• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1 pc oil pan gasket / 2 pc main seal.3rd x charms!

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
First off I've searched this site and a couple mustang sights with a lot info on both subjects but the two piece main seal I found a lot of different info so I just started my own thread .

I have a 351W that was pulled from a '75 econoline van(not sure it was org. to the van?) This was done in the early '80's. So I'm thinking it's the two piece rear main seal.

I need all to chime in that have replaced this while still in the Bronco and what experiences you had and best way to take out n replace.

Also am going back with the one piece oli pan gasket and any advice on that and which part store has it as a Google only shows O'riley . (Local ) plenty on line

thanks Gene

Last edited:

demesauce

Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
I recently installed a one piece rear main seal and blue Fel-Pro one piece oil pan gasket. Engine (351w) was in the bronco. I had to jack up the front suspension pretty high to get the oil pan out, but after that is was a piece of cake. If the engine has a compatible one piece rear main seal, I'd definitely go that route. But either way its certainly do-able with the engine in the vehicle

OP
OP
half cab

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Thank and I have a 2.5 sup lift so maybe I won't have to jack to high but if so that'll be ok.

As for the main seal I don't think the one piece will work without doing some modification? Not to sure .

You wouldn't still have the part no. to the fel-pro one piece would ya?
Oil pan that is

thanks again sauce

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I found my Felpro one piece oil pan seal at Advance Auto. Mine was for a 5.0 though. I can't remember if they had it on the shelf or had it the next day.

OP
OP
half cab

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Looks like there are a couple.

OS30214T years 69-87
OS30616R years 87-91
OS34506R years 94-97

Hey thanks man looks like I fall in the 69-87 category.

Funny ..every time I get one leak stop another or two rears up.:(

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I usually take off the passenger side front wheel/tire and sag the axle on that side to make getting the oil pan out easier. To replace the rear main seal is not a fun job. Remove the rear main cap and set it aside. Some say to loosen the other cap bolts, but I couldn't beacuse of a PO blunder. You shoud see a piece of the upper seal sticking our one side of the block. If so, grab it with some vice grips and pull it out. Soak the new seal in some oil and slide it into the block. Be sure to put it in the right way. They're pretty tough to get in and I ruined a set trying last go around. Leave the same amount sticking out as there was when you pulled the old one out. Install the other side of the seal to the cap, leaving the opposite side with an 1/8" sticking up. Again, make sure the seal is oriented correctly. I put a small dab of oil resistant RTV on the end of the seals and along the edge of the cap, as suggested in the instructions. Slide the cap back in place and torque everything back to spec. I really like the one piece Felpro oil pan gasket. but it was tough to get the end pieces to lay in the oil pan channels. Worked great when I finally got it situated correctly. Word of advice. Dont screw the blue plastic studs in too tightly, as mine were a bitch to get back out. Someone will let me know if I missed something.

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
One bit of advice for installing the pan gasket. Get some spray gasket tack and spray some on the pan rails on the block and the top side of the gasket. secure the gasket up with a few bolts long enough for it to stick into place. Then you can raise the pan up (after removing the bolts) and get it in place and reinstall the bolts. This is what I used to do on all one and two piece gaskets when replacing them in the vehicle. Beats trying to hold them in place from under the vehicle.

OP
OP
half cab

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Chief ....broncoman I do appreciate all that info as I'm gonna tackle this Saturday!

Will keep y'all posted

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Chief gives sound advice. I'll only add a bit more detail. If you can't get the old seal half to come out with just pliers then use a piece of wood dowel or copper rod to push on the opposite end while you pull. It helps a bunch. If that does not work then loosen the other bearing caps, and try again.

As mentioned, lube the new one generously and take your time. You do not want to strip or tear it.

To answer your question about retrofitting a one piece seal it can only be done with the block out of the vehicle and in a machine shop.

Last thing, you can get the one piece pan gasket at any of the parts store, but you may have to tell them a day ahead to get it in stock.

Let us know how it goes,
Tyler

Killer Frogs

Loc.
Amarillo, TX
All sounds good. I like the one piece blue FelPro pan gasket too. One trick I found was to take a few small zip ties and tie the gasket to the pan in 4-6 spots. Once you have a few bolts on you can cut the zip ties and the gasket and holes are lined up.

OP
OP
half cab

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Last thing, you can get the one piece pan gasket at any of the parts store, but you may have to tell them a day ahead to get it in stock.

You're right Tyler ...went on n ordered it today as no one had it in stock. but I did get the. seal so can go on and get started this afternoon.

Thanks frogs for the info ;)

70_Steve

Old Guy
One trick I found was to take a few small zip ties and tie the gasket to the pan in 4-6 spots. Once you have a few bolts on you can cut the zip ties and the gasket and holes are lined up.
I did almost the same thing but used those little zip-ties to hold the gasket up to the bottom of the block, similar to what the pins do. I bought a FMS one-piece gasket the first time I did this and it didn't come with those little pins. So I tried to duplicate what they did. But attaching the gasket to the underside of the block let me positively locate the little tits in the gasket on either side of the rear main seal and timing cover.

OP
OP
half cab

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Got the oil pan out this afternoon ..wasn't to bad. Old gasket was toast!!

I'm gonna get after it wide open in the morning ;)

OP
OP
half cab

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Boys that main was tuff but I got it.
emesaqap.jpg

I ck the LB on the main cap bolts n it was like 100lb. .what I need ti know is correct amount . Thanks

OP
OP
half cab

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
It's a 351w is that for an I6 and 289 you show there?

Also I forgot to pic up some anaerobic sealant.

thanks

Last edited: