• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New guy, New Eb, New project!

broncosamutt

New to the forum and EB's I've got a 78 that I've had and worked on for a few years, former Jeep guy:banghead:

Just sold my Tj and picked up a 66 and come across this site, thought it be a good place to start as I really don't know to much about the EB's and there quirks or how to's. Here's some pics to start threw some old roller Cj rims and tires on it to get it home. Pics tomorrow I guess, can't find the file!

ehe2edaz.jpg

There's a ton I want to do to it, first thing I did was picked up a set of 35" Mtr's on the way home. Told the wife they came with it :beer:

6emupumu.jpg

Contemplating putting the James Duff heim steering system on, it needs new tie rod anyhow http://www.dufftuff.com/Heim_Joint_Steering_Systems_1966_77_Bronco_p/5640.htm installing it over the knuckle. Any input on this setup.

Also it came with another eb d44 not sure on the year tho. Should I just take the knuckles off the newer axle and swap over the disk brake setup or swap axles then ring and pinion/locker?
sesaveze.jpg
yqarepam.jpg

Overall it seems to be at one point and time built right, but then just beat on. This is my first build thread so if it gets boring or tedious lmk maybe I can get the ole lady to help spice it up! Tomorrow I'll post up the other pics and the rest of the specs on the Bronc.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
That looks like it has a lot of fun built in.lol ..I doubt anyone will hold that jeep thing against you but it's good you came clean upfront....LOL... The fact You'VE HAD a78 shows you have some Class as well....lolol....Welcome to the site!! Snd Thanks for the pics!!!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey broncosamutt! Welcome here too.
Nice find.

Regarding the front end, if your current setup is still the Dana 30 that a '66 would have come with originally, the knuckles out won't swap over. If it's a 44 already though, you're good to go and at least you'll still have the matching gear ratios. Hopefully!

Wouldn't hurt to verify the ratio in the extra front though too, so you'll know up front if you have to change yours or not.
Originally, your '66 could have been had with 3.54's (usually V8 only), or 4.10 (4.09?), or 4.56 (I-6 only maybe?) and might even have had a limited slip.
The 44 on the other hand would only have had the 3.54 and 4.10 available.

Not to worry about slight mis-matches. Since you're a Jeep owner, you may already know about the variations, but your TJ would have had the same exact ratios front and rear, so the subject may never have come up.
The Broncos had a Ford 9" rear, so the ratios between that and the Dana front will have slight variations of a few hundredths (3.50 vs 3.54, or 4.11 vs 4.09 for instance).
Nothing to be troubled by.

Have a great time with your new project. Invite the wife and kids (if any) here to the site too, so they can join in the fun.
Well, maybe, depending on how she reacts to that revelation in the first post!

Paul

OP
OP
B

broncosamutt

Thanks guys. The current front end is a d44 and it supposedly has 4.56 gears and a locker. I plan on verifying that today. I'm on day 10 of a tonsilectomy and nasal reconstruction so I think I can actually go out to the garage for a little bit to play, I got the Bronc 3 days b4 the surgery that's been the painful part not being able to do anything! The only good thing is that the big Brown ferry has dropped off several packages :thumbup:

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Nice;)Welcome to the site and my wife never fell for them "came with it stories":-X

Don't forget to vote top 4x4 if you like n hope you get lots of fun out of the EB.

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Welcome aboard!!! Nice looking rig!! That spare D44 with disc could cause fitment problems with your wheels?? If it's a 76'-77' the knuckles turn out and you'll need wheels with less than 3.5" BS or spacers!!! I found out the hard way!!!%)%) Good Luck!!

broncorckcrwlr

Loc.
London, Ky
Good looking bronco. Congrats! If you are sure that the the front under the bronco is a d44 (ball joint not king pin) then I would leave it there and either keep the extra one for a future project (you can't have just one eb) or sell it for money to spend on the bronco like upgrading the axles if you are planning to beat on it. A disk brake dana 44 brings good money. If the one under the bronco is a drum brake d44 it would be easier and cheaper to just convert it to discs and while you're at it convert the rear 9in to discs as well. You will find there is a long list of never ending upgrades you can do to the eb and it just gets better with time! Good luck.

