• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Soft Top Off & On

Faster Eddie

Loc.
Seattle
How long does it take you to put your soft top on and take it off? How often do you do it?

I love rolling topless, but in the PNW you can get caught off guard with weather and pay a price.

I have a hardtop and a rollcage bikini top. The hardtop is such a PITA to lift off, store, and get dialed back in again, that I'm thinking of getting a soft top.

Anybody get a soft top and kept the hardtop but end up having it sit forever?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing Special

I have a Bestop soft top on my Bronco. I got rid of the hard top because I knew I'd never use it (I don't drive the Bronco in the winter).

It takes maybe between 5 - 10 minutes for me to put the top up or down. I have to move a little slower when it's cold (the top gets stiffer), and it goes faster when I'm motivated (like it's starting to rain!). And for reference, by "colder" I'm talking in the 50s or so. I haven't put it on or off in weather any colder than that.

80-drivers_flare_4eba751905e8e1d6075e3e45b8f00fe248a0a038.jpg

80-2014_hill_92cc29cbfaae0dc36833933ee16000e42b605945.jpg

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
My hard top has been hanging in the garage for about 3 years now....I put on a rampage speedy track top. It mostly stays rolled up by the tailgate, but in the event of a rain event, it only takes about 10 minutes to roll it back up......The side windows and back window.....now thats another story....My roll cage prevents the middle soft top bar from seating correctly, and the top is a bit tight when trying to zip the windows in....It didnt stretch to fit even in the South Texas heat....But its still better than wrestling with the hard top....

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
it takes me about 10 minutes at most for me with the rampage top. most of the time I zip out the windows and run it so I have some shade. I took the hardtop off over 10 years ago, now it's all rusted from setting.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Only takes 15 minutes or so for two people to take the soft top on or off if just talking about the fabric and not the "frame/metal/mounting part". Most soft tops have provisions for strapping down the bows if you just remove the fabric and lay the bows down .
One thing I like about the soft top is we frequently just remove the side and back windows leaving the "top " part on . Makes a great sun block if you don't want it beating down upon the " solar Panel " that some some of us older guys are replacing our hair with .
Also There are several ways to enable "removable doors " that adds to the fun/adventure/open air experience.

Sporto

Took the hard top off years ago, and never looked back.

You have two really good options with the mass produced soft tops. I say that because there are some really nice upscale ones too that you can order, but I don't know much about them other than they cost more and they're super cool.

However your two cheaper options are the Rampage/STC/Kayline top or the Bestop Super Top. I have owned either, and they each have their redeeming qualities.

The Rampage top is less expensive, it sells for around 550 or so for the complete kit that includes hardware. It also comes in a bunch of different colors and fabrics. The nice part about this top is how it goes up and comes down. It uses a flat bar that hooks to the front bow and when you release the pressure from the top, the front just pops off, and you can fold it back. Very nice! One thing that it does require is the wiper motor drop bracket and this precludes you from running the motor cover and visors.

The Bestop has a different design, and a taller stance. It is more expensive around 830.00 bucks, and it only comes in black. I like the fit and finish the Bestop (that is what I run), but it is more difficult to take up and down. You have to slide the front of the top with a sewn lip into a channel in the front bow, and this can be time consuming and annoying if you're in a hurry. It does however have a taller riser than the Rampage top, and does not require the drop down bracket for the wiper motor. You can also run the factory wiper motor cover and visors, but you have to cut it back to fit.

I have the Bestop because I like my visors and motor cover.

Which ever you decide to go with, ask lots of questions about how to install on here or elsewhere before attempting to do so. Both of these tops can be impacted in terms of sealing and appearance if they're not installed correctly, so take your time when doing the install.

Good Luck

Rich

Last edited:

Nothing Special

A couple others have mentioned a roll cage getting in the way of folding a soft top down. In the picture above of my Bronco with the Bestop down you can see that the main bow is laying against the back part of the 'cage. It would be nicer if it cleared and could lay on the back of the tub like it's intended to do, but it works fine there. I roll the rear window up, then roll the top around the window and the rear bow and lay that on the back of the tub. (I just lay the side windows in the back).

