• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

VIN search for car history

csticks

I'm new to the 1st generation Bronco world and have identified one that I'm going to purchase this coming weekend.

How do you guys check to see if a bronco has been stolen using the VIN number because obviously CARFAX isn't the right place as it told me that I didn't have enough digits! Are there other sites/methods?

I've reviewed all the info regarding how to decipher the VIN number on this forum but what methods do you use to find out if the vehicle has been stolen.

The seller appears to have a clean title, sounds very credible and sincere, but am just hoping to find out more about the Broncos history and wanted to know what you guys/gals do?

Appreciate the help.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
If you have the VIN from the frame you can have a police department or sheriffs office check to see if it is stolen, you can also check with the DMV to see if it has liens against it.

Do not rely on the VIN on the title.

Do not rely on the VIN on the glove box door.

The only one that matters legally is the VIN stamped on the frame.

OP
OP
C

csticks

The bronco has been restored and the frame and body are from different years. The glove box VIN is all I will get which matches the title.

OP
OP
C

csticks

sykanr0ng,

Are you saying that you would not buy it because the frame has no VIN that matches the title?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
sykanr0ng,

Are you saying that you would not buy it because the frame has no VIN that matches the title?

Correct.

The VIN on the frame must match the title.

Glove box plates have been used to register or title stolen Broncos for years.

OP
OP
C

csticks

Thanks for the feedback sykanr0ng.

Does anyone else have experience buying a bronco that has two different VIN numbers; one on the frame and one on the glove box. This bronco has a title that matches the VIN on the glove box from a 1976 body and because the frame was replaced during its restoration it happens to be from a 1977 bronco, i.e. two different VIN numbers!

The state police in my state does not require me to have a VIN inspection even though it will be transferred from a different state, but I'm more concerned about what other buyers will think of this configuration when I sell it down the road more than anything.

Your thoughts?

OP
OP
C

csticks

Understood. I'm thinking I can get the state police to allow for a VIN change from the glove box VIN to the frame VIN and then get the DOL to record the frame VIN on a new title! Always something isn't it. Appreciate your feedback.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the feedback sykanr0ng.

Does anyone else have experience buying a bronco that has two different VIN numbers; one on the frame and one on the glove box. This bronco has a title that matches the VIN on the glove box from a 1976 body and because the frame was replaced during its restoration it happens to be from a 1977 bronco, i.e. two different VIN numbers!

The state police in my state does not require me to have a VIN inspection even though it will be transferred from a different state, but I'm more concerned about what other buyers will think of this configuration when I sell it down the road more than anything.

Your thoughts?

Then the day comes when the buyer ends up moving to another state for his job and the state police there check the frame numbers because they don't care about the glove box at all and find it does not match the title so they load it on a flatbed wrecker and haul it away right then.....

There is at least one member here that had that very thing happen to him (NO it was not me).

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Understood. I'm thinking I can get the state police to allow for a VIN change from the glove box VIN to the frame VIN and then get the DOL to record the frame VIN on a new title! Always something isn't it. Appreciate your feedback.

If the title can be changed to match the frame VIN, you can have a correct glove box door VIN badge made from Marti Auto Works..........it's just an information badge/plate/warranty badge.

OP
OP
C

csticks

Good input guys, thanks.

If the glove box plate which is fastened on using what looks like 2 pop rivits is only there for warranty info and other info, why did Ford put a VIN number there with that info and make it permanent?

Does anyone know why Ford would bother to add the VIN number to the glove box if its not considered official?

I guess I was under the impression that any VIN location on the car was originally issued by the FEDs connected to a certificate of origin from the OEM, that they would be official regardless of where its located? I know I'm a newbie but why on earth would the OEM place a VIN placard on the glove box that isn't official? There's got to be more to this story?

Has anyone on this forum actually worked for Ford during the production of the first generation Bronco. Not that I don't believe what some have already said, but its just hard to believe is all.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
sykanr0ng has given you good advice, The vin tag and Frame need to match.

If they don't, then you could be buying a can of worms.

You want to question why things were done in the 60's and 70's by Ford, but it does not matter.

Regardless of what tag it has, if you have a different Frame vin then there will be some form of possible issues down the road.

If you run the Frame Vin and comes back stolen, then the vehicle gets impounded and you probably lose your investment.

Make the Seller do the leg work on this to satisfy this concern, it is on them.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Well it's not permanent, the rivets and plate can be removed and new plates made if needed. The correct rivets can be purchased from Marti also. And there is at least one member here who worked on the bronco line before production ceased, I can't remember his user name, others will know it.

chuckyb

Contributor
In my state (NC) DMV made sure to check my frame VIN before titling my Bronco. The person that came out says they are well aware of folks trading out glove box doors. I know you are feeling excitement about this particular Bronco but I would recommend biding your time and waiting for one with no VIN issues.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Does anyone know why Ford would bother to add the VIN number to the glove box if its not considered official?

Like was said the vin plate was there for warranty purposes and would need the vin no. to access the vehicle information.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
If you have the VIN from the frame you can have a police department or sheriffs office check to see if it is stolen, you can also check with the DMV to see if it has liens against it.

Before I bought mine I called the local police and asked for a VIN check, they said "we don't do that"

Ohio BMV said they would not give me any information for a vehicle I did not own

I did not contact the state police, maybe they would have a different answer, or at least give you a Yes/No answer to stolen.

It had a clear Ohio title (that matched the frame) so I made the purchase. Good luck

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
csticks understand that all the advice you are getting for free, is very correct and they are only looking out for YOU and your $.

1. If you can, I'd ask the place that did the restro and see why they did not get the frame vi and paper title vi# issue worked out? They had the frame they should of had a title to it too?
2. If they are not available or willing, then the seller should get it worked out.
3. I personally would go talk FTF with your local DVM (get who ever you talk to's name) and get the state regulation on what has and or can be done, BEFORE I spent any money.

Who says the frame is not stolen? Who says the Bronco isn't? Glove box doors and that plate can be changed. Full size Ford trucks 73-79 are in the same boat, warranty plate is rived to the dvrs side door edge.

Got a cop/DMV friend? Get the frame vi # and the paper vi# ran and see what pops up?

67RT

Bronco Guru
Dont buy it. In my state after purchase I noticed the discrepancy and wanted it fixed. Had to file legal document called Writ of Mandamus, which was a court order to order the DMV to retitle my Bronco according to the Frame VIN. THey drilled off the glove door vin plate and put a state issued VIN on my door pillar. They ran both VINS on mine. Turns out mine had been stolen in 1977 and recovered in 1978! No worries on the search so they went ahead and retitiled it. Changed it from a 1972 to a 1970. It took 6 months, a lot of learning on my part as I had to learn how to create and file the docs, and two trips to Baltimore with my truck as they only do it at the central DMV. Ebay reimbursed me for my fees and was ready to buy the truck back and reimburse my shipping cost.

OP
OP
C

csticks

Fellas, more great input and I really appreciate your advise, and making sure I have a solid investment. And BTW, you have now convinced me!

The seller is double checking the frame VIN number today just to make sure it really does not match the glove box tag. Evidently he's restored many these and may have forgotten the details due to this one being his personal bronco.

If I'm lucky and it turns out that the frame VIN matches the glove box VIN then that will solve everything. If its not, I will put this back on the owner and ask him to fix it before I purchase. Based on what I know about this seller and his reputation I believe that he will take care of it for me, but as one person here mentioned, this process could take a while.

Thanks again for everyone's advise and I'll be quite now