• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Auxiliary tank filler vent hose

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
HAving trouble finding a 90 degree auxiliary tank filler vent hose. Turns out the PO installed what appears to be 5/8" straight fuel line, and this cannot make the 90 degree turnout necessary without kinking. Result is the inability to fill the auxiliary tank on my '76.

Any ideas on where to find one of these? Looked at JBG and Tom's to no luck. NAPA only has straight hose, and the parts guy could not think of an alternative. Picture is the one I pulled off.

Attachments

• DSC_1021 (2).jpg
    DSC_1021 (2).jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 49

broncomatt

My suggestion is to get a copper 90 and use a short piece of fuel hose to the 90. Should fit.

OP
OP
Jeff76

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
This is what I used on my '76 when I had it. I didn't recall it being a 90 though?

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-10255-vent-hose-auxillary.html

Not sure what that is, really. If its 3/8" or smaller, it could be the emissions breather hose that runs to the charcoal bottle. What I am looking is 5/8" and goes from the tank to a hole in the filler tube to allow air out while you pump gas in. The way mine was kinked, it was almost impossible to fill the tank.

OP
OP
Jeff76

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
My suggestion is to get a copper 90 and use a short piece of fuel hose to the 90. Should fit.

Yes, that is a good idea, and it should work. Was trying to keep it simple, though. I was actually surprised when the guy at Napa said he did not have a 5/8" fuel hose with a 90 degree bend in it.

g8rb8t

Bronco Guru
Not sure what that is, really. If its 3/8" or smaller, it could be the emissions breather hose that runs to the charcoal bottle. What I am looking is 5/8" and goes from the tank to a hole in the filler tube to allow air out while you pump gas in. The way mine was kinked, it was almost impossible to fill the tank.

Yeah, that's the vent hose pictured that I used from tank to filler neck vent. That's not the charcoal bottle one. If I recall correctly it's 5/8" (almost positive).

OP
OP
Jeff76

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
Knew I'd remember it...here's where I asked the same thing, looks like I used 5/8" from Napa not the Graveyard one:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147906

OK, Thanks. I found a picture of another install somewhere, and it looks like they used a straight line as well. I'll try to get a slightly longer hose length, and see if I can make the turn without putting a kink in it. Thanks again.

Attachments

• SAM_2082.jpg
    SAM_2082.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 109

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Just finished my aux tank install and I have the same exact problem. It kinked but not too bad. Thought it would work but cant give the pump more than a 1/4 pressure without gas trying to come back up the neck.

A braided/pressure rated fuel line would work as it will not kink but the problem is cutting it to length and getting it on the line and tank nipple. If you can easily collapse the line with your fingers dont waste your time. No matter what length you cut it to it will kink

I like broncomatts idea and may try that. Ill put a 90 on the filler neck and run a straight hose off the tank. and of course paint it black...

Attachments

• 2012-02-05 14.00.42.jpg
    2012-02-05 14.00.42.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 109
OP
OP
Jeff76

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
Just finished my aux tank install and I have the same exact problem. It kinked but not too bad. Thought it would work but cant give the pump more than a 1/4 pressure without gas trying to come back up the neck.

A braided/pressure rated fuel line would work as it will not kink but the problem is cutting it to length and getting it on the line and tank nipple. If you can easily collapse the line with your fingers dont waste your time. No matter what length you cut it to it will kink

I like broncomatts idea and may try that. Ill put a 90 on the filler neck and run a straight hose off the tank. and of course paint it black...

Just went through the same process. While the picture I posted makes it look easy, the way my tank / vent hose works out it will not run the angle with out kinking. I bought a copper 90, but can't make myself install it. Just seems like a problem waiting to happen.

Found this at Autozone. PVC hose exact size and shape I need. Anybody have an opinion it this would hold up the the demands of the aux tank vent hose requirements? Would it deteriorate with the gasoline exposure?

Attachments

• IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 43

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
silicone heater bypass hose or a pice of wire reinforced fuel transfer hose.

