• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

VIN search for car history

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
The frame vin matching the title vin is what is important. Hope it all works out!! Pretend like the glove box door doesn't exist lol.

69broncofun

Bronco Guru
If the title can be changed to match the frame VIN, you can have a correct glove box door VIN badge made from Marti Auto Works..........it's just an information badge/plate/warranty badge.

^^^^ Thats pretty cool

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
Here here and here. Pic #4 under the blue tape. Pic #5 on the B pillar is a Safety Certification sticker...Also available from Marti Auto.

Attachments

• bronco vin 1.jpeg
    bronco vin 1.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 37
  • bronco vin 2.jpeg
    bronco vin 2.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 35
  • bronco vin 4.jpg
    bronco vin 4.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 38
  • bronco vin 5.jpg
    bronco vin 5.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 38
  • bronco vin 6.jpg
    bronco vin 6.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 33
  • bronco vin 3.jpg
    bronco vin 3.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
C

csticks

Bronco enthusiasts, I spoke with the Washington state patrol today and wouldn't you know it, they don't accept glove box VINs and said that it is way more hassle for me to get a VIN/Title change than it is for the seller! So, I am once again in debt to many of you for helping me work thru this issue and will never doubt you again. ;D

On a good note, and like I thought, the seller has a lot of integrity and is working with his state and connections to get a title change that shows the frame VIN. He may even be able to retrieve the original glove box VIN that matches the current frame VIN. Although I will end up with a 1976 body and 1977 frame, at least I'll be legit. I'm really hoping this works out because as someone mentioned earlier in this thread, I am very excited to get into my first Bronco. Its going to make Elk hunting in the Mt Adams area much easier than driving my monster F350!

67RT

Bronco Guru
Bronco enthusiasts, I spoke with the Washington state patrol today and wouldn't you know it, they don't accept glove box VINs and said that it is way more hassle for me to get a VIN/Title change than it is for the seller! So, I am once again in debt to many of you for helping me work thru this issue and will never doubt you again. ;D

On a good note, and like I thought, the seller has a lot of integrity and is working with his state and connections to get a title change that shows the frame VIN. He may even be able to retrieve the original glove box VIN that matches the current frame VIN. Although I will end up with a 1976 body and 1977 frame, at least I'll be legit. I'm really hoping this works out because as someone mentioned earlier in this thread, I am very excited to get into my first Bronco. Its going to make Elk hunting in the Mt Adams area much easier than driving my monster F350!
Unless your 40 year old truck breaks down in the middle of nowhere. I have used AAA countless times with my classic cars.

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
Glad you found out now that info now instead of with it bought and paid for and setting in the HP parking lot, right? Tell the owner to Ck out Marti Auto works to get a replacement glove box tag and open rivets to install when he get it all lined out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

csticks

Maybe I'll just tow my classic bronco to elk camp with the 350!

I agree, am glad I got to the bottom of this and am hopeful it will still work out. I am keeping my eye on the Mecum Kissimmee auction this week to see what those are selling for. These things will eventually price a lot of us out of the market?

chuckyb

Contributor
Good luck and keep us posted on how it works out. Could be valuable information for another brother or sister in WA in the future.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here in FL if it's an out of state purchase you will need to get a VIN Verification to get retitled. DMV does not care about the Data Plate on the Glove Box Door. They Only look at the Frame VIN for a match on the Title.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Here in FL if it's an out of state purchase you will need to get a VIN Verification to get retitled. DMV does not care about the Data Plate on the Glove Box Door. They Only look at the Frame VIN for a match on the Title.

Some states are known by other states to be so lax about VIN checking that when you try to transfer a vehicle from there the other states presume it is stolen (or at least treat you like it).

OP
OP
C

csticks

As it turns out, the seller found the original title for the 77 frame used in the restoration of this bronco. He had sold the rusty 77 body to someone about four years ago who never did anything with it so he made a deal to buy it back and have the title transferred in his name. Because the rusty 77 body also comes with the original glove box cover, it will also come with the sale of this bronco to me.

To make a long story short, I will now be buying a bronco that has a 76 body but was restored using a 77 frame. The title VIN will match the 77 frame but I will also receive the original glove box cover with matching tag information. Because the dash in this restored bronco does not include a glove box cut out due to other after market components are installed behind it, I will receive a loose 77 VIN matching glove box cover.

Granted, I will never be able to sell this bronco in the future to a bronco purist but lets face it, this bronco is no where near factory pure anyways and has been built and restored using all brand new and very best components.

In fact, this bronco was posted by Tcb3078 on Jan 1 on this forum so for this I am grateful:

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/d/early-bronco-frame-off/6427497927.html

I plan to pick this bronco up in North Carolina as soon as the 77 title has been transferred to my seller. Thanks again bronco brothers!

Your thoughts?

BajaFresh75

Bronco Guru
As it turns out, the seller found the original title for the 77 frame used in the restoration of this bronco. He had sold the rusty 77 body to someone about four years ago who never did anything with it so he made a deal to buy it back and have the title transferred in his name. Because the rusty 77 body also comes with the original glove box cover, it will also come with the sale of this bronco to me.

WOW, what a stroke of good luck! Congrats!

BRONCOchild

Bronco Guru
I had to go through a few hoops to get my Colorado registered Bronco to apply for California registration. DMV would not go by the sticker on the door stricker. Glove box had no VIN. I cleaned the VIN on the frame, but they referred me to have it checked by the Highway Patrol.

Once the confirmed the VIN on the frame corresponded to the VIN on the title, they stamped a VIN plate onto the door striker, next to the VIN sticker. It was just a huge hassle, but protocol, I guess.