• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Door Post VIN Sticker

BroncoinAlaska

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
I am having a difficult time titling and registering my 77 Bronco. I am at the stage of getting a VIN inspection by the state police. As my door post VIN has been painted over by the pervious owner. The 3 closest DMVs will not even look at the VIN in the glove box. I want to prepair for the state police inspection.

What would be the best way to remove the paint on the door post and preserve the VIN sticker?

VIN frame location on a 77? Rear passenger above the 9"?

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
The VIN on the frame is located on the top of the passenger side frame rail, slightly further down than the starter. There is also one further back on the same rail, but it is hard to reach with the body on.

If the tag is still intact underneath the paint, you might could use some paint thinner and a razor blade to remove the paint. Be careful not to damage the tag in the process.

You could try passing off a replacement one from Marti Auto Works.
www.martiauto.com

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Thats odd usually the door post sticker doesnt mean nothing its actually just a safety certification sticker while it may have the VIN on it. Its not really a legal way to verify the VIN of a vehicle. Of course what can you do if your DMV only want to look there??
Most likey you wont be able to get the paint off without messing up the sticker or the VIN. So your best bet as stated would be marti auto

OP
OP
BroncoinAlaska

BroncoinAlaska

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Found my VIN on the frame. It was not located further down from the starter. I found it on the passenger frame rail just befor the 9" axle. Thanks to Madgyver and his pic form this old tread.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154318

attachment.php

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
The vin just behind the starter can be the easiest to find between the two, especially if you have s body lift. I found mine using a straight cut-off tool using a 1.5" wire wheel. Smaller wire wheels are out there. Using a wire brush will take forever. If there is a coating or paint use some paint remover and wipe off. Regardless, using a small wire wheel gave me great results in no time. DONT GRIND or SAND as it may remove the vin or make it difficult to read.