• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My Family Cage build thread (FINAL PICS PAGE-4)

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Hey all, I wanted to start a single thread sharing my experiences along the way in building a family cage for my EB. I'll continue to update this thread with progress as I have it. Hopefully some find this thread useful as they plan their own cage build or are on the fence about doing it themselves. I'm no expert or professional fabricator; just your average enthusiast with a mechanical inclination and enjoy working on projects...

I started off with the need for roll-over protection. That then expanded into the need for secure 3pt seatbelt mounting (front & rear seats), which then expanded into the need for seat bracket and mounting support. The answer was a complete cage design that could accommodate a floor structure needed to integrate the seat mounts and to serve as the seatbelt anchoring points.

The challenge with these requirements is that none of the pre-fabricated or even weld-together cage kits currently available through the vendors were complete enough to meet my needs. When you take into account the floor structure, every seat and mount are different, therefore if I were to select a weld-in kit it would only get me about 60% of the way and I would still need to modify it accordingly. This drove me down the custom path...

I shopped around a few fabricators and settled on 2 potential local shops to build my cage. One high-end (aka race-car builders) and the 2nd more of an offroad shop who builds an occasional cage. I drew up some designs, assembled my requirements, and worked with each shop for estimates. In short, both shops came in about the same. They estimated roughly 30-40hrs of labor at approximately $100 bucks per hour. That's excluding materials. :eek:

While cost alone is not the driver behind my cage design; for that amount of money I could:
  • Invest in all the tools needed to do it myself, and expand my tool arsenal in the process.
  • Buy all the materials myself from local steel suppliers
  • Build the entire cage myself, have a great learning experience, and still come in cheaper then having a pro do it.
So this is the course I set off on....

Attachments

• WEB4.jpg
    WEB4.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
I bought some cage design tube bending assembly software and began putting together several concept designs. I started with 4 basic designs and eventually narrowed it down based on lots of input from various sourcing including this forum, Pirate 4x4, and some local open-track racers I know. This is the final design I selected, your basic "halo" approach.

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
I bought a nice welder and began learning how to lay proper welds. Practice.. practice... practice... It's not my first welder but did replace a very entry level POS gasless unit. I also bought a plasma cutter. Not mandatory to build the cage but certainly a SWEET addition to my expanding tool set. I literally found myself practicing with the welder and plasma by welding scrap together, then cutting it apart with the plasma, then welding back together, etc...etc... The Millermatic welder is so nice and easy to use that I find myself looking for any excuse to burn metal with it. Here's the first beads from the box, on dirty scrap:

welder.jpg

weld-scrap2.jpg

weld-scrap1.jpg

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Then I bought a tube bender, tube notcher, and some misc supporting tools.

Calibrating the bender and tubing die was a challenge. You have to identify within the die, where exactly the first part of the bend radius begins. Most think this is at the face of the die when in reality the tube doesn't start to bend for a few 10ths of an inch into the die bending channel. If you don't identify this bend location all your bends will be off. The second challenge was then to calibrate the bender and die to the bending software. Once this was all said and done, I could start bending tube!

bender-1.jpg

And finally, the tubing arrives. 120 linear feet of 1.75" x .120 walled DOM.

IMG_0523.jpg

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
First up was the B-pillar. I bent, fitted, and fully mounted the B-pillar hoop of my design with the hard-top on. I then trued it up and snapped all my forward and aft measurements off that B-pillar. This should ensure the hard-top will fit when the full cage is complete. As long as I stay within my forward, aft, and height measurements with the rest of the cage, the top should fit.

IMG_0528.jpg

The cage will be tied into the frame at all 6 mounting points. That said, I used 4x4 .25" plate footers for each leg. These will be mounted top and bottom with a piece of .25" high density rubber in-between. Additionally the frame tie-in kit I'm using utilizes rubber bushings at the bottom base plate as well. All of this is in an attempt to reduce vibration that will transfer through the frame tie-in's into the cage.

