• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power Steering Pump Leak

ksbronco75

Contributor
Been chasing P/S leaks down for awhile now. I rebuild the Steering box and isolated the leak to the back of the power steering pump. I can't tell if its coming from the nut on the back, the HP hose fitting (brand new 3-9-24) or the return line which just has a regular hose clamp on it. I think its coming from the nut. The P/S pump was new back in July. Is there a way to do anything for that? I've got teflon tape on the HP connection and I know I have in the past put an O-ring in that flare connection to combat a leak, but I also know that O-ring shoulnd't be in there, so im trying to find the root of the problem. Any ideas? Also I took off the factory P/S pump cooler tonight hoping to maybe find something there as well. Do those little factory coolers do enough to matter?

Last edited:

JKH67302

Contributor
What pump is it? My Saginaw leaked shortly after it was new. At first glance I thought it was the fittings as well, but it ended up being the seal between the reservoir and the pump. The vendor warrantied it out.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

JKH67302

Contributor
Also, all of those fittings are flared (with the exception of the return side at the pump) , so don't use tape. The tape could be causing the fitting to not seal up and that might be your issue as well.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ksbronco75

ksbronco75

Contributor
It’s just a generic pump I got from a local parts store. I replaced one the PO had that looked just like it. I’m not fluent in PS parts. I thought Saginaw was a GM part? I have an A/C on this bronco, maybe I need a Heavier duty Power Steering pump? IMG_2600.png

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I replaced one the PO had that looked just like it. I’m not fluent in PS parts. I thought Saginaw was a GM part?

The pump in the photo that matches the OEM pump is known as a Thompson pump. The Saginaw was more commonly found on GM vehicles, but they came on Ford vehicles as well. I've pulled a number of them off of Econoline vans over the years. The saginaw does put out more pressure and has been the go to pump in the EB hobby for a couple of decades now. If the pump is leaking and less than a year old, the parts house you bought it from should warranty it I would think.

OP
OP
ksbronco75

ksbronco75

Contributor
The pump in the photo that matches the OEM pump is known as a Thompson pump. The Saginaw was more commonly found on GM vehicles, but they came on Ford vehicles as well. I've pulled a number of them off of Econoline vans over the years. The saginaw does put out more pressure and has been the go to pump in the EB hobby for a couple of decades now. If the pump is leaking and less than a year old, the parts house you bought it from should warranty it I would think.
Fixed the leavk. Got a Saginaw and put some copper washers I made for the intake/outlet ports on the steering box. No leaks. Of of thee best tricks I’ve come across on this site