• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

VSS-do I need it?

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
Im thinking about going to MAF FI, my question is with a C4 and dana 20 do I need a vss and if so what can I use and still retain my stock speedo?

hmh800

To the best of my knowledge the answer is no. I believe the VSS's only purpose in your application is to increase idle speed when you are decelerating to keep the engine from stalling. This is what I gathered when I was putting a '91 mustang motor in my Jeep. I did not put in a VSS and never had any issues. I just sold the Jeep and plan to put another efi motor in my '68 Bronco and do not plan to use a VSS (for what it's worth). Hope this helps.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I can't say for sure if you'll need it. I added one when I converted. If you do need one you can add it and retain the stock speedo and cable. Mine came from a Fox body mustang.

byson1

Loc.
Nashville
On my EFi conversion I used a motor/wiring/computer from an 93 model automatic equipped Cougar. Without the VSS sensor the engine would stall regularly when coming to a stop. I hooked one up and have not had the problem since. My Bronco has the stock 3 speed manual tranny. It seems that the computer used (auto vs manual) may have more to do with this issue then than the actual tranny used in the Bronco.

Terkish

It seems to be hit and miss if you need a VSS. I am running a EFI and do not have a VSS with no problems. But I know people that had to run one due to stalling when coming to a stop. I don't know why some are fine with out and some need it. I would say put it all together and go for a drive. If you need it they are easy enough to install and you can still use your stock speedo. If you don't need it then great no worries. This is the approach I took. Good Luck.

hrleydavdsonEB

Loc.
lyman
I have done 3 EFI engine swaps into broncos. 1st 94 mustang 302 and C4 No VSS needed, 2nd 89 mustang 302 and stock 3 spd No VSS needed, 3rd 347 with heads, cam, intakes, injectors all the goodies and an AOD it had to have a VSS or it would die every time you let off the gas. Some need them some don't.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
The VSS in an input to the computer. Ford would not have installed it if they didn't think it was needed. Why not use it?

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
The VSS in an input to the computer. Ford would not have installed it if they didn't think it was needed. Why not use it?

>>>> for some reason Ford racing/motorsports has no VSS option on their latest one piece harness for EFI conversions , although you could add the 2 wires easily if needed..... Ryan did say this in one of the cons to this harness since it may 'cause stalling ... here's a link to the manual of the M-12071-A50 harness off Ryans site.. http://fordfuelinjection.com/files/M-12071-A50.pdf