• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What years/motor to get a Taurus fan from?

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
I've searched and have found remarkably no info on this. Just mainly Saddlup saying he is running it and a buch of people saying they want to run it.

I was at the junkyard today and found a 92 and a 93 Taurus both with 3.8L V6 motors and both with fans intact. Is this "the one"

It would be very bitchen if someone had info like I found on this thread about the Lincoln Mark VIII: LINK

Linconl fan info:

And all MK VIII fans are not created equal.

93-96 use p/n F3LY 8C607 A
The 93-96 spin 1100 rpms on low and 1850 on highspeed.

97's use p/n F7LZ 8C607 AB
98's use p/n F8LZ 8C607 AA
The 97-98 spin 1800 on low and 2225 on high.

I'd guess that the 4000+ CFM rating that has been tossed around for this fan is the faster spinning MK VIII fan only. T-birds, especially 3.8's most likely got the slower spinning one.

I've also heard certain newer Volvos have a pretty good fan, but it looks suspiciously like the MK VIII fan and may be the same exact fan (with slightly different shroud).

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
If you've got the one with 4-wires (2-speed) that should be the one.

I've got one sitting in my garage right now. I can put up the part # that is on it when I get home after work.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2003/02/electricfan/index.php

I don't know about their 2000 cfm quote (I believe that's low-speed pull), I know high-speed it was over 4,000 cfm.

Should look like this

Attachments

• Taurus fan.jpg
    Taurus fan.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 110
OP
OP
Bronchole

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
I don't know about their 2000 cfm quote (I believe that's low-speed pull), I know high-speed it was over 4,000 cfm.

The quote above is for the Lincoln fan which is supposed to be one step up from the Taurus fan. I just put it there as an example of a good set of sourcing information.

That link to the tech artical was pretty dam good and does seem to confirm that the Tauri that I have located are the correct fans.

Still, if anyone has any further info on these fans, post up!

Thanks,

Dan

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
If you've got the one with 4-wires (2-speed) that should be the one.

I've got one sitting in my garage right now. I can put up the part # that is on it when I get home after work.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2003/02/electricfan/index.php

Should look like this

Yep that's the same one I have, here is one on ebay he is the same person I got mine from and works great, but gotta have room;)
Up for auction is an Electric fan removed from a mid 90's Ford Taurus with a 3.8L Engine. The shroud measures 23in. X 18.5in. X 5.5in. These fan's are quickly becoming a very popular upgrade on street rods because of the incredible airflow. They are said to flow 5000 CFM, thats better than any aftermarket fan you can buy, and better than most engine driven fans! I have one of these on my 350 Powered S10 Blazer and I can vouch for the incredible cooling capability. Save yourself alot of money on aftermarket fans, and free up some horsepower by removing your engine driven fan and adding this slim electric fan! The image is only a representation because I have a few of these fans. All fans are cleaned up and in good cosmetic condition.This fan has high current requirements. With every one of these fans I sell, I include a wiring diagram which you can use as a reliable guide to wire it up correctly. No other seller offers you that with one of these fans! I test all fans by running them for 20 mins straight, it is guaranteed to work and will be replaced if it fails within 7 days...EXCHANGE ONLY! Good Luck!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Taur...ryZ33600QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Keep in mind that while many refer to it (myself included) as the Taurus fan conversion that they are not the only Ford cars with the same fan. Basically you are looking for a mid 90's Ford car with the 3.8 that has the 2 speed fan. They also are not all shaped the same either. Here is one that is identical (same 2 speed motor and same diameter fan) that I grabbed as an extra when I recently replaced mine but has a different shaped shroud. (I dropped the frontend on a rock that bent the radiator and shoved the fan into the motor)

Attachments

• 2SpdFan.jpg
    2SpdFan.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 99

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
How are the 2 speeds controlled?
Do you need to seperate thermal switches that activate at different temps?

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
How are the 2 speeds controlled?
Do you need to seperate thermal switches that activate at different temps?

On mine I just hooked up some spade connections to the hot wire from the relay. Plug one side in for high or unplug and plug it into the low side. I can run it on low in the winter and hight when the temps are up. Saddleup had his hooked up different and only runs on high now. I am sure he can expain it better than I.

