• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ZF vs. NV4500

Amac70

ME
The zf is cheaper and easier to do. Plus it is ford bolts right up. When i was pricing it out it came to half as much as the nv4500. i've got about 1400 into mine total.

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
Look at the Tranny Guide at the bottom of the Tech links to the left.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><-------------l

Hobe

Loc.
N.E. TX
I'm currently running one of each and I would say that they are very similiar in function. I found the ZF to be easier to install because of less adapters, just creates fewer issue's to deal with.<br><br>The trannies are similiar in size and capability, gearing is slightly different but not enough to debate. If you don't decide on a preference then you might just let tranny availability decide. If you find a free NV then it would run about the same in cost, don't laugh this is close to why I have a NV.<br><br>Good luck!

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I'm not running either of them, but if I were ever to swap out my NP435 for one of them, I think I would rather go with the NV4500 for two reasons:<br><br>1) I hate integrated bell housings<br><br>2) I really don't want a hydraulic clutch in my Bronco<br><br>The cost is a big factor though. $3000 for an NV4500 and adapter kit is nearly what I paid for my bronco in the first place.

edge4

Contributor
Loc.
Gonzales, Texas
ZF is easy to install, heavy duty, and a FORD part.<br>Hydraulic clutch makes the shorty headers an easy fit around the frame.

G

I am considering making the same choice - ZF vs NV 4500.<br>Today, 10/30, I talked to my nephew who has been in the mechanic repair business for 15 years. His experience has been that the NV is a overall stronger transmission requiring fewer repairs. So that is making me prefer the NV.<br> <br>Robert - '68

T

teknalee

one way to look at it is you're getting a brand new tranny for 3k if you go with the NV4500 including the adapter kit.. and it's not all too difficult to install so yea. i found 2 used NV4500 in town for 1500.. the adapter kit is like 7-900 so it doesn't HAVE to cost you 3k ;) i spent $2900 on mine

Hobe

Loc.
N.E. TX
[quote author=Robert link=board=5;threadid=10656;start=0#78645 date=1036015447]<br>I am considering making the same choice - ZF vs NV 4500.<br>Today, 10/30, I talked to my nephew who has been in the mechanic repair business for 15 years. His experience has been that the NV is a overall stronger transmission requiring fewer repairs. So that is making me prefer the NV.<br> <br>Robert - '68 <br>[/quote]<br><br>I would think that this type info is better if supported by hard data. I do know that the reason I have an NV in one of my rides was because of the failure rate. Dealer had 3 takeouts that were replaced under warranty, I used the 3 to build one good one. (got them CHEAP)<br><br>Now as for the ZF....well I wasn't fortunate enough to find them just laying around available. Don't know the reason, but could be lack of failure makes them harder to come by. <br>I don't know this for fact but I could easily interpret the info that way and pass it on to all who ask. You know how it goes, yea all of my years as a mechanic I never saw much trouble with the ZF but you can find failed NV's just laying around.<br><br>I have one of each so not knocking either, but the ZF install is easier and CHEAPER with all things being equal!!<br><br>Reman ZF with warranty, adapter with shaft and hyd clutch for under $2000.00. Been there done that, haven't seen the NV in a package that cheap for a Ford conversion. Decide what ya like, how much you want to spend and go for it.

Newt

I put 156000 miles on a ZF in a F250. Had the tc fixed. The trans was still going when I sold the truck. One thing though. The hyd clutch, works great. But, Ford had a problem on the F250. The firewall flexed. Which prevented the clutch from disengaging all the way. I fought that a while & checked with Ford parts. Voila, they had a kit to fix that. So, if you go with the ZF make sure your firewall is solid for the clutch pedal.

G

A lot of responses say the ZF install is simpler than the NV. I have never installed a transmission. It seems to me, however, that buying a complete kit from Tom's Bronco for the NV, is the easiest way to go. The best I understand is that to install a ZF, one has to find, buy, have someone fabricate parts - like the mounting required for the transfer case shifter - find, buy, a master cylinder. Then mount that to the firewall in a already croweded engine compartment. <br>If one would rather have everything needed in a kit, it seems that this would be an easier install. Will enjoy your replies.<br><br>Robert - '68

Amac70

ME
Theres only three things you have to fab a new crossmember. Even at a machine shop it would be less then a hundred bucks or you could buy chucks for $80. Linkage for the clutch which chuck now sells a kit. I did mine for less then $5 from stuff at ace. And some sort of t case linkage. originaly i used the same shifter and mounted it on zf stock bracket and drilled one hole on my shifter and that was it came through the old hole in the floor where the three speed was. The master clynder came from the junkyard $25. The clutch master sits right next to the break master nicely not crowded at all if you have power breaks it might be close but i think it will still fit nicely in there. The tranny just bolts in i think i got mine in by myself in less then 20 minutes. As for strength when i was looking at conversions i went to several manual tranny shops only and each one said the same thing the zf was a stronger better tranny then the nv4500. I like both i've used both but for the cost the zf is the way to go. As for the hydorlic clutch issue some people don't like em i love it no adjustments neccisary it is very smothe operating you get rid of tons of linkage under your truck you get a few more options for exhaust. Any what i'm trying to say is the zf is still half the price of the nv4500 even with any custom work you might have to have done.

Hobe

Loc.
N.E. TX
[quote author=Robert link=board=5;threadid=10656;start=0#78942 date=1036089292]<br>A lot of responses say the ZF install is simpler than the NV. I have never installed a transmission. It seems to me, however, that buying a complete kit from Tom's Bronco for the NV, is the easiest way to go. The best I understand is that to install a ZF, one has to find, buy, have someone fabricate parts - like the mounting required for the transfer case shifter - find, buy, a master cylinder. Then mount that to the firewall in a already croweded engine compartment. <br>If one would rather have everything needed in a kit, it seems that this would be an easier install. Will enjoy your replies.<br><br>Robert - '68 <br>[/quote]<br><br>Well I can clarify my comments if not any others.<br><br>When you buy a kit of any type some of the find, buy and fab is taken care for you but at what cost? <br><br>As for the easier statement.....to me using and installing one adapter and misc parts (all available at your local parts store) is easier than using and installing multiple adapters and parts. <br><br>Sounds to me like there may be some confusion on what the definition of easier is. I don't think easier is to be confused with how you aquire the parts, I use it to refer to the actual install and upkeep.<br><br>You bet it is easier to just one stop shop for everything you need to do a swap, but does that guarantee easier install? Oh and to this issue, I believe that B.C. Bronco may be doing a complete kit based on an add I saw.<br><br>So it looks like that resolves the having to locate parts issue.<br><br>

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I have installed both and the ZF is much easier to install. The hyd. clutch was easy also and there is no clutch bind and no linkage to get in the way.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I do have a kit now but as come do not want the skid plate I will be finishing a cross member this wekend. I even have a hose for the clutch now.

G

[quote author=thegreatjustino link=board=5;threadid=10656;start=0#77998 date=1035837805]<br>I'm not running either of them, but if I were ever to swap out my NP435 for one of them, I think I would rather go with the NV4500 for two reasons:<br><br>1) I hate integrated bell housings<br><br>2) I really don't want a hydraulic clutch in my Bronco<br><br>The cost is a big factor though. $3000 for an NV4500 and adapter kit is nearly what I paid for my bronco in the first place.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Would like to hear why you don't like integrated bell housing.<br><br>Robert - '68