• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Doors off+soft top with windows zipped out+highway speeds

kat

Loc.
Bristol
So what will happen??? Seems to me that air will catch it like a parachute and be one big ol mess. Was debating on buying a full size soft top but plan on going with trail doors since it can get warm if Florida, but don't want the damn thing ripping off at 60mph. Thanks

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Depends on the top. Buy one made with the cheaper material and theres a good chance it can tear and blow off like my kayline/stc did. Since then I ordered a bc top. Beefier canvas and sturdier yhardware. The kayline/stc hardware also rattled like crazy without the sides attatched.

nickgp

Bronco Guru
Rolling up the back window is the way to go. Shouldn’t have any problems.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Yes, I failed to mention I would roll up or unzip back window.

At the moment I don't have BC Top money, was looking at Rampage

Digger556

Rampage top here.

I've run it no doors and sides zipped up a lot. With the rear window open, it is too windy. I usually roll back window zipped closed unless speeds are low.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Rampage top here.

I've run it no doors and sides zipped up a lot. With the rear window open, it is too windy. I usually roll back window zipped closed unless speeds are low.

What do you consider too windy?? Meaning the top feels like its gonna blow off?? Top slapping around in the wind?? I have run a bikini top before with doors on it...it was windy/noisy but not aggravating to me.

Digger556

What do you consider too windy?? Meaning the top feels like its gonna blow off?? Top slapping around in the wind?? I have run a bikini top before with doors on it...it was windy/noisy but not aggravating to me.

I'm pretty tolerant of noise and wind, but it was windy enough to impair my ability to watch the road with the dirt and debris it was pulling in the cabin. And it pulled in more exhaust fumes.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
I'm pretty tolerant of noise and wind, but it was windy enough to impair my ability to watch the road with the dirt and debris it was pulling in the cabin. And it pulled in more exhaust fumes.

Im going to be new to trail doors at highway speed 'feel'. And I was worried about wind whipping around and taking dirt off floorboard and throwing it in my nose...;D

Hultzger

Loc.
Martinez
I have the Ramage soft top with the Bestop 2-piece soft doors. Coming back from the Wildhorses Roundup I drove anywhere from 50 to 65mph on the highway for about 60 miles. With the windows “rolled down” and back window “rolled up” the fabric slapped around a bit, but it never felt like it was going rip off, just noisy and it was hard to have a conversation with my buddy without yelling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eoth

Bronco Guru
I drive at highway speeds with no doors and a full length Bikini Top (which is essentially basically what you are doing) ... Flaps a bit but no problems. I imagine yours would "flap" less. Yes its windy and crap inside your rig will get airborne but it clears quickly. If you are expecting flying debris a pair of sunglasses comes in handy..

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
make sure your windshield is braced to the roll bar or cage so you can tension the top with out windshield vibrations. then when driving down the highway pop in some foam earplugs. you will hear sounds and people just fine but wind noise will be under control. You will enjoy the trip much better.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Thanks everyone, I think I might be able to handle the noise. Im used to it with the bikini top. I don't have a full roll cage and was concerned about the hardware/posts that come with the tops being shaken around going down the road. The reason I want to do this is mainly shade my friends that sit in the back from sun going down the road.