• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Can I pull a 3100 pound camper with my 75

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If a VW beetle can tow a travel trailer, I'm sure a bronco can too.
The video is great
View attachment 920012
From an engineering standpoint, there is a lot of good about that design. There is no added mass behind the rear axle. The tail wagging the dog. The weight distribution is excellent, exceeds what you can get from a weight distributing hitch and can do it over uneven ground.

If you go back and looks at the older 70s Ford super trailer special trucks. The look a bit goofy, but they are functional for what they were designed to do. The rear axle is pushed back extra far, about as close to the rear bumper/tailgate as possible. It is done that way to reduce the leverage the trailer can put into the vehicle. Longer wheelbase, shorter rear overhang.
Even look at old school tow trucks, there is almost nothing behind the rear axle. Very heavy tongue weight, but right at the axle. They still like big heavy engines up front as counterweights. I remember a friend who worked at a body shop that had there own tow truck. The stories about super sketchy tows where the front axle barely touching the ground. Don't turn the steering wheel unless you put a little brake first to load the front axle. That was in the 90s when bumper lifts were getting replaced with roll backs.