• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Coco's Mods: Recessed fuel cap & filler neck, P. 14

Dusty

Bronco Guru
[NOTE: This started out as a thread for the cage build. But I've turned it into the "Coco's Mods" thread to include any other mods or upgrades I'm doing, or have done, to it. Rather than starting a new thread every time I bolt something on LOL...anyhow, it starts with the cage build and goes from there...]

My wife's Bronco, "Coco" has needed a cage for years and I've just never gotten around to it. I've had a simple 4-point bar in there for a while just to have something, but its finally time to replace it with something more substantial.

Since I work at Poison Spyder I can get DOM pretty cheaply so I'll be using 1.75" X .120 wall DOM for most of it. Here's my work space in the garage at home. Pretty primitive compared to the equipment we have at work but that stuff's for building Jeep parts LOL...

My bender is a JD Squared that I converted to air-over-hydraulic using a Harbor Freight long ram and the ram mount kit from Swag Off-Road. If anyone is looking to convert their manual bender and want to do it as low-buck as possible, I highly recommend this setup. Troy over at Swag developed this kit on my own suggestion and it turned out great.

The overall design concept for Coco has always been sort of a "4X4 muscle car" or desert pre-runner, more than a rock crawler, as I have my other Bronco for that. So I'll be building a sport style cage for it rather than the boxy family style cages you see more often. Here I have one side of the main hoops done and starting to bend up the other side. There's a splice at the middle where the B-pillar will join, which I'll sleeve together with some 1.5" OD inserts.

Both main hoops in. Already you can see the overall lines. I dig the "fastback" look of it.

If you look closely you can see the A-pillar bar going through the dash.

And that's all I have for now. I only worked on it for a few hours last weekend. Like everything I do outside of work these days, it will probably take forever. But I'll update this thread whenever I have more to show. I won't be able to work on it this weekend because I'll be at the Off-Road Expo, so it will be a couple of weeks before I can get back on it.

Last edited:

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Very cool design. Neat rig and innovative approach, I dig it... Love the bender too, can't beat JD2 products...

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the props guys. It has a long way to go still. Been pretty busy at work this week getting ready for Off-Road Expo, otherwise I'd try to bang out a tube or two after work.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Pretty freakin cool man.. Glad to see you still around and kickin...

nik

Loc.
Corcoran, CA
Any links or details on the Harbor Freight air over hydraulic stuff conversion? I found the Swag offroad adapter, just curious if the ram comes like it's shown in the pics.

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Any links or details on the Harbor Freight air over hydraulic stuff conversion? I found the Swag offroad adapter, just curious if the ram comes like it's shown in the pics.

Nik, look for Swag's thread in the vendor section on Pirate4x4. There's some good info in there. But I can tell you the HF ram comes pretty much as shown. With it and the Swag piece you don't need anything else (except the bender itself).

mattt

Bronco Guru
Looking good Dusty! I'm hoping to start a cage for my hooptie soon here.

I have the same bender and the HF air over hydraulic ram, item#94562 (for nik). How fast does it bend? I haven't used mine yet.

If you get anymore pics, I'd like to see the plunge thru the dash if you'll oblige. Are you going straight down with the 1 3/4" once thru the dash or forward to the floorboard like I've seen other pics here?

In your opinion is 1 3/4 .090 wall not adequate? I was unsure which wall to use. I've been pricing tube lately as I'm gearing up. Again....looking good!

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Matt, the ram reaches full extension in about 30 seconds. My A-pillar tubes turn down just behind the dash. I'll get some better pics of that soon.

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
iMo, The .090 is fine if you're using chromoly, and in compression/tension members only if using DOM, and not at all if using HREW. If using DOM I'd stick with .120 on outside members that are likely to see side loads in a rollover. I'm not a metals expert, that's just tribal knowledge I've picked up over the years.

nik

Loc.
Corcoran, CA
Nik, look for Swag's thread in the vendor section on Pirate4x4. There's some good info in there. But I can tell you the HF ram comes pretty much as shown. With it and the Swag piece you don't need anything else (except the bender itself).

Sweet! thanks Dusty

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Building a cage for Coco

My Bronco work has been sidelined for the past few montgs by medical issues, a litter of puppies, and helping my wife's high school robotics team. Hope to get back on it soon. Been gathering parts for a few other mods too :)

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Finally got a little more progress on this over the weekend. First a shot of my rickety Harbor Freight tube notcher LOL...

Pretty much got most of the main structure done.

This is the third Early Bronco cage I've built, and all of them have gone through the dash :D

I'm debating whether to put diagonals in the B-pillar section. I know it would be the smart thing to do but I don't plan on racing this thing.

Digging the fastback lines of this thing.

There's still quite a bit to do on it. I need to put the foot plates in, add a couple of gussets here and there, a couple of grab handles, some tabs and brackets. I'm also debating whether to put A-to-B and B-to-C horizontal bars in. Again it would be the smart thing to do but I'm trying to keep this thing light.

desertoasis2b

that looks bitchin dusty, maybe someday when we get time from work we'll get to wheel again.

kevin

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
IMHO, racing or not, it needs at least one full height diagonal in the main hoop. It's a house of cards and full of false security until then.

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Building a cage for Coco

I think you're right Thom. It needs some triangulation in the B-section. Gonna have to bring home some more tube LOL...