• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My 1971 Baja Bronco

andyp

Contributor
I bought this Bronco from (not surprisingly) Andrew Norton. It has the original engine, transmission, etc. Lots of original paperwork and service receipts. Original California black steel wheel truck with no rust. Interior is mostly original and unrestored.

I’m going to be fixing up a few things. I'll add pics and update as we go along.

Last edited:
OP
OP
andyp

andyp

Contributor
Today I removed the top and dash pad. I used a lift and straps to lift the top. It was still kind of a pain and I flailed around for a while. This is the first time I have completely removed a top. I don’t recommend doing it by yourself, I won’t do that again.

Last edited:

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Congratulations to you and Andrew. He ( Andrew ) still have the cloth top one?

House

Minutia Militia
Sweet looking rig, congrats!
Radio without antenna?

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Very Cool! I kinda like the black wheels on the Baja look but I'll be sticking with slots on mine. Congrats on the new ride.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Andy's Baja is sweet. It's a favorite for sure. It's always been well taken care of and is pretty original. The black wheels are cool too.

Andy and all taking a top off, I always recommend pulling the taillight lenses and buckets out and removing the "legs" of the top that stick in thru the rear bed corners. They come out thru the taillight holes and makes removing the top way easier. Next time.

halfcab - yes, I still have the softtop Baja and have started to work on it actually. It's technically still available but soon will probably get worked on enough to need to revise the ad.

House - this is one of those "radio kit" trucks that got added at a dealer. Not sure what they did for an antenna - but...paint has had spot repair here and there so antenna hole may have gone away then.

OP
OP
andyp

andyp

Contributor
Andy's Baja is sweet. It's a favorite for sure. It's always been well taken care of and is pretty original. The black wheels are cool too.

Andy and all taking a top off, I always recommend pulling the taillight lenses and buckets out and removing the "legs" of the top that stick in thru the rear bed corners. They come out thru the taillight holes and makes removing the top way easier. Next time.

LOL. That’s what caused me the most trouble. I never even knew those were there until I started picking it up. I knew the bolts went into something just never put it together. Yes, next time...

OP
OP
andyp

andyp

Contributor
That Baja looks sweet. What is the plan?

That is always the toughest question. Once you get started it’s hard to not let it snowball out of control. I really want to preserve the old look while making this a bit more drivable.

Dash pad first. A little to much “patina” for me.
While the top is off I’m going to get it repainted and fix a few small dents including the scratch I put in while taking the top off. :-X
It also needs a rebuild of the original carb and I would like to make the suspension a little more driver friendly. That’s it for now.

Attachments

• IMG_6701_zps94ecc27b.jpg
    IMG_6701_zps94ecc27b.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 179
OP
OP
andyp

andyp

Contributor
Very Cool! I kinda like the black wheels on the Baja look but I'll be sticking with slots on mine. Congrats on the new ride.

I love the slots, but this is how mine was ordered so I’m going with that for now. This spare tire and wheel were ordered by the original owner shortly after purchase. I have the receipt for it, kinda cool.

Attachments

• IMG_6694_zpsf0ecfd4e.jpg
    IMG_6694_zpsf0ecfd4e.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:

gritz

That tire is pretty cool. My stroppe kit bronco has 4 of those Armstong tires on it.

House

Minutia Militia
Black painted chrome?! ;D Any other cool options?
Do you have the window sticker, sales documents, and such?

OP
OP
andyp

andyp

Contributor
Black painted chrome?! ;D Any other cool options?
Do you have the window sticker, sales documents, and such?

Yup.
Window sticker, Stroppe order, owner card, owners manual, etc.

Last edited:

blamejane

Contributor
Bronco Guru
OMG...so freakin' awesome. Love that BAJA!

Congrats, it looks really amazing. You can't beat all of the original parts along with the documentation. WOW.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did you manage to get the top off without scratching the paint on the top of the bed rail?
If so, you're a very careful person. Or "vewy kewful" said like Elmer Fudd.

I always loosen the windshield wiper motor when I do a top. Makes it much easier to move around to the right angles to get them out of the stake pockets.
I like Andrew's idea though. Never tried that, but it sounds like an even better way.

Enjoy. Nothing like original, and still in good shape.

Paul