• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NV4500 clutch pedal/arm/throw adjustment

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I measure 6 1/4 from top of pedal to carpet, which is about 3/8 thick, so pretty close. I will say I adjusted clutch pedal to match brake pedal so will see if I can get that a little higher. That will at least get me off the floor for release of clutch.

Still researching parts, conclusion, I may have wrong pressure plate, one for an nv4500, and or wrong throwout bearing, one made for a 2 part friction plate vs one plate. Guys on mustang forums are talking about this error when they do tranny swaps, so like motors, same possible error.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I measure 6 1/4 from top of pedal to carpet, which is about 3/8 thick, so pretty close. I will say I adjusted clutch pedal to match brake pedal so will see if I can get that a little higher. That will at least get me off the floor for release of clutch.

Still researching parts, conclusion, I may have wrong pressure plate, one for an nv4500, and or wrong throwout bearing, one made for a 2 part friction plate vs one plate. Guys on mustang forums are talking about this error when they do tranny swaps, so like motors, same possible error.

I have a couple of spare throwout bearings. One that I know is identical to what's installed and a new one that came with the clutch kit going in when I do my upcoming 408 swap. I'll dig them out and compare. Will report back. Other than that I can't imagine what could be different. The clutch/pressure plate assembly I've had in for 15 years is the same one/same part number that WH still sells for the NV.

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
yeah thats my problem. I can't recall if I used the supplied parts, only non photo part of the entire build. I was worried about the torque i could put through the clutch so went high end or something, TBD.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It was my impression that the correct throwout bearing is simply the normal Ford throwout bearing used on many different model vehicles over the years. Even when they used different pressure plates and discs, the bearing was the same.
Seems like the number is something like an N1439 maybe? Don't hold me to that, but it sounds familiar.

The main change was the pilot bearing.

Paul

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Same belief here, pilot bearing has to be correct to allow nv to mount. Two styles of ford throwout bearings, a pressure plate designed for multi vs single clutch are my only two what ifs, besides sloppy linkage still TBD.

snipes243

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntersville, NC
OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
cant know until I open it up, I'm moving so my foot thick pile of receipts are in some box in some storage unit, somewhere. Thats my problem, I did not keep track of this very well, my bad.

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
closing this out, fixed.

Pic of pedal position, clutch is a pedal thickness higher than brake pedal, and I can't tell really.

What I found was, I had all the linkage adjusted wrong way, I reset it all with crossbar driver side bar as High as I could get it, that forced clutch rod to throwout arm closer. That gave me clutch release about 2-3 inches off floor, and about 2 inches pedal depressed. Whew. Glad I looked it all over, the bushing on top rod connecting pedal was missing, not really an adjustment issue more one of smoothness.

Also, there is an eccentric rubber stop on the clutch pedal arm up under dash, mine was already adjusted to full up.

Attachments

• pedals1.jpg
    pedals1.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 7
Last edited: