• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My take on "Stealth" Rock Bumpers

GloNDark

Man it's been a while since I have posted anything on the Bronco. Been working on remodeling our kitchen, laundry room and office at the house so the Bronco mods have been few and far between.

Finally got some wrench done on a project that I wanted to do for a long time. My "Stealth bumpers"

First a breakdown of the front.
2x4" Steel tube that slides into the frame.
Took a regular winch plate and cut/modified/gusseted it to fit between the frame rails
Smitybuilt 9.5 winch with Synthetic rope

Mounts with 1/2" bolts that go all the way thru the factory bumper holes and 2 additional 1/2" bolts on each side.

Test fit with just the new frame horns and bumper cut

Winch shoe horned in there now for a test fit without the winch tray

Side view

The stock bumpers bolt right over the rock bumpers front and back for a clean "Stock-ish" appearance.

OP
OP
GloNDark

GloNDark

More pics

Can't believe I didn't take one of the winch tray. WTF?

This is the final test fit before welding everything 100%. The stock bumper is taped in place on the front so I could mark and drill holes for the attaching bolts.

And completed minus the clevis tabs I ordered on 2/14 that STILL have not shipped. hahaha

And a profile shot showing how much farther it comes out from the frame than the factory mount. About 2.5" overall.

OP
OP
GloNDark

GloNDark

Now on to the back. Same as the front, I used 2x4 steel to slide in the frame. I had to cut and bend the frame horns a little since the rear frame chokes down on the height pretty quick. But I as able to get about 8" in the frame to bolt too. Since up to this point it's identical to the front, I skipped pictures of making the bumper and frame horns.

Here is the A to Z Fabrication "Mega Spindle" installed.

Test fit of my slightly warped bumper haha

Tire carrier done almost done welding

And completed with bolts welded in for stock bumper to attach with

House

Minutia Militia
Wow! As above, great job!
Want to build another set? LOL

camodown

Nice, very clean setup. Off topic but how do you like those stt pros? Thinking about them for my next set.

OP
OP
GloNDark

GloNDark

I could probably be talked into building another set but it would have to be for someone local since the fitting and bumper trimming is so intensive. :D

OP
OP
GloNDark

GloNDark

Nice, very clean setup. Off topic but how do you like those stt pros? Thinking about them for my next set.

I like them. I had the old style MTR's on before this and they are light years better than those were.

Pretty quiet on the road. I have Toyo MT's on my diesel and these STT pro's are much quieter than those
Good street manners
Great in the dirt, rocks, mud and deep snow.

My only complaint would be ice traction but for a mud terrain they still do pretty darn good.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Very nice, I did pretty much the same to protect from the soccer moms in their minivans. I did mine almost the whole way to the edge of the stock bumper with an angled end, you can see a little more from the side. They seem a lot stronger than the stock bumpers with this type of setup. Mounting the bumper over riders took some effort and ended up drilling into the reinforcement bumper to countersink.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
WOW!Nice job,man you really hid that winch in there,can't hardly see it,looks great. :cool: