• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

66 License Plate Light

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
So I've read a few threads about this and looked at several year's diagrams and the 66 diagram appears to show the bulb itself as the ground. Does anyone know if the 66 had a unique housing for the license plate light? If I put a bulb in the socket it will not power the right tail, but swap the bulb for a jumper wire and I'm in business. Theres obviously something missing as theres just a plastic socket hanging there not attached to the tailgate. Thanks -Jeff

Attachments

• 67WiringDiag.jpg
    67WiringDiag.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 148
  • 66LightDiag.jpg
    66LightDiag.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 101

Lhofkamp

Loc.
Santa Monica
So I've read a few threads about this and looked at several year's diagrams and the 66 diagram appears to show the bulb itself as the ground. Does anyone know if the 66 had a unique housing for the license plate light? If I put a bulb in the socket it will not power the right tail, but swap the bulb for a jumper wire and I'm in business. Theres obviously something missing as theres just a plastic socket hanging there not attached to the tailgate. Thanks -Jeff

I'm not sure if it will help but I think I have the same plate holder. Mines an early 67 and the PO definetly wired it himself drilling a hole through the tail gate. I wonder if he ran into the same issue?

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I'm not sure if it will help but I think I have the same plate holder. Mines an early 67 and the PO definetly wired it himself drilling a hole through the tail gate. I wonder if he ran into the same issue?

Maybe we had the same PO...here's my setup

Attachments

• LicPlateLight.jpg
    LicPlateLight.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 81
  • TailgateWiring.jpg
    TailgateWiring.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 79

rmk57

Here's my setup, it's original to the vehicle. It's a single wire and the housing is the ground.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 88

Lhofkamp

Loc.
Santa Monica
Maybe we had the same PO...here's my setup

Haha strong possibility. Mine had the decency to drill from the bottom although there's butt connectors hanging out of the tailgate. although he did paint over the bulb. Imagine my frustration when I realized it was working just painted over.

You could always just scratch it and install a 12V LED Maplight. Most are made for aircraft but I'm sure you could buy a non aviation one for $10 - $15.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/el/interiolighting/led_maplight.php

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Here's my setup, it's original to the vehicle. It's a single wire and the housing is the ground.

Just as I suspected 57; wonder if anyone has a pic of an original 67 setup, though it may look the same installed

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
66 here the same too. one wire. It was still working, so just restored it and painted, resealed, new bulb.

Attachments

• IMG_3755.jpg
    IMG_3755.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 63
OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
thanks Okie yeah I wouldn't mess with it then, I'm just going to order a housing from Toms thanks guys

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Since you linked to this in another thread, I thought I'd bring it back up and ask if you got it taken care of?
Did the new housing have two wires, and did it fix the issue?
Did you have to re-wire the main circuit to the tail light so that there was not a break in the circuit where the license light is?

The diagram makes it look like Ford simply spliced the wires together inside the connector, in which case the rear lamp would work no matter what happened with the license light. Apparently they did not all work that way though.
It's acting like the license lamp holder becomes the ground for the right hand tail light. But I can't see how that would help since, if the diagram is to be believed, that would be a dead short and can't help the tail light.

Odd one.
Which is why I'm curious what you ended up doing.

Paul

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Since you linked to this in another thread, I thought I'd bring it back up and ask if you got it taken care of?
Did the new housing have two wires, and did it fix the issue?
Did you have to re-wire the main circuit to the tail light so that there was not a break in the circuit where the license light is?

Odd one.
Which is why I'm curious what you ended up doing.

Paul

I really don't recall what I did Paul, that 66 has been out of my possession since March 2017 for tub restoration - although I've baby-sat the chassis from time to time - and the tailgate was so crusty I probably just did what I had to do to make it drivable. (sound familiar?)

oh and the babysitting has now led to a 351 swap :D