OP
OP
B

broncosamutt

How can I tell what year d44 it is that I have? I know it has the "y link" tie rod setup that's 48" center to center on the knuckles that's why I was hoping to just swap out knuckles when I do the Heim steering system. Headed out now to work on it, the 78 looks sad
qy5ududa.jpg

Miker

Bronco Guru
Hey, welcome to the site, as a reformed Jeep guy, I can tell you these are so much more fun in so many ways. All, except your wallet.... Like damn near everyone on this site, you will find they are every bit as addictive as crack cocaine is (said to be :))
A Ton of smart folks on this site, don't be afraid to ask any questions, guys on here are delighted to help out where they can. Welcome!

OP
OP
B

broncosamutt

Got it power washed, probably gonna need it 2-3 more times! Here's some more pics as I got it.
azu9u7a3.jpg
aze8ynaz.jpg
e8u6enun.jpg
e3y6ybut.jpg

vaze5a7e.jpg

It's got a 351w came with a desktop dyno build sheet at 402hp, c6, twin sticked d20, 2" suspension and 3"body lift, a few rust holes and a ton of mud!

OP
OP
B

broncosamutt

So much for 4.56 gears and locked!
urepura4.jpg

Luckily I've got the gears and a Detroit tip swap in. Looks like that's my first project.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
They almost the same color....whats wrong with the '78?

They gonna look great sittin side by side;)

'66 looks like it's got a later yr dash?

dube

Bronco Guru
Loc.
big lake Mn

dont know about that, same layout as my 71 out back. it has the throttle control on the left top part of the dash.

OP
OP
B

broncosamutt

Nothings wrong with the 78, famous last words but that things a beast. Just haven't given it any attention lately, occasional dune trip. The 66 I'm not sure on the color theme yet. My 14 yr old wants it to be blue with yellow stripes, he's a UofM fan and I want to drab it out. We haven't tossed the coin yet.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco

dont know about that, same layout as my 71 out back. it has the throttle control on the left top part of the dash.

'66 would have the cone shaped knobs,speaker slots would be horizontal.

Attachments

• Dashlayoutonly.jpg
    Dashlayoutonly.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 80
OP
OP
B

broncosamutt

It's a 66 grill, according to that pic. Check out this Pitman arm and the bailing wire holding up the drag link, no wonder it had death wobble :eek:
yquvesab.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Nah, think it's the older one. No ash tray and the wider speaker grille.
Manual choke and throttle controls were available for a few years.

That spare D44 with disc could cause fitment problems with your wheels?? If it's a 76'-77' the knuckles turn out and you'll need wheels with less than 3.5" BS or spacers!!! I found out the hard way!!!%)%) Good Luck!!

Right that!
In looking closer at it though, it looks like the steering arms don't curve out like the '76/'77's do. And, notice the washers? I bet those are full-size knuckles with a stock tie-rod mounted to them. Had to take up the extra space to get the nut to seat and still hit the cotter pin hole, with the larger tapered hole.
At least larger holes would explain the washers. But the arms actually don't look like my F150 arms either. Just a tiny bit different maybe? If so, they could be from one of many 44 donors, but should still work well for you.

Check out this Pitman arm and the bailing wire holding up the drag link, no wonder it had death wobble

No kidding! A broken pitman arm and an original type draglink. Even if it's not the original, they haven't serviced that type of spring-loaded rod end for a long time.
A new pitman arm is definitely in your future.
Strange trackbar mount too. Look into that as well. Maybe it's just the camera close-up making it look fisheyed instead of it actually being bent. But it still looks tweaked.

And those tires... Along with the other things you pointed out, if he said it had death-wobble, I'm not surprised at all!

Nice '78 for sure. You ever get over to ProjectBronco.com or 7879bigbronco.com?
Check 'em out if you still have time after hanging out here!

Paul

OP
OP
B

broncosamutt

The track bar is deff cobbled in there as well, I just haven't gotten that far yet! I've got a few diff pitman arms to try out, I'm waiting for the JD Heim joint steering to come in so I can see if I need the flat or drop arm after going over the knuckle.

I'll have to check them other forums out as well!

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Man I have to say that is one sharp '78...me really like it;)