• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Seeking help with my Wheel situation.

Jalondo

Contributor
I recently put full size 1/2 ton axles from a 1979 Ford bronco into my 71, I just bought some Hummer run-flat wheels. Naturally I need to go to a 3/4 or 1ton axle to match the bolt pattern. We tried putting the wheel on my dads 79 truck and it rubbed the steering link and the brakes..

I'm looking for tips or tricks I can do to get those beauties on my pony.

Thanks for any help.

Jesse

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
If you are talking about the H1 wheels I think most guys get them re-centered and that allows you to change the bolt pattern and backspacing. There are some connections over on Pirate for this.

OX1

Bronco Guru
If you are talking about the H1 wheels I think most guys get them re-centered and that allows you to change the bolt pattern and backspacing. There are some connections over on Pirate for this.

Yes, the backspacing is in the 7" range, putting the rim way too far inboard. New centers are sold which will allow you to move BS in the 3-3.5 range and keep your 5 lug (if you like). The centers weld in and should be put in by someone pretty good at fabbing and welding, or you'll end up with a ton of runout and alot of vibration from the wheel. After you weld in the new one's, you cut out the old 8 lug center and jsut leave the hole there. I would recommend the pressed centers, as they are stronger (like stock steel wheel) than the flat plate centers that are also sold.

OP
OP
J

Jalondo

Contributor
thanks for the info..Do you know a good place to check for new centers?