• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

"Festus" build is officially underway!

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, I have been meaning to start a build thread. All my vehicles have a name so I am calling this one "Festus" because some parts of it have been an aggravating cuss already, but it is working out.

I will try to update as I go, but I am not a picture taker so it will be a challenge for me. I have taken several so far so we will see if it continues.

This will most likely be a long drawn out build, but my goal is to have it ready by Supercelebration 2015.

Here is where I am at now. I took the frame from a rusted out 72 and the axles out of a 73. The previous owner of the 73 missed up the frame trying to add power steering but it had a heavy duty rear end and a limited slip front end. It will be a 72.

I had to fix three of the body mount holes in the frame and then had the frame and axles sand blasted and painted.

I assembled the frame and axles and then took the axles apart to clean and install bearing and seals. I found a broken spider gear in the rear so decided to regear to 411 and install a eaton tru trac. I got the rear end back together tonight and am moving to the front end.

I have already disassembled the front end as I am adding F150 disc brakes so I am working to get it all reassembled.

after the front end is complete, then next is new brakes lines, brakes, 23 gallon tank, new wiring, and then on to the body for a few repairs.

Attachments

• 72 bronco (2).jpg
    72 bronco (2).jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_0153.jpg
    IMG_0153.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_0106.jpg
    IMG_0106.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_0112.jpg
    IMG_0112.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_0113.jpg
    IMG_0113.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 328
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 312
OP
OP
bigcountry

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A few more pictures of the assembled from and the rear end. The rear springs are wild horses 2.5" and the front are deaver springs. It will have a 1" body lift with 33" tires and 5 speed.

Attachments

• rear end installed.jpg
    rear end installed.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 238
  • broken spider gear.jpg
    broken spider gear.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 231
  • frame with axles.jpg
    frame with axles.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 238

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Keep going....Yes, we're watching!

You know the N E X T SuperCelebration is 2014; not 2015! Looks good Lane!

OP
OP
bigcountry

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Keep going....Yes, we're watching!

You know the N E X T SuperCelebration is 2014; not 2015! Looks good Lane!

I plan to be at the N EX T SuperCelebration in 2014 but I do not think I can finish it that fast, even if I had all the parts ready to reassemble and I still got several things to get. lol

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
Maybe fixing that broken spider gear will fix the ketch in Festus' get-a-long;)
That frame looks good enough to bring to the Celebration. Keep us posted - WITH PICTURES;D

Mill KNOB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rock Hill, SC
Go Lane, Go Lane, Go Lane GO!!!!!

I have been wondering when you was going to start your build thread. Looking good.

Will be watching.

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks good so far! I’ll be watching the progress.:cool:

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Hey boy, it's about time!!! We went and got the body over a year ago!!!!%)%)

Get that deer shooting boy of yours out there and teach him EB's!!!!;D;D

Good Luck!!

nlped

Lane,

Looks great! I'm definitely gonna be watching this one since its relatively close to home :D.

OP
OP
bigcountry

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lane,

Looks great! I'm definitely gonna be watching this one since its relatively close to home :D.

Yeah, I am moving slow on it right now. I just got the front end set up with the new gears and will be installing the disc brakes and starting on the brakes lines this week.

OP
OP
bigcountry

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Update.....Been busy the month of December and not had a lot of time to work on the bronco.

Finally finished the front end. New 411 gears, all new bearing, new ujoints in the axles.

Completed the F150 disc brake conversion today, still got to put the hubs on it.

I made a new tag for the front to represent the new gears and trac loc. Going to make one for the rear also with 411 tru trac.

Attachments

• disc brakes.jpg
    disc brakes.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 168
  • disc brakes 2.jpg
    disc brakes 2.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 166
  • D44 tag 4.11.jpg
    D44 tag 4.11.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 196
OP
OP
bigcountry

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Love the tag idea. How did you make it?

Pretty simple really. I used the original tag so it would also have the original build information on it.

Cleaned it up (I sandblasted mine) and flipped it over.
I have a set of letter and number punch dies and put the info in the back...
Painted it black and highlighted it with a silver sharpie.

I just thought it would look neat and no one has to guess what is in it.

I am going to do the rear end the same way and put 4.11 true trac

OP
OP
bigcountry

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got hubs cleaned, rebuilt, and installed. Starting on brakes and brake lines next.....

Attachments

• disc brakes 4.jpg
    disc brakes 4.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 95
  • disc brakes 3.jpg
    disc brakes 3.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 83
OP
OP
bigcountry

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looking Lane...

At this rate you should be ready for Super Celebration 2014!;D

Let's do the math. I figure I am averaging installing 1 part a day if you count one bearing a part, one race a part, etc... since I started the build. Only 10,000 parts to go. Nope won't make Super Celebration 2014.:D:D

But I hope it won't be from lack of trying.;) Deer season is about over and it is a couple months before Turkey season, so I hope to get a good bit done, but we will see. I got to put disc brakes on highvoltage's bronco before super celebration also.