FASTERDAMITT

Loc.
Oceanside
Are thes fans pushers or pullers? I only have 2.5 inch's between my waterpump and aluminum radiator. I can't find a puller that will fit there.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
On mine I just hooked up some spade connections to the hot wire from the relay. Plug one side in for high or unplug and plug it into the low side. I can run it on low in the winter and hight when the temps are up. Saddleup had his hooked up different and only runs on high now. I am sure he can expain it better than I.

I understand how to setup the realys and stuff.
I have a 1 speed electric fan controlled by a switch that comes on at 185 deg F and off at 170 deg F.
I was just curious, if you wanted to use both speeds if you need to run 2 relays and 2 different temp switches.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
On mine I started out with a thermal switch and a switch in the dash on seperate circuits but I had troubles with the fan shutting off on the freeway. The main issue with it was that the fan was blocking too much air when it was off. I just run the fan on high all of the time now and haven't had the thermal switch hooked up for a couple of years. It is still on a switch so I can shut it off but I avoid doing so (WHen I do I have a tendacy to forget to turn it back on). I've never run the low side.

There actually are several ways to wire the fan in that could include the low and high speeds. Low speed could either be on a thermal switch at 160 or so or could be set up to run all of the time. Then high speed could be set to kick in at 200. (Or less for a carbed motor)

You can also combine a regular switch and thermal switch in the same circuit. That is how I did mine originally. The thermal switch was set up just as a backup and was wired directly into the battery so it would run with or without the engine running. (To cool it down when stopping ont he trails) Then the switch inside was wired into the accessory side of the switch so it would run when the engine was running or could be turned on by switching to the accessories when it wasn't. If you do run this setup though be sure you run a diode in the thermal switch circuit. If not then it can be interesting when everything in the Bronco turns on by itself because the fan comes on. (feeding back through the accessory side) I found this latter out when I inadvertantly clipped the diode out on one of my attempts to clean up the wiring. I cut that circuit to keep it from feeding back through and never got around to putting a diode back into it to hook it back up.

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
Are thes fans pushers or pullers? I only have 2.5 inch's between my waterpump and aluminum radiator. I can't find a puller that will fit there.

You won't clear with only 2.5" of clearance, this fan goes between the rad and the engine. I'm making a tubed core support to push my rad further forward to create the clearance needed for the install.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
You won't clear with only 2.5" of clearance, this fan goes between the rad and the engine. I'm making a tubed core support to push my rad further forward to create the clearance needed for the install.

If i remember correctly mine was right around 5 1/2" thick maybe just a little bit less. I had to move my core support out:(

OX1

Bronco Guru
I've searched and have found remarkably no info on this. Just mainly Saddlup saying he is running it and a buch of people saying they want to run it.

I was at the junkyard today and found a 92 and a 93 Taurus both with 3.8L V6 motors and both with fans intact. Is this "the one"

Yes, that should be the one. I am running 2 on my 79 with 400 motor, so I am no help in how it will work on an EB with a 302/351....... I am also running that 150$ variable speed controller and it seems very rare that both fans are anywhere near full song.

The lincon fan (which was an earlier one, not the good one) seemed almost identical on the force of air it discharged compared to the tortus fan. They also drew almost identical amps for startup and running.

Due to that, I believe the top rated Mk VIII fan should be subtantially better than the early MK VIII or taurus fans..........

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
How is everyone mounting the fan?

I cut two pieces of flat bar about two inches long drilled holes in the fan/shroud and used the same radiator shroud mounting holes. Did only one on the bottom. hth

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
How is everyone mounting the fan?

I drilled two holes in the top of the shrowed and mounted that to the radiator flange. drilled two small holes in the bottom of the shrowed, left and right and used a tranny cooler mounting kit for that. It worked out well. Nice and snug. I also used a dremel to "tweek" the shrowed around areas on the radiator to get a nice clean fit. I finished that we some soft molding strips down one edge where the shrowed wasn't flat. In the end, it fit tight and seems to be working well. On low speed, it will hold a sheet of paper on the grill and on high speed it will suck it to the grill if dropped close to it! It holds the temp steady while sitting and running on low and high.