• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cage question?

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I am in the middle of building a cage for my Bronco. I am curious about the center spreader bars. I have looked at a ton of photos and see that some bars are parallel with the outside of the cage while others are Veed from the center of the B pillar to the front and rear hoops. Is there any reason that two parallel center bars would be less effective than that of the V design. I was planning on the V design but before I began to make them I put a seat in the drivers side and sat down. I am not sure I am crazy about having a bar so close over the top of my head. I added a pic of what I have so far. I still have a few corner braces and the center spreaders to add. Any input or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0431.jpg
    IMG_0431.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 154

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
I went with the V approach. My goal was triangulation and tie in point for the vertical supports you have supporting the A and C pillar legs. Nearly identical design as mine.

I hear you with the V supports. As they span the drivers seat there's just enough room for your head to whack the bar then deflect through the hole the V creates. But then again, with the center only spreader bar you have no material above your head - which is equally as scary.

Here's a pic of mine for example:
IMG_6618.jpg

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I based a lot of my decisions on the design of your cage and a couple others. Safety is definitely my main concern. I am going to see if I can find some shorter seats and try it again before I make my final decision. Great job on your cage too! That thing is awesome! Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the feed back.

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
I based a lot of my decisions on the design of your cage and a couple others. Safety is definitely my main concern. I am going to see if I can find some shorter seats and try it again before I make my final decision. Great job on your cage too! That thing is awesome! Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the feed back.

Thanks. I actually made 3 designs when I was brainstorming my cage. I built them up in Bend-tech, recorded some 3D rendering, then took all 3 designs to the off-road community to critique (including Pirate and a couple other forums). The winner was the design with the least amount of flaming ;D

That was design #3 which includes a standard one-piece B-pillar hoop, then two one-piece ceiling hoops (going from B to A, and B to C), then legs supporting the A and C hoops with triangulation support. The floor bars are in there for seats and belts, and frame tie-in point.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I looked at it again tonight and decided to go with the x design. I am pretty sure different seats will solve the head room problem. I appreciate you guys giving me your input and thanks for posting pics. I wouldn't have been able to do half of the stuff I have without the resources on this site. You guys are awesome!

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I got most of the cage done and would still like input if anyone has any. I got everything welded up that I can reach until I pull it out to weld the bottom tubes. I still need to add the seat rail bars for the front and back and windshield braces and a few gussets along the bottom. I would appreciate any suggestions that anyone has.

I would also like to thank xcntrk and rcmbronc for posting all the pics of their cages. They both gave me what I was looking for when I designed my cage. This site is the most valuable tool I have at my disposal , Thanks to all that contribute to the info here.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0439.jpg
    IMG_0439.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0440.jpg
    IMG_0440.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0435.jpg
    IMG_0435.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0436.jpg
    IMG_0436.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0434.jpg
    IMG_0434.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 70

malonejy

Bronco Guru
Now would be a good time to add any bars behind the seats if you're going to run harnesses.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I am going to run 3 point belts not harnesses. I had harnesses in my last one for a while and didn't like them. I don't plan on doing a lot of wheeling. This is my hunting ride. I plan on getting some weld in bungs for the b pillars.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice work!

Unless you're looking to retain access from front to back, I'd put shoulder bars behind the seats just for the added protection between you and your gear/stuff in the back. You could do the 90 degree bars that maintain rear access through the center if you didn't want to do a single bar midway up the B-pillar...or leave it like it is. I personally like having a bulkhead of sorts, but I haul stuff in the back of mine a lot of time, some of which is better contained than others.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Thanks for the replies! I don't plan on hauling anything except people and maybe the dog. I am going to build a box for the rear to hold all my tools, jack, etc. I still might put those bars behind the seat, I haven't decided yet. I kinda like the seat to recline so I can take a nap after Ive been out hunting. Thanks for the input I appreciate it!