• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

radius arm, still trying to get them even PROBLEM SOLVED

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i have read alot of the threads. after several attempts one is about an inch higher. i think i will turn the bushings over first, should i swap both front and back or just one at at time. i have poly bushings and my choices are front bottom and rear bottom, assuming that means what is says, front is on the cap and rear is on the radius arm. any comments or suggestions welcome.

Last edited:

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Try soaking them with dish washing liquid, makes them slick and worked for me trying to get them even. The dish liquid will wash off easily when you are done. Rear bottom & front bottom does mean what it says. It's a pain but keep trying and eventually you should be able to get it within a 1/4 inch.

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
yeah alot of guys use the dish soap and i have saw it work my self...ill prolly hear groans but i used moly grease...just for fun...flip the set of bushings that are low and tighten the cap back on and see what happens....IDK this is but i have done alot of them and for some reason that was the culprit on the last one....i dont think any of the wedges are the same from the factory....from the 3rd grade weld that came from the factory i have never done two broncos that are the same

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
they are new poly, will flip the low side tonight and see what happens. they have liberal amounts of d/w detergent on them

chriswitt

I spent probably ten hours.... (no joke) trying to get mine right. Got them very close 1/8" higher on passenger side. I figured this would damn near eliminate my lean..... nope. Still leans. :-[ Steel shim under coil cup helped out with most of the lean.

Dbarnes72

Loc.
Eastern Wa.
It's voodoo. I swapped the caps and they came right in about an eigth inch difference.
Not saying it'll work but it's worth a go.....

GloNDark

Mine was voodoo as well. Probably atleast 10 hours into mine. Got pissed on a saturday night, left it all disassembled on the floor over night. Then came out in the morning and said screw it, if it leans it leans......slapped it all together and no lean. %) Go figure.

Zillacon

Loc.
Hackin Away!
Spray the hell out of them with foamy glass cleaner before you go at them. It also helps to have a buddy with and put a long pipe on the higher arm and put a block under the lower arm to allow for pipe flex then have your buddy stand ion the pipe and tighten them down. Saves a crapload of time and frustration.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
flipped bushings over on both sides and 1/8 inch difference. swapped the low side first and it was about 4 inches different. thanks everyone.

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
good deal glad it worked....like i said i have never done one that was the same as the last one...lol

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
flipped bushings over on both sides and 1/8 inch difference. swapped the low side first and it was about 4 inches different. thanks everyone.

explain flipped over? does that mean where it says bottom you have that on top?

latrucker

Contributor

Been fighting this myself. Sounds like a good solution, but won't flipping degreed c bushings give you negative caster. Negative caster....not good. I wonder if going with two different degree bushings would be a good alternative. Just my 2cents

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Is your lean in the front or rear?
I fought a rear lean for years. I tried the WH radius arm hocus pocus even though WH states it is only for a front lean. The fix was a new set of body bushings and a 3/4" spring spacer on the driver's side. Most of the leans I've seen is from crushed body mounts and uneven weight distribution.
I wouldn't compromise the steering geometry by flipping the "C" bushings to try to correct a cosmetic problem like a lean. I think you have something else going on.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
did not have a lean, just trying to install bushings per instructions. will see how it sets when i put it under the frame. i dont know enought to speak on the negative caster, others will speak on it that know more.

latrucker

Contributor
did not have a lean, just trying to install bushings per instructions. will see how it sets when i put it under the frame. i dont know enought to speak on the negative caster, others will speak on it that know more.
Negative caster is when the top steering knuckle is in a more forward position than the bottom. By flipping the bushings you are rotating the top of the front end housing forward and the bottom toward the rear of the vehicle. This will tend to make it steer like a bicycle with the handle bars spun around 180•. Very squirmy feeling. When i first bought my EB it had negative caster. After one hour of driving you were worn out from trying to keep it on the road. This should only pertain to degreed c bushing. Not sure which you ones you have. Hope that helps.