• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Adding MEK to Berrymans carb cleaner?

bosshoff

Contributor
I have a gallon dunk bucket of Berrymans carb/parts cleaner. It is the new California "safe" mixture. It does not work very well. Apparently, the company stopped using MEK as an ingrediant a few years ago. MEK is a common solvent sold at West Marine and other places. I was thinking of adding some to my carb dunking solution. What do you guys think? Totally bad idea?
I used Berrymans to clean my Holley Truck Avenger, and it did not take off the dried stained varnish depositis in the bowls. I scraped these away, but i am concerned with the crap I cannot see.
Thansk.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Get an old M.S.D.S. for the carb cleaner and a M.S.D.S. for the new stuff and compair the ingrediants that should give you a better direction. You may also take your pot of carb cleaner and let it get good and hot in the sun and then put you parts in and see what happens. Most non volital cleaners work extremely well when used hot. I cant advise you to use other forms of heat to anything like that but just beaware of this phenomon. make sure you read the flash point on the container and protect yourself.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Probably not a good idea to mix the stuff. I'd just use them seperately. What I've found with the berrymans you usually have to wipe everything down and still hose it down with something else. But it usually cleans everything off irreguardless. might just need a longer soaking

Ranchtruck

MEK is similar to lead & mercury in that, once it gets into your brain, it NEVER comes out.
Occupational Health and Safety said:
Is there potential for methyl ethyl ketone to build-up or accumulate in my body?

MEK does not accumulate in the body. It is rapidly absorbed by inhalation, skin contact and ingestion and transferred into the blood and other tissues. MEK is metabolized in the liver, mainly to 3-hydroxy-2-butanone and 2,3-butanediol which are eliminated in urine. Most MEK probably enters the general metabolism in the body and is converted to acetate which is eventually broken down to carbon dioxide and water which are then eliminated in exhaled air and urine. Small amounts of MEK itself are also eliminated in exhaled air and urine. MEK and its metabolites are mostly cleared from the body within 24 hours.
From http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemicals/chem_profiles/mek/health_mek.html

MEK really doesn't sound that bad. Don't drink it, and don't huff it, but it doesn't seem like a dangerous chemical. I'd check to see what happens when you mix it in with the chemical soup already in carb dip though. It may combine with something else and become nasty.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Mek is a solvent and is readily absorbed through the skin. It is very irritating. I have used it for over 30 years. The paint stripping industry is an extremely large user of this chemical well up until California got all high and mighty. It is common around the fiberglass laminating community. It has its purpose and it does it well and not much out there to replace it. It stinks to high heaven and most people dont like it so over exposure is tough unless you like punishment.

dbevans2249

Loc.
Buena Park, Ca.
You may want to try it in a well ventilated area or outside, away from pets and small children.
If it screws up the carb cleaner just turn it in at your local Household Hazardous Waste Disposal Center. All you are realy risking is one can of cleaner.
Safely give it a try and report the results. JMO

OP
OP
bosshoff

bosshoff

Contributor
Yeah, I don't plan on drinking any of it, or getting it on my skin. I just was so suprised the standard Berryman's concoction sucked. If I do it, I will report back.

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
Like said, I would compare the old MSDS sheets and see what it says. I know I just use straight MEK when I need to "de"-anything my parts. If MEK is the missing component then I would procede very carefully when doing your chemistry.