• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power Steering Pump

Brent13

Loc.
Colorado Springs
Who sells a good power steering pump? Mine seems to be leaking, and even more so when I jack up the front end a few inches. Not sure why it leaks more when jacked up? This is for a 1974, 302, auto. Did the 1974 come with power steering? Looking for the pump and pulley. I see one at Tom's for $199, is it a good one? I am sure I can do cheaper at a local parts shop, but want to be sure I get a good one, and one that fits.

Thank You

Sporto

There are two pumps that work. The OEM style pump is good enough for most stock applications, but the one's you get at the store are rebuilds, and can be weaker and more prone to leaks. I have used one for a while.

You can also do the upgrade to the Saginaw pump, it is from later years on Fords. It is a nice and simple upgrade. The vendors have them (probably what you saw at Tom's), and the look like a canned ham shape with a larger port on the top for fluid.

To use these with your stock box and hoses, you need to buy a small adapter that allows you to thread you OEM pressure hose onto the back of the newer style pump. Again, these are available from the parts places. I am not sure about the bracket, but I think they're interchangeable with the stock pump. I know they are similar, but I don't recall how I mounted my upgraded pump.

Depending on your pulley size, you may have to source a new belt, that is always a fun time. LOL! Good luck, but I can tell you unequivocally that the newer pump is a great upgrade that is well worth the effort.

Yes, the 74 Had PS.

Rich

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Do the saginaw swap. Get the bracket from a bronco vendor and the pump from a local napa. You will need a new pressure hose or gat an adapter. Napa might have the hose adapter or wh stocks em.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Ford put Saginaw pumps on Lincolns at least as early as 1972. It's not exactly new technology. There are new Ford Thompson pumps. Here's a listing by Mac's;http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_t...mp-with-reservoir-improved-design-459352.html. This would be a direct replacement for the OE pump. Most the leaks are the result of knuckleheads prying against the side of the reservoir to tighten the belt. Doing it the right way avoids this problem.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Who sells a good power steering pump? Mine seems to be leaking, and even more so when I jack up the front end a few inches. Not sure why it leaks more when jacked up? This is for a 1974, 302, auto. Did the 1974 come with power steering? Looking for the pump and pulley. I see one at Tom's for $199, is it a good one? I am sure I can do cheaper at a local parts shop, but want to be sure I get a good one, and one that fits.

Thank You[/QUOTE)

Where is yours leaking? From the cap? If so, is it possibly overfilled. Before buying a new one I'd determine what's causing the leak.