• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'69 Sport - Dana 30 rebuild & Disc or Dana 44...

sneditch

Been peeling this onion and continually finding myself in the "while its out" situation. Would appreciate some advice on my next steps.

Initial plan was to fix the lean by changing body mounts and bushings. Once I got the D30 out I figured I better get it and the front suspension cleaned up. Found most of the suspension in bad shape so new tie rod, drag link, trac bar.

When I bought it in January it pulled hard to the right when braking. Checking the brakes the passenger side drum was really rough turning. Took it apart and found a leaking wheel cylinder. Figured thats a cheap fix but want disc for safety, stopping power, etc. So I've torn down both sides, pulled axles. And since I'm here I should replace u joints. Removed those today and glad I did - needle bearings were rusted dry. Of course, now I can feel the knuckles are "sticky", neither pivoting smoothly.

I'm estimating disc brake setup will run about $750 +$200 for king pin rebuild kits + $100 for the D30 rebuild kit (while its out, change the seals, etc). Also I believe the pinion seal may be leaking so a few more bucks to do that seal. Throw in a few more bucks for the stuff I am overlooking and easily at $1200. Can I get into a rebuilt Dana 44 with Disc Brakes for $1500? $2K with shipping?

Would appreciate some info on reasonable cost for rebuilt D44 with disc brakes.

Thx

SN

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
What are you going to use the Bronco for?

If all street driving or only mild trails then a D44 is not needed.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
To be honest, with the current prices (depending on where you are in the country) you would have $500 to a $1000 in just the purchase of the D44. Then you would have to go through it, just like you are planning on the D30.

The D30 is an ok unit for mild wheeling on smaller tires... It is when you start running big tires and hitting hard trails that it will show it weakness.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
What are you going to use the Bronco for?

If all street driving or only mild trails then a D44 is not needed.

what he said.. depends on your use

D30 be fine for streets only and light wheeling, but D44 hold up a little better if you're off road some

Good luck