• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Just got the centrapod in the mail...

Chicago71Bronco

Loc.
Chicagoland
After much debating of how to get some sound up front I finally decided on the Centrapod for now. Tip of the hat to Louie for the raving reviews and great pics.
Someday if I ever have enough money to tear the rig apart I'll get the BC broncos blank dash and have the speakers in the dash.

So the crutchfield box came in the mail today with the centrapod and my new infinity speakers. I gotta say it's not extravagant but it's simple, sturdy and looks like it will do the trick just fine. Total for the speakers and pod was $160. Hopefully I can get a chance to install this weekend and take a cruise.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365039400.533457.jpg

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
After much debating of how to get some sound up front I finally decided on the Centrapod for now. Tip of the hat to Louie for the raving reviews and great pics.
Someday if I ever have enough money to tear the rig apart I'll get the BC broncos blank dash and have the speakers in the dash.

So the crutchfield box came in the mail today with the centrapod and my new infinity speakers. I gotta say it's not extravagant but it's simple, sturdy and looks like it will do the trick just fine. Total for the speakers and pod was $160. Hopefully I can get a chance to install this weekend and take a cruise.

View attachment 294821

Please post pics when complete. I think I want to do the same thing.

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Subscribed, will be interested to hear your experience and see what it looks like installed. How will you be mounting it?

OP
OP
Chicago71Bronco

Chicago71Bronco

Loc.
Chicagoland
It came with 2 self tapping screws that have a rubber seal around them so that the box stays sealed up. There are no specific screw holes which is great because you can decide where you want them.

OP
OP
Chicago71Bronco

Chicago71Bronco

Loc.
Chicagoland
Okay so they mentioned that they make the openings on the tight size to ensure that all speakers will fit and have a nice seal. I dropped the infinitys in to check the fit and they were a little snug. About 30 seconds with the dremel tool was all it took.

Should be doing the install Saturday morning unless I can sneak out of work early today

Here's a pic of the box and pic of the fasteners that have the gasket seals...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365176398.948118.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365176416.884536.jpg

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Are you screwing it to the dash or the tunnel. Can't wait to see your installed photos. Thank you for posting this.

OP
OP
Chicago71Bronco

Chicago71Bronco

Loc.
Chicagoland
Are you screwing it to the dash or the tunnel. Can't wait to see your installed photos. Thank you for posting this.

Good question. I just assumed I would screw it to the tunnel. Haven't really thought about any other options. For now the bronco lives a few miles away in a storage unit until we're done building the house so I haven't been able to play around with the placement.

I'm guessing the tunnel will be best since getting a drill in there is going to be tough enough as it is. The way the box sits it think screwing up into the dash is going to be impossible

OP
OP
Chicago71Bronco

Chicago71Bronco

Loc.
Chicagoland
Okay guys, I got everything installed on Saturday morning and I’ll attempt to do a quick write up/walk through.

So I’ve got my speaker wires (marked for right and left with sharpie), Centrapod, and new speakers all ready to go.

Step 1: Figure out mounting placement for Centrapod. The Centrapod fit perfectly on the tunnel when turned upside down. Now because it’s upside down, the hole for the wires to run through is on the bottom of the box and will be against the floor.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365438271.161305.jpg
Step 2: Run wires through the hole on the bottom of the box before mounting the box.

Step 3: Connect Speakers to make sure everything works and is hooked up properly (not necessary, but I’m horrible at wiring and wanted to make sure everything worked before screwing the speakers into the box and then realizing I messed up).
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365438303.443452.jpg
Step 4: Screw Centrapod box into place. Because there’s not a ton of operating room for a drill between the box and the dash, I drilled pilot holes in the tunnel and used a socket set to drive the self tapping hex screw in (quick tip – if you have a manual trans, move the shifter away from you so you can actually turn the wrench. Yeah I know, obvious but I was totally that guy that didn’t realize it until I was on the second screw)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365438333.458103.jpg
Step 5: Screw the speakers into the Centrapod

Step 6: Drive as fast as possible with the top off and crank up the tunes!!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365438361.144705.jpg
I must say, I couldn’t be happier with it. It’s a lot less bulky looking than I expected – it actually looks like it belongs there and kind of blends in. Plus it totally did the trick. I used to cruise on the highway (topless) with the radio at volume level 25 and could barely hear what song was playing. Now I only have to turn it up to 18 and I can hear everything just fine.

My total cost was $160 (Centrapod and Speakers) and an hour of my time. Oh yeah and $5 worth of wire connectors from radioshack. For the investment, this solution was worth every penny – hands down.

Holler if you have any questions,
Adam

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
mmhmm now I see why they couldn't get the truck in until 1:30, someone was hooking up some tunes. :)

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Looks Slick Adam.. Glad it worked well for you man.

OP
OP
Chicago71Bronco

Chicago71Bronco

Loc.
Chicagoland
mmhmm now I see why they couldn't get the truck in until 1:30, someone was hooking up some tunes. :)

I was working on the tunes while waiting for the shop to make room for me.

On another note, I was going to go for a drive in Sunday and call you to see if you were around. However the bronco wouldnt idle. When I popped the hood I found a big gas leak coming from the back of the carb so I'm outta commission again

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
What transmission are you running? Trying to see if your shifter positions will be similiar to what mine will be.

Thanks

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Looks good, don't think that is going to work with a NP435...

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
Thanks, thought the position looked like a NV3550. That is what I will be running. Nice little pod too. Who's twin stick did you go with? How do you like it?

Thanks Again,

Scott