• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

rocksliders as a pull point???

76 crew

Loc.
Kahaluu, Hawaii
got my first body damage yesterday, fooling around in 7' tall california grass (hides the trenches, and rocks), in my backyard, and there was a blown over tree hiding in it. nothing serious, just pushed in the rear quarter a little. now i wanna cut more fender and go 37-38's (just for wheeling, i'll keep 35's on the street)

...but first things first. duff rocksliders have a bar welded on to keep your door safe from trees, rocks, etc.

who has 'em? (1/8" / 1/4")

anyone else make something similar?

can i pull on 'em when i roll over????

some areas in my backyard are pretty steep, so i know i'll be rolling over, hopefully no flipping or tumbling, so more pull points are a must.

Daddy4zack

Loc.
El Dorado Hills
You can pull on them if you want a flying piece of steel in your head.. WTF?? Think about this.. Is the Rocker panel secured to the frame? Is this a good anchor point???? Maybe a better choice would be the side mirror or the exhaust pipe..:mad:

Aaron

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
When I rolled over at Peacock Flats, I needed to get pulled back upright on an incline. It was done by hooking up to my rock rails that I connected to the frame..

jason

Loc.
harned, ky
You can pull on them if you want a flying piece of steel in your head.. WTF?? Think about this.. Is the Rocker panel secured to the frame? Is this a good anchor point???? Maybe a better choice would be the side mirror or the exhaust pipe..:mad:

Aaron

i usually prefer to loop the chain around my coil springs when i need a pull point...;D

OP
OP
76 crew

76 crew

Loc.
Kahaluu, Hawaii

Aaron

bolting a pipe to a plate, and bolting that plate to just the rocker is still gonna fuck up the rocker when you hit something laterally with it, unless its tied in somehow. so duff's might be tied in to the frame somehow being that it can support the weight of your truck sideways, without smashing the rocker, i thought there might be more to it than the pic showed, they don't show, or explain too much about it in detail.

i didn't ask if a rockslider can be a pull point, i asked if a duff, or similar designed rockslider can be used as a pull point. (thinking that theres more to this design)

so judging by your answer - you have duff's, and they don't tie into the frame.

thanks, that's all you had to say, didn't have to be facetious about it.

Mad, can you send me pics of yours?

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Most of the vendor available rock sliders use the greater surface area of the plate to disperse the energy over the whole rocker. The tube on the sliders is welded to the ski and also disperses the force across the entire plate. The only bolts are the fasteners that secure the "skis" to the rocker. This has worked well for lots of folks for stumps, rocks, trees, etc. They would not be a good anchor point as they are not designed to be a pull point....they are fastened with about a half a dozen to a dozen fasteners...which are meant to keep them secure against the rocker for impacts. If you trust 6-10 (5/16 or 3/8") sheet metal screws to support the weight of your rig through 16 guage sheet metal in a pull AWAY from the rocker than you are more trusting than I. Maybe for pulling lawn surfers (perpindicular to the mounting)...but not for uprighting your truck. As far as supporting the weight of the rig toward the rocker, no problem.

Your cage-opposite side from where you are pulling from would be the better option as a point to rotate you upright. Good luck in finding other solutions to your dilemnas.

Wheeling in your own back-yard...in Hawaii...with hills and tall grass...in Hawaii...your own back-yard...man, that sounds pretty tough to me. I hope you are able to cope. Maybe we can work out a property swap or something, so you dont have those problems anymore. Not sure I could deal with it, BUT I would give it a good try.;D

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
when I rolled mine I just wraped the chain around the frame

BroncoDawg

Loc.
Bishop, CA
I used my door handle once to pull my rig back over.....DOOHHH!! NOT!
Using the rockslider to pull back over might work depending on the amount of rust in the sheetmetal it's screwed to, but unless it is welded/bolted to the frame, not a great idea. If Madgyver told you that he was working you!
Mahalo!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Wouldn't chance the sliders.... Find another pulling point..

Madgyver

Bronco Madman

Attachments

• DSC04056.JPG
    DSC04056.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC04057.JPG
    DSC04057.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC04059.JPG
    DSC04059.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC01903sm.jpg
    DSC01903sm.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC01915sm.jpg
    DSC01915sm.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 66

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Yep, just to the frame..

Kinda triangulated it with 4 lengths of 1" PIPE
(for all the nay sayers, Yes, schedule 40 1" pipe! Not DOM tubing but pipe)

Center 2 pieces are welded low onto the frame and the 2 ends are welded high onto the frame..

OP
OP
76 crew

76 crew

Loc.
Kahaluu, Hawaii
right on Mad, exactly what i was looking for

what is that piece that looks like its bolted on, but hanging down from the rail?

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
OP
OP
76 crew

76 crew

Loc.
Kahaluu, Hawaii
i don't work with metal for a living, so i'm not familiar with "schedule 40" terms.

would it be the same as "triple x black steel pipe"

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
schedule 40 is in reference to the thickness of the wall on the pipe, 40 is really thick ;D

jboomer

Loc.
Havelock, NC
i usually prefer to loop the chain around my coil springs when i need a pull point...;D

If you strap yourself into your seat real tight, you can hang your arm outside the window and have someone wrap the chain around your arm! That'll pull you up-right in a hurry!!