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Found this at Autozone. PVC hose exact size and shape I need. Anybody have an opinion it this would hold up the the demands of the aux tank vent hose requirements? Would it deteriorate with the gasoline exposure?
That piece might work. Put it on the filler neck side as high as it will go and connect it with another 5/8" straight piece. Whatever you connect them with cannot severely reduce the inner diameter of the line though. If it works, only the air that is being displaced in the tank will come into that line

Dorman makes these as well(Part # 800-038):

800-038-007.JPG

Should be able to get an 11/16" line on there...More flow the better not sure if anyone sells that though. 3/4" would be too big

Woops I read that as PCV thinking it was rubber. Should be fine according to these guys:

http://www.jenseninert.com/chemical-resistance.htm

How are you going to connect it to the metal vent line though?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeff76

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
That piece might work. Put it on the filler neck side as high as it will go and connect it with another 5/8" straight piece. Whatever you connect them with cannot severely reduce the inner diameter of the line though. If it works, only the air that is being displaced in the tank will come into that line

Dorman makes these as well(Part # 800-038):

800-038-007.JPG

Should be able to get an 11/16" line on there...More flow the better not sure if anyone sells that though. 3/4" would be too big

Woops I read that as PCV thinking it was rubber. Should be fine according to these guys:

http://www.jenseninert.com/chemical-resistance.htm

How are you going to connect it to the metal vent line though?

It is Rubber. I put it on today, and it fit perfectly. Tight fit on both sides, as if it were made for the application. Still not sure if it will handle the gasoline over time, but it looks slick. I'm going to run it, but I've got some work to do before I'm ready to put any gasoline in that tank though.

OP
OP
Jeff76

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
That is a PCV piece. Looks like your box was printed wrong lol

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-32423-46025.aspx

That piece was long enough to reach the tank? How much was it?

$12 here, free shipping: http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-46025-PCV-Valve-Grommet/dp/B0065V2YPM

You are correct, its a PCV replacement. I found it on the shelf at Autozone, and it was $12. It fit exactly the angle i needed between the tank and the filler vent. No kinking because it was the perfect shape. One side seemed to be slightly smaller diameter than the other and I used that side on the tank. Slight touch of petroleum jelly, and it slipped right on both sides without removing the tank (again). Standard hose clamps both sides. I should have taken some pictures before I left the shop. I'll post some tomorrow.

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
I just used fuel line from Napa. It's pretty stiff compared to what I've got from other places. My problem is actually on the other end where it goes up to the top of the filler neck. I can't get the stupid thing on without it either kinking at the top or sticking out in the wheel well. I think I'm just going to use a filter up at the top and zip tie it to the filler up near the top.

OP
OP
Jeff76

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
You are correct, its a PCV replacement. I found it on the shelf at Autozone, and it was $12. It fit exactly the angle i needed between the tank and the filler vent. No kinking because it was the perfect shape. One side seemed to be slightly smaller diameter than the other and I used that side on the tank. Slight touch of petroleum jelly, and it slipped right on both sides without removing the tank (again). Standard hose clamps both sides. I should have taken some pictures before I left the shop. I'll post some tomorrow.

Here's a pic of the PCV hose installed as the aux vent hose. That loose vent hose in the way of the clear shot is from the rear tank. Should have moved it before I took the pic. Sorry.

Attachments

• DSC_1029.jpg
    DSC_1029.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 59
OP
OP
Jeff76

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
I just used fuel line from Napa. It's pretty stiff compared to what I've got from other places. My problem is actually on the other end where it goes up to the top of the filler neck. I can't get the stupid thing on without it either kinking at the top or sticking out in the wheel well. I think I'm just going to use a filter up at the top and zip tie it to the filler up near the top.

That's the problem I was having with standard fuel line. It would kink trying to get it to be malleable enough to make the 90 degree turn necessary to connect to the filler vent. That's why I was looking for alternatives.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Just installed a new aux tank and filler tube. The vent tube is kicked out a bit so the hose bend is only ~30* so no kinking issues here.

Attachments

• Fuel Tank Hose Connections 30.JPG
    Fuel Tank Hose Connections 30.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 49