• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'Need help withFront bench seat foam, etc.......

TPTFPS68

Loc.
Mexico, Mo
Is there a manufacturer for foam on a front EB bench seat?
I have seen the seat covers on ebay, but I didn't know about
the foam. I have never personally seen a bench seat for an EB, but need
one and need to know if there are any additional parts to the seat
that are required? Mounts? Any help would be appreciated.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I saw somewhere that the foam is now being reproduced but can't remember where. May have been in Bronco Driver magazine. It is really just flat foam unlike the stock buckets that have bolsters. Here are a couple of pics of one that I have in storage to give you an idea of what they look like and how they are built. This is out of a '69 delivery model.

Attachments

• S3011028.jpg
    S3011028.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 48
  • S3011031.jpg
    S3011031.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 44
  • S3011026.jpg
    S3011026.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 36

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I bought a bench a couple of years ago but have not installed it fully yet which is to say it's been put in my rig for a test fit but then taken out for recovering.

There's no foam in the original bench seat (mine had the factory cover still on it). I found this out when I took the covers off mine which explains why both of us couldn't find foam.

The seat is built from burlap reinfoced with wire mesh over the springs and a thick cotten pad on top of that along with some wire here and there to give it support followed by the seat cover.

For your 68 it should be a direct fit. just remove the buckets and bolt in teh bench. In my 74 I had to drill a couple of mounting holes in the floor.

If you go original bench, you can find them out on e-bay and sometimes here in the classifieds (where I bought mine). The best way to ship it is greyhound. Should be $100 to about anywhere in the lower US. Bronco Hut sells the original covers for $400 or so. I want the original look but may that price is crazy high to me. I found no place selling the correct seat springs. Mine has a couple that were broken so we made do with other springs.

If you want another option, I'm told the seats out of some Ranger pickups will fit but are not direct bolt ins. I'm sure others will add to the Ranger info.

My bench is stripped, blasted, primered and painted. Just can't seem to ge tthe budget right for the recover.....

Tim

OP
OP
TPTFPS68

TPTFPS68

Loc.
Mexico, Mo
Thanks man! That's great info. Are there any additional brackets to the frame.
Are there any differences in bench seats? I need one for a 66.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
No additional brackets. They have a set of sliders just like the buckets. One on each end. If I remember correctly the front mounts are the same but the rear mounts are in a different location. You would have to drill a couple of holes like Timmy mentioned. The only difference may be the upholstery pattern. 66-67 used different patterns on the buckets so the bench was probably different as well. FWIW the pattern on the one picture above looks more like the 66-67 upholstery so Ford may have just never bothered updating the benches as they were not a popular option. The Bronco that that bench came out of had chrome side molding and chrome wing windows so it had a special décor package of some sort. Not sure what.

OP
OP
TPTFPS68

TPTFPS68

Loc.
Mexico, Mo
I saw somewhere that the foam is now being reproduced but can't remember where. May have been in Bronco Driver magazine. It is really just flat foam unlike the stock buckets that have bolsters. Here are a couple of pics of one that I have in storage to give you an idea of what they look like and how they are built. This is out of a '69 delivery model.

I am showing my ignorance, but what makes your EB a delivery model?
Is there a difference between your seat frame and one for a 66?

OP
OP
TPTFPS68

TPTFPS68

Loc.
Mexico, Mo
I bought a bench a couple of years ago but have not installed it fully yet which is to say it's been put in my rig for a test fit but then taken out for recovering.

There's no foam in the original bench seat (mine had the factory cover still on it). I found this out when I took the covers off mine which explains why both of us couldn't find foam.

The seat is built from burlap reinfoced with wire mesh over the springs and a thick cotten pad on top of that along with some wire here and there to give it support followed by the seat cover.

For your 68 it should be a direct fit. just remove the buckets and bolt in teh bench. In my 74 I had to drill a couple of mounting holes in the floor.

If you go original bench, you can find them out on e-bay and sometimes here in the classifieds (where I bought mine). The best way to ship it is greyhound. Should be $100 to about anywhere in the lower US. Bronco Hut sells the original covers for $400 or so. I want the original look but may that price is crazy high to me. I found no place selling the correct seat springs. Mine has a couple that were broken so we made do with other springs.

If you want another option, I'm told the seats out of some Ranger pickups will fit but are not direct bolt ins. I'm sure others will add to the Ranger info.

My bench is stripped, blasted, primered and painted. Just can't seem to ge tthe budget right for the recover.....

Tim

400 bucks is a lot of money for a seat cover! I found a nice silver set on Ebay from madeone4you. I think the cost is around 250.00 You might check it out.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Thanks man! That's great info. Are there any additional brackets to the frame.
Are there any differences in bench seats? I need one for a 66.

