• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Aftermarket EFI

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm in the process of choosing an aftermarket EFI system. 408 W, World iron heads, mild cam, presently Art Carr reverse pattern C4, maybe NV3350, 3:73 gears, 33" tires, family cage, steel hood and top. Mostly street, no rock crawling. F.A.S.T. , Howell or any other system you may have expereince with, Pro or Con. Thank you all in advance.
Mark

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I know Nick @ Nicks Trix has been using the Projection III systems. I have seen them up close and heard one of them run. They are not without need of tweaking but in all a resonable price for what you get and it keeps the look of a carb vs. Ford MPI. But for reliability, they have not been out long and I think others will testify, Fords MPI is tough to beat. (Just not as pretty)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I had a old Holley EFI that is now many generations old. It was top of the line laptop interface back in the day. But that has been eclipsed so many times now it isn't even that relivent.

But the last project I did I used a mustang EEC-IV based system and had a custom tune made for it. That was on a cammed, stroked, big head small block. It did run good, better then my personal tuning did. Nice part is that if I ever need service parts, they are all over the counter stuff.

Who will be doing the tuning? if it is a shop, see what they work with. It is best if the learning urve is strictly on the engine, not on both the engine and the programming.

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
x2 on EEC-IV and custom tune. in theory all you will need beyond that will be larger injectors and matching MAF. I see it done in Mustangs.

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ok, good info, I'll look up the EEC-IV. Good sources?

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Does anyone have experience withthe Howell TBI?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Does anyone have experience withthe Howell TBI?

Seen many of them used. Also seen a couple roll across the dyno with a wide band A/F stuck in it. The owners had been driving them and were happy, they drove good. But on the dyno to fuel tables were terribly off. One so rich it pegged the gauge and the other was lean. Tuning is done by trial and error mail order. The off the shelf untuned carbs were better tuned then these were.

Nice thing is it is all stock GM parts. Future repairs are simple. If you don't mind going to the dyno, get a run with a fuel curve, send that to Howell, then they will try to tune off that. Send you another chip, you get to pay for another dyno session and see if they got it right.

People are happy with them. But I don't know if they realize how much potential they may be missing.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
X2 on what Broncobowsher said on the Howell units. For what you want on the Howell it'll cost you 2 grand! That and trial and error tuning...and they always seem to error on the rich side... wise, since overheating engines or burnt pistons aren't great for sales... The Howell units need 14hg of vacuum which is why we couldn't use it on a 454SBF stroker built last year, plus it wouldn't flow enough cfm for the 454 build. Now they have dual quad setups but dual quads don't promote low rpm flow.

Check out a very similar thread for various options to support your 408 build. http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184780

I done some serious looking into what seems to be working best for a build very similar to yours (I'm assuming you aren't going with a hgih rpm build 408).

Good luck

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Should have answered this in the last post...

Edelbrock ProFlo2 works great- cost? slightly over $3,000 bucks-spendy compared to stock stuff-- although I like the look a lot more than stock stuff.

I also ran the Holley Projection back when they first came out. After 4 yrs or so Holley admitted to me that they weren't going to support them much longer, so I sold it. Who wants a "one-off" that you spend big bucks for and can't fix in a few years? I can't afford that. I've had my rig for 35 years this July so I want stuff done right and last till I tire of it, not 'cause I can't find parts anymore... : )

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey, thanks everyone for your answers, I'll go to that thread. This won't be a high RPM motor, just looking for good torque and reliability. Sounds like Howell isn't the way to go, I'd have to travel a long way for a dyno run and don't like to do things by trial n error cause I seem to get more error....

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
nvrstuck, I'll follow your thread, missed it somehow. Seems to be answering a lot of the same questions though I'm not looking for that kind of hp/tq. I won't be buying parts til July so I'm really interested in how your project turns out. Thanks for sharing. Mark

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Two more systems that are interesting to me. Accel's DFI setup can be built in stages if desired, or all at once to a full-tilt ultra-tunable system. Their "Thruster" lineup is slightly more budget oriented than the Gen 7 or Gen 8 stuff. Same hardware, but a little less sophisticated software. Can be updated to full Gen 8 later though. Just write a check.
Seen a lot of them run on older vehicles and they're pretty wicked.

The other one is the Painless Perfect system. Pretty slick. Never used one, but thinking about going that direction on my own rig.

Paul

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nothing but Holley Commander 950 systems used here for the last 6 or 7 years and very satisifed with them. Might try their newest system (that just came out) on next build though...

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thank you everyone, I have a lot of homework to do.
Mark

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've searched some other forums and it seems the Holley system is easier to tune than the Accel.