• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

"Gunny Highway" Build **IT DRIVES!!!!**

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
I have seen many build threads of other guys and I knew the day would come when I would be able to start my own. That day is today. I brought my Bronco home on Oct. 1st 2005. It is a '66 and after researching the vin # I discovered that this truck was actually built in the very first month of production for the Bronco. August of 1965. It was most likely within one of the first 500 ever built by Ford. The PO hacked the frame so badly that it had to be replaced so that lead to the frame off build I am still working on. But for 3 years now everything has been removal and repair. But very soon the ratchet will be switched to the on position and the resurrection will begin.

I'm sure you are wondering about the name of the truck "Gunny Highway". Well that is the character that Clint Eastwood played in the old Marine Corp movie Heartbreak Ridge. He has a line in the movie that states "They improvised, they adapted, they overcame" and that line has been part of my life since the first time I saw the movie. Very early in my build I made the decision that my rig would be very basic, with no chrome, no frills, no heat, no BS. The truck is going to be flat olive green and flat black.

I have 3 years worth of pics to put out for everyone and I'll try to do it in chronological order to the best of my ability to show where I started with the truck and where I am today. I am going to order my first batch of parts this week and with those I'll have a rolling chassis again. As always with these build threads I'll update you as I progress. Any and all comments are welcome.

Attachments

• 1st Bronco pic.jpg
    1st Bronco pic.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 324
  • floor pans out PS.jpg
    floor pans out PS.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 131
  • floor pans out DS.jpg
    floor pans out DS.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 120
  • floor and tranny tunnel problems.jpg
    floor and tranny tunnel problems.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 135
  • Bronco front suspension.jpg
    Bronco front suspension.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 110
  • Bronco frame front.jpg
    Bronco frame front.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 141
  • body off the frame.jpg
    body off the frame.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 165
  • Bronco.JPG
    Bronco.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 195
  • paint removal in process.jpg
    paint removal in process.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 118
  • floor pans replaced rearview.jpg
    floor pans replaced rearview.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 169
  • floor pans replaced PS.jpg
    floor pans replaced PS.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 216
  • floor pans replaced DS.jpg
    floor pans replaced DS.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
OP
OP
Smokeater11

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
More pics

Attachments

• after POR 3.jpg
    after POR 3.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Before POR 1.jpg
    Before POR 1.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 86
  • before POR 3.jpg
    before POR 3.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 67
  • frame PORed before & after 007.jpg
    frame PORed before & after 007.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 102
  • frame PORed before & after 001.jpg
    frame PORed before & after 001.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 84
  • My Bronco pics 027.jpg
    My Bronco pics 027.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 58
  • My Bronco pics 024.jpg
    My Bronco pics 024.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 56
  • My Bronco pics 025.jpg
    My Bronco pics 025.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 112
  • body mounts repair 005.jpg
    body mounts repair 005.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 172
  • body mounts repair 003.jpg
    body mounts repair 003.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 99
  • body mounts repair 002.jpg
    body mounts repair 002.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 135
  • after POR 1.jpg
    after POR 1.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 89
OP
OP
Smokeater11

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
more pics

Attachments

• My Bronco pics 002.jpg
    My Bronco pics 002.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 302 motor 01.jpg
    302 motor 01.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 178
  • DS window removed.jpg
    DS window removed.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 62
  • PS door longview.jpg
    PS door longview.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 50
  • PS door frontview.jpg
    PS door frontview.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 48
  • body mounts repair 008.jpg
    body mounts repair 008.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 94
OP
OP
Smokeater11

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
And this is where I stand today, body is still on the rotisserre, frame has been top coated black and is on saw horses. 9 inch is ready to install, D44 gets the gears changed in it soon and the disc brake conversion is layed out and ready to install. I am ordering my front and rear springs and bushing kits this week and then it all starts to go back together. I don't have pics of them but the doors, hood, tailgate, dash, and windshield frame are all also completely stripped and coated with POR 15 and nestled in the rafters of my shop waiting to be installed. I am going to take some more pics today of what I have been working on this weekend and I'll have them up this evening. Now that everyone is up to speed, what do you think?????

Last edited:
OP
OP
Smokeater11

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
I forgot to tell ya'll what the plans are for it. 302 roller rocker motor with cam, shorty headers with custom exhaust, NP 435/D20 with homemade gear banger shifter. 4.5" lift up front, 3.5" lift in back, custom dash with aftermarket guages, all normal knobed fixtures will be on toggle switches, push button start, removable steering wheel, aftermarket seats, full family cage, and custom made soft top with removable side panels. That's the highlights....

OP
OP
Smokeater11

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
The PO was building it to be a mud truck running 44s but got half way through it and quit. Basically redneck engineering. It had 8 inch blocks under the rear springs if that gives you an idea. The block was welded to the spring perch...

Edit: I thought you were talking about the leaf springs on the original frame. The reason for the 4.5'' front springs is so the truck will ride level and not nose down. I hate that.

Attachments

• My Bronco pics 006.jpg
    My Bronco pics 006.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 133

66ALRIDE

Contributor
Just BIP It!
Loc.
Dothan, AL
I remember when mine was torn down like that. Right in the middle of another frame off. Looks good and keep at. Like a buddy of mine told me "one bolt a day is closer then you were yesterday."

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
Take your time and do it right, but hurry every chance you get.;D Looking good.

OP
OP
Smokeater11

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
Here is what I have been working on this weekend. Got the D44 ready for the new gears, and got almost all of the chrome parts blacked out. The glove box door is the color that the body of the truck will be, ultra flat olive green. Also got most of the disc brake stuff cleaned and ready for assembly once the gears are in.

Attachments

• parts 004.jpg
    parts 004.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 90
  • parts 003.jpg
    parts 003.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 244
  • parts 002.jpg
    parts 002.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 98

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
Here is what I have been working on this weekend. Got the D44 ready for the new gears, and got almost all of the chrome parts blacked out. The glove box door is the color that the body of the truck will be, ultra flat olive green. Also got most of the disc brake stuff cleaned and ready for assembly once the gears are in.

What did you do to the chrome parts? I like the look. Did you remove the chrome and paint?

OP
OP
Smokeater11

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
I explored the idea of removing the chrome but I eventually just took a roll loc pad on a die grinder and just scuffed it up real good. On the hubs the chrome was starting to peel so I used a razor blade and it peeled right off. On the back of the mirror I used a maroon scotch brite pad and rubbed it until it looked like brushed aluminum. I don't know if the paint will stick long term but if I doesn't I'll just take it off and spray it again. It's just flat black spray paint.

OP
OP
Smokeater11

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
Take measurement of everything!!!

What do you mean by this? Are you looking for something inparticular?

On a different note, I just got off the phone from ordering my front and rear springs and c- bushings. They should be here Monday of next week. I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself. FINALLY I'm going to get to do something substantial in the rebuilding process. Is it Monday yet????

1owner66

Loc.
Georgetown Texas
Perhaps later down the line I might. Last night when I saw this I didn't have time to read it and see how far along you were. I just saw a 66 build up. When I disassembled (tore) mine apart years ago I didn't know about this site and the vendors so i figured oh what the hell. If I ever get to it I'm sure I will regret that later. But now I have CB so I'm sure I can get help here.

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I like it! Couple questions for you. What did you paint the frame with? Did you bend your own floor pans and what guage sheet metal?? Keep going!