• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

broken windshield fold down knob..

skinner

Contributor
then after drilling to put in extractor, dumb me broke extractor off, cant get pliers on extractor to reverse,tried drilling it again with larger bit and smaller bit,only ate my bit up and made a wallow hole... any advice? its a roadster so i really would like to have both knobs holding windshield in place..

thanks a million,jason

oh and i deserve any dumb comments for what i have done,good thing is, it wont be the last dumb thing i do today....

u10072

Bronco Guru
I would weld about a 7/16" nut to the remaining broken part and remove the bolt-- it's the best technique I've found.

kbank6

I have had to use a center punch and break them out in pieces if there is not enough to grab onto.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If it were me, I'd justify a plasma cutter to the wife, then use any of the above listed options. Mainly because I want a plasma cutter and I have one of those broken bolts too. ;D

moses_m

X2 on the welding the nut or bolt. Use of plenty of wd 40 or penetrating oil on broken piece of course after weld. If you turn it too hard the square nut that is inside the windshield frame will break and spin freely and that is when you will have to cut it out like me. Or if you have a full cage you can tie it in to your cage.

Attachments

• IMG_20140517_231255_091.jpg
    IMG_20140517_231255_091.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 99

joshnjulie1

Loc.
Moreno Valley, Ca
I had broken both mine off. Took it in and they cut the section out and rewelded a new section with a new nut on it. Seamless quality and could not be happier. They even greased the inside they aid to prevent from rusting out like that again.

OP
OP
skinner

skinner

Contributor
Thanks alot all of you! ill give them a try, in order of least invasive up to full on cut out and re-weld, yeah the "i need a tool for this" trick has almost worn out its welcome at my house these days.. heck i got more in tools to fix this ol' thing that i paid for the bronco itself. y'all are a wealth of great knowledge, i'm blessed to be among y'all...thanks, jason

Tram

Bronco Guru
I am going to be dealing with this tomorrow most likely.

The knob broke and it's so rusty inside, I can't get a good ground to weld another nut successfully, so I'm going to cut out the piece and weld in a new patch with a nut welded to it or thread and tap the new patch..

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
The whole problem with the windshield bolts is the bolt sticks through the nut on the other side. The bolt rusts badly on the backside of the nut. When you unscrew the bolt the rust on the backside of the bolt jams into the weld nut.

If you ever get one of these apart trim down the bolts to lessen the amount of bolt sticking through the mounting nut, use antisieze and plated hardware if you can.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
As for repair I would use a small 9/16 hole saw cut out the old and weld in a patch with new welded nut. Standard 3/8" - 16 nut is 9/16" O.D.

with a hole saw you don't have to deal with the broken easy-out.