• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Securing Cage to Windshield Frame

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Need some ideas on how to secure my cage to the windshield frame. There are threaded holes in both end caps of the cage and those sit just above the windshield frame. It is very tight though, maybe a half inch of clearance between the cage and frame. Several holes in the windshield frame to choose from.

I will not be running a hard top or a riser channel for a soft/bikini top even though its pictured with one.

The best I can come up with is putting a rubber padded screw into the cage and run an L bracket off each to some turnbuckles

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 116
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 111

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If that threaded hole isn't the most convenient place you could think about doing what I did. I bought a Nut-Sert kit and installed them where the SS turnbuckles fit. Been thinking about installing jamb nuts but it's not been a priority.
This is the Nut-Sert kit I got off Amazon.

QT4N8-nofLOm1H_GmPDCmLbg7BjR3POvMjsYRAbMmfGKJ6m_hqgRd_IlxSGfYqmP61laTxD8kfSVILQi4XrEpjbHZuPgqxkPjdb5RmEYRjW0eDCLTGKibImGvbWxMwj9Ypr2A4murge-i6uXTS9Ihm7s7fu2LfjugK30NnfJPmDN-McflNv2okXIobeC9fDgSS81pMMyOho5AY0CFVADA0Nm2yrYGOaX_RGTx6nAMive9kzYtw7tfOYI1M-iOspVyrWF1ISXop0JYrABpfjjfoZtMUZa5TyVhE-iUD3iMiYMfGxmYiRmvcOgaLaEJ7SoD6eYyqhLxzHGOU2iniddja0dR-z3hKYYl73Cy8JzHTc2tuL2THpKatRzw-3YC1iU5e-n1qLNTE93AGpdiAdUOA0Mw4HulGrBp84P6kTsxF2et04jPexLb4PSrz8_Vp0dPXkxDutwkg6803e3aUbcHmhTo2e0x8tEjps0Y6g6qNnSFb8Yv32AEkpz9Hb66olRhVVGHV10JnGDZIf-ViGSTE8n198W7otrqXdrlSX5N8WTCeAfNLJEW9Ds6n9uX6oB4u49pGfobpHp8HaXRdz-k6JUYyy2vuxsY5Ena_cQLxE=w1024-h576-no

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I just mounted my cage to the truck. Took a strip of steel sheet and drilled a hole on the end and bolted the end to the windshield. Then welded the strap to the cage. Your over thinking it too much.

Another way is the same method and make the strap a little long and bend it so it follows the tube a couple of inches and hose clam it in place. a little getto but gets the job done.

OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Ya I may have to weld some bungs into the bars for 3 point belts so 2 more for the cage mount won't hurt. I dont think the L bracket would look all that good but it will be hidden well with the bikini top

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Looks like it is touching your soft top riser. Just bolt it to thats with a smooth headed torx bolt and be done

OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Turn buckles work great. Hold it ut dont try to rack the windshield frame with body flex.

Although it looks and sounds like you can just use some rubber bumbers as a cushioned stand off and call that good.

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Turn buckles work great. Hold it ut dont try to rack the windshield frame with body flex.

Although it looks and sounds like you can just use some rubber bumbers as a cushioned stand off and call that good.

That's what I did. I believe I read about it on the tech article. Just took some rubber tubing and "sleeved" the bolt inside the turn-buckle ends.