• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

76 project

Tidewater

Hi there! I've got a 1976 Bronco that has been a slow restoration project for years. I'm about to get some money and I want to finish it. Installed power steering and a 1" body lift and did a lot of body repair work. The engine is not great but the 3 speed transmission is okay. What I know I'm gonna do is get another engine, put in a roll cage, fix the upholstery, put mag wheels on it with spacers to clear the knuckles, and run 12.50 33 all-terrain tires. The fenders have been cut already and I have the flares.

Can't decide on an engine. I want a crate 351W with 350 hp but this may be a daily driver for a while and that may be a little more than I need, with gas and all. Any thoughts on engines? Can't decide on whether to put AC in it or not. I'm okay with rolling down the windows. I want an easy way to take the top off and put it on without damaging the paint. I'd like to run a bikini top most of the year, which is another reason I don't want AC. The heater is a must, AC, not so much. Thoughts on taking the top on and off are welcome. Since it's a 76 it has that catalytic converter. Can some systems bypass this or at least hook up to it? I'd like dual exhaust.

Thanks!

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Welcome to the site.

Sounds like have a good plan so far. We may need a little more info before we can help to answer some of your questions. What part of the country do you live in? That will help determine what type of top and if A/C would be needed. Maybe post some pictures of your project, that may help also.

OP
OP
Tidewater

Tidewater

Welcome to the site.

Sounds like have a good plan so far. We may need a little more info before we can help to answer some of your questions. What part of the country do you live in? That will help determine what type of top and if A/C would be needed. Maybe post some pictures of your project, that may help also.

I live in Suffolk, Va. I'll try to get some shots. Thanks!

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
Tidewater.... welcome! I saw your name and thought had to be a local guy. Sounds like a good plan. I love the classic hard top and half cab look. But I run a soft top, my first Bronco had a soft top and I put a hard top on it. A funny thing happened once bolted on....it never came off. Flash forward 15 yrs to when I got my current Bronco and it came with a soft top. The first thing a did was buy a hard top. I brought it home, me and my son set it on the truck , when we and him struggled to put the top on I immediately thought back to why I never took the other top off. I'm running a Ramage soft top and love it. I got caught in a quick rain last week , pulled over had the top on in 5 mins and away we went.
Just personal preference.

Last edited: