• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Duff 4 Link finished! - Mini how to.

chris

No more Rock Crawler
Just finished up the final installation yesterday and thought I would post some information to help the next guy.

Some of you may have seen my other post that pointed out the issues I was having aligning the pinion angle. It can be found here-

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130412

The fix came down to me triming the rear of the truss and moving it further up the top of the axle towards the front. Mark at Duffs spent several hours with me going back and fourth on the issue. Set the truck at ride height (about 11 1/4" from frame to top of axle for 5 1/2" lift) and set the rear axle with the driveshaft attached so the pinion is in line with the drivehsaft.

Some things to consider when installing this:

1. If you have the newer CAGE long arm bracket you may have to trim the rear part of it to fit the 4 link bracket.
2. Exhaust, forget about using the one you had. You will be replacing it.
3. Rear Drive shaft, Yep, might need a new one of these too. I got mine at Tom Woods Driveshaft. They were great!
4. Tack weld everything, measure everything twice! Didn't cause me any rear issues but worth mentioning again.
5. You will spend a bit of time cleaning out the powder coat from the bracket bolt holes and around the areas that will be welded. It's a shame they can't send it to you without a coating.
6. Some kits may have the wrong size spacers for the lower arm frame end Heim rods. You will have to trim them to fit. Duffs is aware of the issue.

Some things I did different-

I used a rear coil mount from Ballistic Fab that another member here used as well. http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Adjustable-coil-buckets_p_1183.html
I thought it was a pretty slick bracket. It will let me adjust the height if I change anything on the truck later.

I used my old Rancho RS9000 adjustable shocks instead of the Duffs. I am able to set the dampining to what I like.

Tried some back yard wheeling and drove it down the street. Felt ok. Figure I could have gone up the tree a bit more as well. Hope to have it out wheeling next week.

Feel free to ask any questions that come up.

Attachments

• DSC02841 (Small).JPG
    DSC02841 (Small).JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 318
  • DSC02842 (Small).JPG
    DSC02842 (Small).JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 478
  • DSC02843 (Small).JPG
    DSC02843 (Small).JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 317
  • DSC02844 (Small).JPG
    DSC02844 (Small).JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 276
  • DSC02845 (Small).JPG
    DSC02845 (Small).JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 220
  • DSC02846 (Small).JPG
    DSC02846 (Small).JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 268
  • DSC02847 (Small).JPG
    DSC02847 (Small).JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 467
  • DSC02848 (Small).JPG
    DSC02848 (Small).JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 249

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
Did you extend the wheelbase at all? How hard would it be to extend it with the kit?

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
how dose it do on road's? im planing a one link in the back of mine but i hear its dose really bad on roads cus it will have so much flex that it will have extream body roll.

4lofun

what about price? is it worth as much as they are charging. seems like alot.lets here back after wheeling

OP
OP
chris

chris

No more Rock Crawler
Did you extend the wheelbase at all? How hard would it be to extend it with the kit?

I pushed it back about 2 inches. Can't go any further without removing the rear cross member. I have heard of folks doing it.

OP
OP
chris

chris

No more Rock Crawler
how dose it do on road's? im planing a one link in the back of mine but i hear its dose really bad on roads cus it will have so much flex that it will have extream body roll.

I only drove it to the end of the block and back. I've heard good and bad things about road manners and 4 links. Not sure what to tell you there.

OP
OP
chris

chris

No more Rock Crawler
what about price? is it worth as much as they are charging. seems like alot.lets here back after wheeling

How much is your time worth? You could pay maybe half the price in parts? I don't have the patiance to build one of these. I had an issue with the design from the beginning and went so far as to bring a spare frame into the garage to mock it up on. I spent a day just playing around with angles and longer upper links and it drove me nuts. Math is not my strong suit.

It was worth the extra money to me. (like I have a choice now right?) %)

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Chris, good job. Glad you got it fixed. When are you thinking about going to try it out? I might be able to meet you at Rausch one day this week.