Vin218

Loc.
Manchester, NH
The rampage top goes up or down very easily, its a little harder for me to line up and zip in the windows but I usually just keep those off anyway. When its down I just keep it rolled up in the back and it takes like 2 minutes to put it back up.

ramrick

Loc.
el paso
I was wondering......for you guys that have soft tops. Is there any drilling and attaching hardware on the tailgate or any other part of the body? I'm getting mine painted and can't see myself drilling holes in new body/paint work. I would hope it's some type of frame you can just bolt up to hardtop mounting holes that runs across the top of the bed rail. Anybody have any pics?? I'd like to get one of these soft tops instead of the bikini tops.

ramrick

Loc.
el paso
Nevermind!!!! I just youtubed it......where would we be without the internet huh?? LOL!!

Last edited:

Sporto

I was wondering......for you guys that have soft tops. Is there any drilling and attaching hardware on the tailgate or any other part of the body? I'm getting mine painted and can't see myself drilling holes in new body/paint work. I would hope it's some type of frame you can just bolt up to hardtop mounting holes that runs across the top of the bed rail. Anybody have any pics?? I'd like to get one of these soft tops instead of the bikini tops.

On the new Bestops, there is no drilling required, with the exception of two snaps that go up on the windshield frame near each top corner. The rest of the hardware uses existing holes for the top bows and supports. The rear curtain has a metal shaft in the bottom of it, that is held in place by brackets on the back of the left and right rails. It is a nice design that lets you easily open and close the tailgate without messing with the top. I am not sure about the new Rampage design, the one that I had years ago had snaps in the tailgate.

Rich

Nothing Special

I like that the Bestop lets you open the tailgate without doing anything with the top. I usually just open the 'gate to put stuff in and out when the top is up. It's a lot easier than needing to unsnap the window.

jwh

I get my bestop down in maybe 5 minutes. Open the doors, unfasten the Velcro around the jambs, zip out the side window, zip out back window, move to the other side and do Velcro/window process, so a couple minutes there. Then I pull the back bow forward and kind of drape the top over the windshield and slide the top out of its channel. Lay the bows/top back and good to go. Going back up is about the same, maybe a little harder getting the front edge in than out. Haven't used the hardtop in 10 years probably, but I don't drive it in the winter months

Nothing Special

wait....so is there any issues with folding the bows down if you have a family cage?

Like I said, look at my second picture in post #2. You can see the main bow is laying on the back of the 'cage. That's as far down as it will go.

The rear bow, with the top rolled up around it, is resting on the back of the tub.

ramrick

Loc.
el paso
Like I said, look at my second picture in post #2. You can see the main bow is laying on the back of the 'cage. That's as far down as it will go.

The rear bow, with the top rolled up around it, is resting on the back of the tub.

I guess the rampage will pretty much be the same then huh.....

buck68

I think it depends on the design of the family cage. We have a best top soft top on our bronco. We have a Bailie built family cage and we're able to separate the main bow and "wag" it around the top rear of the cage and connect it again without an issue. Takes a few seconds.

Nothing Special

I think it depends on the design of the family cage. We have a best top soft top on our bronco. We have a Bailie built family cage and we're able to separate the main bow and "wag" it around the top rear of the cage and connect it again without an issue. Takes a few seconds.

I haven't tried that. I'm not sure I can pull my main bow apart without disconnecting it at the base, but if I can I'm sure I could get it past the 'cage.

rekoj71

It depends on the angle of the rear hoop of the family cage as to weather you would have a problem with the hoops of the soft top clearing the cage without separating the hoop to get it down (can be done without removing bar from base but a little tricky).
I liked my rampage top for ease of putting the top onto the windshield and easy to roll back, and I like my Best Top cause the tailgate opens without opening the back window.