No difference that I know of.

The sliders can be removed from the frame (they bolt on) but that's part of the seat IMO so I don't consider those seperate items.

Oh and if you do buy original, make sure the sliders WORK. The PS one on my bench didn't and it's a HUGE pain to disassemble the sliders (it's put togetehr with big press it rivets and then the guts are a stainless steel plate thing that has 6 ball bearings clipped into it. If the clips are damaged they can't be replaced that I know of. Reassembly is jsut as hard.....

I got lucky and got mine working but it took lots of beer, time and creative thinking.

Tim

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
400 bucks is a lot of money for a seat cover! I found a nice silver set on Ebay from madeone4you. I think the cost is around 250.00 You might check it out.

Oh yeah...$400 is high for just the covers.....I got a guy here local that will recover it in about anything I want and all padding etc. for $350. Just not in the budget right. The bench is more of a want than a need at this time.

Tim

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I am showing my ignorance, but what makes your EB a delivery model?
Is there a difference between your seat frame and one for a 66?

I don't have that Bronco any more but a delivery model is a Bronco with a full hard top, bench seat, and a bulkhead like the one used on the half cab. I don't think any of the seats were different. The only difference I know of from the 66-67 models and the 68-77 models is the upholstery pattern. 66-67 used horizontal pleats and 68-77 used vertical pleats. That was on the buckets though. I don't think the benches were any different. IIRC the bench pictured is a matchstick and corinthian interior. I looked it up once but cant remember the exact package.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Looks like some of the 66 models came with just a flat upholstery set. No pleats or patterns. Broncograveyard has the upholstery sets for $200 and broncohut has them too but I have heard that the ones broncohut carries are a very high quality set.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
What do you guys think a fair price would be for a front bench frame with working slides?

All depends on the condition and how bad you want it........

I paid $325 or $350 for mine shipped Greyhound Chi to Little Rock (got it in 3 days).......Cover was original but ripped on the DS both seat and back. Couple of springs broken a mouse nest or three in the seat back and like with all things bronco...some rust on the frame.

BD99's photos show his to be in slightly better shape than mine was....my covers were ripped more.....and I'm guessing mo mouse nests....LOL

Tim

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
They aren't the easiest thing to find as there weren't a bunch of them made. I would sell the one I have but would be in the $300 range(that's about what I paid for it). I don't think it out of line as used buckets go for about $100 a piece. IF you are interested let me know. Maybe we can work something out.

ccbronco

The seat pictured is a sport model seat. I have a bench that I reupholstered a few years ago with just plain white. I have buckets I will be putting back in the vehicle when I finish (If I ever finish). I have not yet drilled holes for the buckets. If you need any measurement info let me know. BTW, I am keeping my bench in the event I ever want to reinstall it for show purposes. For function with the family I am putting in a rear bench.

OP
OP
TPTFPS68

TPTFPS68

Loc.
Mexico, Mo
They aren't the easiest thing to find as there weren't a bunch of them made. I would sell the one I have but would be in the $300 range(that's about what I paid for it). I don't think it out of line as used buckets go for about $100 a piece. IF you are interested let me know. Maybe we can work something out.

Thanks! I will let you know. I'm working on one right now, but don't know
how it's going to end up. If I could just buy a good frame/springs/slides, I may be better off since I want to recover it.

OP
OP
TPTFPS68

TPTFPS68

Loc.
Mexico, Mo
The seat pictured is a sport model seat. I have a bench that I reupholstered a few years ago with just plain white. I have buckets I will be putting back in the vehicle when I finish (If I ever finish). I have not yet drilled holes for the buckets. If you need any measurement info let me know. BTW, I am keeping my bench in the event I ever want to reinstall it for show purposes. For function with the family I am putting in a rear bench.

thanks for the offer!

ehumaui

I replaced my foam, I bought it from the fabric store. I think the cover was an after market

Rc

01JLH

Also, on the delivery model, they did not have any bolt holes for a rear seat at least on my 72. The rear floor pan on other models have predrilled holes with nuts welded on from the bottom. Mine had full top, bench seat, bulkhead and no provision for rear seat.

rockcrawler74

I just finished my rehab project on my bench seat. I bought the covers off of ebay from madeone4you. It fit really nice and appears to be quality fabric. I bought the 2" green high density foam from my local fabric store for the padding, it seems just right for the back, however for the bottom I think I needed something just a touch thicker. Maybe a mix of some 2" high density and a 1" of regular would have filled out the bottom alittle better. All in all I really like having the bench seat.