on a rotisserie and the body rotated.

Attachments

• Brian's '73 004.jpg
    Brian's '73 004.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Brian's '73 009.jpg
    Brian's '73 009.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Brian's '73 027.jpg
    Brian's '73 027.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 54
  • Brian's '73 002.jpg
    Brian's '73 002.jpg