• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trac lok rebuild instructions and tips

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I came across a used trac lok unit yesterday however it will need a rebuild of the clutches. I’ve done some searching and can’t seem to find a detailed tech article or instruction guide on how to rebuild one.

I’ve never been inside of one before so I’m reaching out for some help. Are there any special tools methods I need to know about? I read some place to “soak” the clutches before install?

Are the spider gears the same in an open diff vs. a trac lok unit? If you had an open with good spider gears could you swap them out into a trac lok unit if the ones in the TL were bad? Just asking...........

Tim

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Im not 100% sure but I think the spider gears will swap over. Side gears will not well pass side might.. Other than Ford sevice manuals I dont know of any other instructions out there but its really not that hard just reinstall any shims that were in the unit before.
Ford did have specail tools to check the clutch pack thickness but I've never been able to find one.
All I can suggest is replace all the discs and steels replace the preload springs and thrusht washers for the side and spider gears and you'll have a unit thats as good as new. Only other tip would be that before your tighten all the ring gear bolts down install the axle shaft in the clutch hub side to make sure that the clutch hub and side gear splines match up then you wont have any issues reinstalling that axleshaft after its all built.

OX1

Bronco Guru
If your just doing cleanup and clutches/springs, here are some pics, this is a 31 spline unit.

Attachments

• DCP02599.jpg
    DCP02599.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 87
  • DCP02600.jpg
    DCP02600.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 86
  • DCP02601.jpg
    DCP02601.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 80
  • DCP02602.jpg
    DCP02602.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 81
  • DCP02603.jpg
    DCP02603.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 78
  • DCP02604.jpg
    DCP02604.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 77
  • DCP02605.jpg
    DCP02605.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 74
  • DCP02606.jpg
    DCP02606.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 73
  • DCP02607.jpg
    DCP02607.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 77
  • DCP02608.jpg
    DCP02608.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 77
  • DCP02609.jpg
    DCP02609.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 76
  • DCP02610.jpg
    DCP02610.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 80

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
as said, they are easy to work on. spring pressure holds the 2 case halves together. i used two 7/16 bolts and nuts to keep the halves pressed together (through the ring gear mounting flange) while removing and installing the 2 phillips head case screws. this relieved the pressure on them, making them a lot easier to get in/out.

in the pics above, OX1 is using vice grips to do the same thing. you do have to soak the fiber clutch discs in gear oil before installing them. they would be way to grippy if installed dry.

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Thanks everyone for the advice tips and the great pic's. I'll update when I get the job done.

Tim

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
The used "trac lok" tuend out to be a used "equal lok" unit that's seen better days. Case has been busted and welded back together and the gears were eathen up too. Not to mention the clutches were junk.

Passed on the unit so guess I'll buy a new one unless I find a used one soon.

Tim

Oatmeal

FYI, Trac Lok is a Dana/Spicer name, Ford 9" LSDs were called Traction Loc

Hans

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Well I feel like I hit the lotto but an idiot at the same time.

I disassembled my third member completely yesterday and put all the parts in the parts washer to let them soak. Once I removed the ring gear I could tell the “open” diff was really a 4 pin trac lok. I was very confused because this diff has never locked up in the 17 years I’ve owned the Bronco. When I took the unit apart, there was no clutch material left. It was all gone but for just a small strip on the first clutch. What was left was hard and brittle.

So looks like I have now educated myself on open and posi diffs. I’ll be ordering a clutch kit today.

Any idea what would cause this kind of ware? This rig sees less than 1K miles a year. My guess is no friction modifier in the gear oil?

Tim

Last edited:

turbotim2

I did the same thing, drove my Bronco for years without noticing any lock up. The clutches just don't stand up to years in service even if you don't drive it a lot. I rebuilt mine and it locks up now, even just pushing the rolling chassis around (havn't finished the build yet).

OX1

Bronco Guru
Well I feel like I hit the lotto but an idiot at the same time.

I disassembled my third member completely yesterday and put all the parts in the parts washer to let them soak. Once I removed the ring gear I could tell the “open” diff was really a 4 pin trac lok. I was very confused because this diff has never locked up in the 17 years I’ve owned the Bronco. When I took the unit apart, there was no clutch material left. It was all gone but for just a small strip on the first clutch. What was left was hard and brittle.

So looks like I have now educated myself on open and posi diffs. I’ll be ordering a clutch kit today.

Any idea what would cause this kind of ware? This rig sees less than 1K miles a year. My guess is no friction modifier in the gear oil?

Tim

Driving long distance with one tire severly underinflated (before you owned it).

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
where do you get the rebuild kit for the trac-lock? new clutch packs?

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Getting mine off ebay. Dude has clutch kit, friction mod, ring gear bolts and housing seal for $75 with free shipping. You can also get them from JBG and I expect all teh other parts houses has them too.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
ebay seller's name or link to ad?
JBG shipping costs to me will be 1 to 1 of the price of anything I try to purchase from them.

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
ebay seller's name or link to ad?
JBG shipping costs to me will be 1 to 1 of the price of anything I try to purchase from them.

Just seeing this. I'll at work but will get that info for you as soon as I get home this afternoon/tonight