IMG_0529.jpg

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
After the B-pillar was set, the top came off (for summer), and I began focusing on the front & rear ceiling hoops (halo's).

IMG_0566.jpg

All notched up:

IMG_0567.jpg

Here's the front with fitment mock-up. I want the front legs to extend through the dash as seen with other recent cage designs. I really like this concept and it moves the bottom of the legs up out of the way where they are less intrusive stuffed up behind the dash. The downside is you have to pull the entire dash (several times) to get this right....

IMG_0561.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

Given that challenge with the front legs, I decided to start on the rear hoop first :)
All tacked together, trued up, and free standing...

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Here's the rear family cage nearly complete. Added ceiling cross bars and lower C-pillar crossmember for floor structure (not pictured). The rear still needs triangulation bars for the C-pillar legs that will tie into the halo. Also I need B-pillar to C-pillar tie in support. Still undecided if I'll tie the two pillars together or run a 8th point mount to the rear wheel-wells.

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0571.jpg

Hank_

Bronco Guru
Wow that looks great. Quite a bit of work for one person. Looking forward to seeing it done.

Henry

TTTGOWYO

Tyler T. - EB Obsessed
Loc.
Louisville
Subscribing.. You now have some awesome tools, skills and a sweet cage in the works. Only wish I lived next door. :)

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
Everybody is going to be jealous. You have all of the tools that the rest of us dream about! The cage looks good!

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
If you don't mind me asking where did you get the tubing (price)?

Who's notcher did you end up going with?

Thanks
I got the tubing from a local steel retailer. Came out to about $4.58 per foot with free delivery.

As for notching, I tried to not break down and buy a notcher and instead tried angle grinder notching and plasma cutter notching first. Neither of those methods produces clean enough notches that should be used for structural support. There's always a gap in the cuts somewhere which you'd have to fill with welding wire.

So I broke down and bought the cheapest decent notcher I could find, the TN-100 from JD2. It was right at $200 bucks and I am sooooo happy I did as it has become the single most important tool in building this cage. This little unit is awesome! Mounts anywhere (bench vice, floor, etc.), uses common bimetal bits ($7 at Home Depot), and is powered by your run of the mill 1/2" drill. When the bits are new, I can chew through .120" walled DOM in maybe 5 seconds per notch! The TN-100 is almost the cheapest notcher out there (china mart crap aside) and works so well. Makes me wonder how a real pro notcher like the ones from Baileigh perform.

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
The cage is looking sweet!
I love my Miller 211. That bender looks great as well.

Hummmmmm its nice having a local Bronco Brother with a tube bender.... :)

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
A little more progress. Got the dash pulled and started working on the "behind the dash" legs. These legs are a major PITA. There are several supports to clear which requires strategically positioned bends and accurate measurements. Also I needed the floor plate to mate up right at the angle in the floor pan in order to clear the undercarriage body bracing for the frame tie-in.

This is what I came up with in the tube bending software:
front-legs.jpg

Here's the completed front ceiling hoop and p-side support leg:
IMG_0587.jpg

Angled floor plate:
IMG_0581.jpg

Leg & plate, final welding.
IMG_0584.jpg

Not the prettiest beads but good penetration:
IMG_0586.jpg

Support leg, floor plate, and rubber suppression.
IMG_0590.jpg

Top support leg, angle matched with windshield frame:
IMG_0591.jpg

Wing window clears:
IMG_0594.jpg

With door shut - barely see the leg!
IMG_0595.jpg

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
A little more progress. Have nearly the whole cage tacked together, just working on the floor and seat mounts then I'll be ready to hoist it out for final welding.

I'm really digging the bending software. You snap quick and dirty measurements such as this:

IMG_0613.jpg

Plug these values into the software and it produces cut sheets such as this:

IMG_0612.jpg

Got the front of the cage done including ceiling and triangulation supports.

IMG_0622.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

Also got my dash all notched to accommodate the legs:

IMG_0621.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg