• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My Family Cage build thread (FINAL PICS PAGE-4)

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
It turned out awesome! Nice work.
Let me know if you need a hand putting it in.

Thanks JohnJohn... The cage is in and nearly all buttoned up, but I still can't drive my EB.

I'm so frustrated, my POS carb keeps flooding out the secondary bowl. I've adjusted the float level once and only 3 drives later it's flooding the bowl again. Something is wrong and adjusting isn't cutting it. I'm going to have to pull the carb and inspect the needle, bowl, float, tang, etc... I think I've since jammed the needle or bent the tang as the secondary bowl isn't filling at all. I can actually drive it but as soon as you engage the secondaries it hits fuel-starvation and gets hot quick (likely from being too lean). Didn't hear any knocking so that's good. Anyway, now I need to rebuild my carb before I can get out and show off my cage!

Hoochdog

I really like the cage, good job! What tubing bender did you use for the cage?

Thanks,

Brent

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Ya what bender did you use? Also what radius die was used?

Lets see some pics on the truck please!!

That thing is ausome!

Last edited:
OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
It's a Pro3 hydraulic tube bender and dies from Pro-Bender. They have a number of various discounts and promotions on Pirate 4x4. The material is all 1.75x.120 DOM. The die I used is a 240 degree with 6" CLR.

The cage is finished, installed, and my EB is up and running. I've been waiting to give it a bath before taking a bunch of final cage pics. I'll post back once I have them...

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Thanks for the info. Any reason you would need a 240 deg for a cage? I rarely see a cage or bumper with anything over a 90 in it. I guess the front hoop on some bumpers it would be nice to get closer to 180. Does a 90 or 180 bend the same as a 240 on lesser bends? JD2 only offers 90 and 180.

And lets see them pics!! I saw a sneek peek on the "DO I STILL LOOK BACK" thread!

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Yeah none of the cage bends are over 90. But I figured if I'm going to buy a bender, might as well use it for a bunch of other stuff (bumpers, sliders, etc.). In those other situations you could see bends over 90. Think a push or stinger bar.

I think the 240 die from Protools is just a marketing thing, it's equivalent to a 180 with JD2.

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Heck yeah, that notcher is awesome, and it's such an entry level unit too, I would suspect all the JD2 products are top notch. I like that reach around adapter, would have come in handy as I had 6 notches that were over 50 degrees and I had to notch by hand with a grinder. Just be sure you use lots of cutting oil with your notcher as it will make your bi-metal bits last longer.

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Final pics

Finished the cage up a while back and finally got around to snapping some final pics. This ended up being a larger effort than I originally intended. Glad it's finally finished and I can move on to other more interesting upgrades!

IMG_6590.jpg

IMG_6592.jpg

IMG_6601.jpg

IMG_6599.jpg

IMG_6600.jpg

IMG_6598.jpg

IMG_6603.jpg

IMG_6606.jpg

IMG_6605.jpg

IMG_6608.jpg

IMG_6607.jpg

IMG_6619.jpg

IMG_6610.jpg

IMG_6617.jpg

IMG_6611.jpg

IMG_6616.jpg

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
I also made these side units which are used for rocker panel skis, frame tie-ins, side steps, and rear shock mounts:

IMG_6621.jpg

IMG_6614.jpg

IMG_6612.jpg

IMG_6622.jpg

IMG_6629.jpg

IMG_6637.jpg

IMG_6626.jpg

IMG_6640.jpg

IMG_6638.jpg

IMG_6630.jpg

Entourage

Loc.
Phoenix, Arizona
Wow! It turned out amazing. Love the side steps, frame tie-ins, and seat mounts. I had to do the dual wiper motors due to cage clearance too - good thing there is a solution for the problem.

pipermike

Nice job! Going through the dash is a huge commitment and must be a total PITA but in the long run is the right way to do it! Your photos make me a believer. My family cage project just got more complicated...

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
I also went thru the dash. It makes it look alot cleaner looking. Nice job! I gotta ask.... Why does it look like your roll bar padding is hanging off the tube?

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Why does it look like your roll bar padding is hanging off the tube?

Yeah I'm not sure that padding will be on there for good. It's designed with an offset to put more padding on the passenger side. It's a good idea but I agree looks a little odd. Plus the whole zip-tie vs tape thing. Zip ties stand out like a sore thumb while tape looks like crap once it gets dirty. Maybe I'll have some custom vinyl pad covers made or something. Any input is appreciated.

Here's the padding I used:

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
The padding I have is similar but it fits all the way around the tube and the ends touch. Did they sell you the correct padding for the size tube you have? I got my padding from Autofab here in Elkridge Md. for around $4.00 for a 3' piece. If you call them and pay for it I can pick it up for you so you can get it on a Saturday.

gmc

Loc.
Smoky Mountains
Prior to installing the cage, how were your seats mounted? Were they custom brackets or does someone make brackets to install the Bestop seats in an EB? Thanks.

BowHunter148

Amazing craftsmanship and attention to detail!
You are handy with the steel!!
Your Bronco is perfect too!!

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Thanks for the comments!

The cage has been finished for over a year now and this thread took a recent bump. Overall the cage has been awesome. Fits real well under both hard and soft tops. In the Winter/cooler months I use the factory hard-top and in the summer I use a full soft top and keep the windows out for the most part. Here's a few more recent pics:

IMG_0537web_zpse3f59c63.jpg

DB7938B5-0955-4747-88E7-740B0B3E95AB-6031-000003E8DD2BA59C_zps5ad4853e.jpg

IMG_0279_zps106716cf.jpg