• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Good Story!! Why this site rocks!!

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
So there I was cruising around in my baby for no good reason. I just wanted to hear the engine and smell the fumes ;D I feel the need to do that several times a day. All of a sudden the engine just stops. Lucky for me it was right in front of a mechanics place.

I asked them to check it out and went for lunch. Ive been trolling the site to get to know all the systems in our beloved EB. It just so happens that the fuel system was quite fresh in my memory, and I had just made a list of all the parts with part numbers and pricing as well as where to get everything.

Now the horror. I get back from lunch about an hour later to find the hood still open and just about everything fuel related was removed from the car. The fuel pump some of the lines, the filters etc. I asked wtf happened? He just said we tested everything and your fuel pump is dead. We already ordered you another one and the part will cost $250. Well that sounded wrong to me. Busted out the list I had just made and looked at the price. Its a Carter 4070 and its 75 bucks. At this point I just did not believe anything he said anymore. I grabbed the pump and hooked it to the battery and it worked just fine. I reconnected it. Put the fuel lines back where they belong. Sucked on the pipe to prime it. Got a mouth full of gas. They guy says that the pump is no good. It has no pressure. I guess he has not worked on carburetor engines before. Hooked everything up and figured the only thing left that could be wrong is the damn oil pressure safety switch, which it was. I bypassed it and started the engine as usual.

Should have seen his face. He still did not want to let me go because he had ordered the fuel pump already. According to him its an "special industrial 24v high powered pump?" I needed to pay him 250 bucks plus 300 labor for taking my shit apart. 24v eh?

I tell you if the truck was not in the store I would have shot this man. In the short time I have spent with it, I have come to the point where if you mess with my truck you die :cool: So I called my cop buddy who arrived 5 minutes later with his buddys who all happen to be hot rodders and watched while the crook tried to explain his way out of this situation. Dumb mofo. While the crook owner was not looking I gave the helper 40 bucks and was on my merry way.

All I can say is this. Thank you to all the experts on this site who provide such valuable information so that newbs like myself can learn and slowly be on our way to being self sufficient. You guys all ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pony2

Loc.
Lenoir City Tn.
I am so glad you caught that! what a dips#@% crook! Where did he get 24v from anyway?! You havnt copied Suzys rig and put 2 batteries in youres did you??;););DLmao! Learn all you can and keep the crooks like that at bay!

OP
OP
NY-Bronco

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
I Where did he get 24v from anyway?! You havnt copied Suzys rig and put 2 batteries in youres did you??

Not yet anyway. With the winch arriving any day now and the 600w stereo and other goodies on the way, I may have to do it sooner than I think ;D

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's too funny Herman! I wonder if that was your off-road cutting out problem the other day???

I also know Edelbrock says to have no more than 6 PSI at your carb during idle and to set a pressure regulator to 5.5 psi. You mention an electric pump, are you running a regulator too?

Roger

Riverrat

Loc.
Discovery Bay, CA
Hooked everything up and figured the only thing left that could be wrong is the damn oil pressure safety switch, which it was. I bypassed it and started the engine as usual.

Is that switch a stock item? If so, where is it located and what years were equipped with it?

OP
OP
NY-Bronco

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
Hooked everything up and figured the only thing left that could be wrong is the damn oil pressure safety switch, which it was. I bypassed it and started the engine as usual.

Is that switch a stock item? If so, where is it located and what years were equipped with it?

I figuring that it is probably not a stock item. The switch on my 72 is located on the front right side of the block. If you run an electric fuel pump you generally need a safety device that shuts off the fuel pump in the event of an accident or similar situation where you don't want the fuel to run. Some use the oil pressure safety and others use an inertia switch. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. Do a search on this site and you will get tons of great info. To find the switch just follow your cables from the fuel pump. One leads to the ignition and the other leads to the safety shutoff device.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Keep us informed on the Miami trip, Might be able to talk Bax into a Meatasaurus meal. He is just a few minutes off I-95, and alot of the Florida boys would show up.
But I am still a little bummed that you were not able to go across the Smokies. Save that for another time.

OP
OP
NY-Bronco

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
That's too funny Herman! I wonder if that was your off-road cutting out problem the other day???

I also know Edelbrock says to have no more than 6 PSI at your carb during idle and to set a pressure regulator to 5.5 psi. You mention an electric pump, are you running a regulator too?

Roger

That may be. Ill test that out this weekend. I am not running a regulator. Ill look into that also. Thanks!!

msweb

Bronco Guru
Hey Herman, that reminds me - I used custom ordered titanium enriched steel for that coil bracket and the bill was $750 but we'll call it square since you left some other steel in east TN for me ;)

Glad you figured out that it was the oil pressure switch, that one would have had me stumped! Rock on brother!

OP
OP
NY-Bronco

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
Hey Herman, that reminds me - I used custom ordered titanium enriched steel for that coil bracket and the bill was $750 but we'll call it square since you left some other steel in east TN for me ;)

Glad you figured out that it was the oil pressure switch, that one would have had me stumped! Rock on brother!

180lb of steel to be exact ;D

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
cool stuff, you should be elevated to Guru already ;D

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Herman , you rock , great story , good catch on the pressure switch.

Industrial 24 volt ... hmm , what a dirt bag.

The 4070 doesn't generate much pressure , not sure if a regulator is needed or not. I'm gonna look into that.

Edit : Here ya are :http://www.summitracing.com/search/...Rotary-Vane-Electric-Fuel-Pumps/?autoview=SKU

self regulated with a max. pressure of 6 psi.

Oh , also , the reputation of the Carter 4070 for the most part on this board , is outstanding. They just don't quit unless they are not getting power , which obviously isn't the pumps fault.

Ratch

Contributor
OMG, scammers like that make me sick. They give us honest mechanics a bad name. I'm glad you got him straightened out with your friends.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
It's a shame you can't file charge on him and get his name in te local new paper So some more folks won't get ripped. I think this happens more than most of us know .. We just don't catch it all.
...I'm glad you got your Bronco out before they could mess with it.

abe_froman

Loc.
Knoxville, TN
good story indeed!

This thread is pretty on-time for me as well since I just put in the Carter pump, finished it up this morning and drove it today with no problems. Then tonight I took it for one of those "just-because drives" that Herman talks about aaaaaaaand it died on me. Luckily I was about 1/2 mile away from home and my neighbor came by and pulled me home.

So, here I go to start another tech thread and let the pros teach this newb wtf is going on.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Ha ha, way to catch the damn scammer, Glad you worked it out w/out getting screwed