L&D's Broncos

Looks good Chris! I just returned this afternoon from K-town and Duff's shop, delivering a Bronco and Mark and Thomas were hard at it working on a new project. I also checked out the new rigging Mark built for the truss and looks real good. I will try to get some info posted on his latest project in a few weeks. It's awesome. You guys have fun wheelin' while we work....

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Chris good to hear you got it back together. I hope it was worth all the time and effort you put into it. I guess you have been working on it over a month? I see you are going wheeling tomorrow at Rausch Creek. Hope it works out well, post some pics on the trail.

OP
OP
chris

chris

No more Rock Crawler
Looks good Chris! I just returned this afternoon from K-town and Duff's shop, delivering a Bronco and Mark and Thomas were hard at it working on a new project. I also checked out the new rigging Mark built for the truss and looks real good. I will try to get some info posted on his latest project in a few weeks. It's awesome. You guys have fun wheelin' while we work....

Thanks Donald, guess Suzy is happy to have her truck back.

ep67bro, yep started working on it over Thanksgiving week. It's been a long haul. To be fair though I also put long arms on the front over the same period of time.

onebadd73

Loc.
Moreno Valley, Ca.
Looks good Chris, I'm currently installing mine. I had the upper and lower arms powdercoated grey to match my cage arms. I also went full width so I had to tweak my truss and I moved my rear end back 6".

OP
OP
chris

chris

No more Rock Crawler
Well, got a offroad trip under the belt. Worked well, cleared muffler ok, got a little rub on one spring tower but nothing bad, figure I might need to adjust the links a little.

Attachments

• DSC02890 (Small).JPG
    DSC02890 (Small).JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 217

BroncoDawg

Loc.
Bishop, CA
Are the inboard shocks close to hitting under flex. Looks like a tight fit for them and with that in mind, did you look at coilover shocks instead of shocks and coils? Know they are pricey, but....?

Do people move the crossmember forward to stretch the wheelbase further back, or....? Gas tank must be an issue too?

Looks good, let's see some extreme flex pics!;D

rustfixer

chris, its zack from blue rocks, that is totally killer man, period.....
great job on stickin it out, I cant imagine how many times you must have felt like throwin tools across the garage. I hope its well worth it and I hope you get many trail miles out of it. the rig looks awesome, how long has those tires been on it ?? I dont remember seeing it with them on, they do look good. hopefully we'll see you up here with it soon. we got my lil red half cap goin so I should be able to tag along on the next run without being a passenger so much!! great job!

OP
OP
chris

chris

No more Rock Crawler
Are the inboard shocks close to hitting under flex. Looks like a tight fit for them and with that in mind, did you look at coilover shocks instead of shocks and coils? Know they are pricey, but....?

Do people move the crossmember forward to stretch the wheelbase further back, or....? Gas tank must be an issue too?

Looks good, let's see some extreme flex pics!;D

Greg, the shocks look like they are ok, the spings bottom out first. I mocked it up on another frame before hand and everything looked good.

Coil overs, yea I thought about it but just too much money right now. You can move it almost 2 inches further back before hitting the rear cross member as it is. Most people will put a new cross member in further back and move the gas tank.

See you in BAJA next year!

OP
OP
chris

chris

No more Rock Crawler
chris, its zack from blue rocks, that is totally killer man, period.....
great job on stickin it out, I cant imagine how many times you must have felt like throwin tools across the garage. I hope its well worth it and I hope you get many trail miles out of it. the rig looks awesome, how long has those tires been on it ?? I dont remember seeing it with them on, they do look good. hopefully we'll see you up here with it soon. we got my lil red half cap goin so I should be able to tag along on the next run without being a passenger so much!! great job!

Zack! I was thinking about selling it at one point! :( Fustration was up there. Almost called you guys about coming up over the holiday but didn't want to bother you guys. Got the tires over the summer, had them for the Roundup. Just let me know when you guys want to go out, I'm only an hour away.

Thanks

OP
OP
chris

chris

No more Rock Crawler
BTTT for someone who was looking for this info.