• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Troubleshooting Interference - RetroSound Receiver with Wet sound Stealth 6

clinem03

I am having a bit of trouble with interference with a Retrosound receiver to a wet sound 6 sound bar. I've mapped out the scenarios below where the interference is most noticeable or not happening at all - does anyone have any ideas what the issue might be?

- Wet Sound 6 bluetooth mode hooked up to my iphone directly in bluetooth mode (bypassing the Retrosound receiver) - no feedback/no interference

- Wet Sound 6 in "AUX" mode (to tie into the receiver) with the iphone hooked up to the Retro Sound receiver in bluetooth mode with the engine OFF - there is a sight "tick....tick....tick....tick...." while the music is playing.

- Wet Sound 6 in "AUX" mode (to tie into the receiver) with the iphone hooked up to the Retro Sound receiver in bluetooth mode with the engine ON - there is a lot of interference coming from the speaker.

In both the above scenarios, I have my phones bluetooth disconnected from the speaker as I was unsure if that was causing the feedback. Also, if I use the am/fm radio feature on the retrosound with the speaker in Aux mode, I still get the feedback which makes me think it is a specific issue with the receiver/speaker.

The speaker is mounted the underside of the rear bench seat and the main wire is run under the truck up through the tunnel and wired in behind the dash.

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

Super helpful article, thank you! Let the troubleshooting begin...

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My bet is you do not have a good ground between retro and soundbar. Or capacitor to control and wierdness.

Skinnyr1

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ground loop noise isolator. You plug it in at the soundbar output to the head unit.

This was my first thought. But I also thought about a power filter that my dad always ran on his two way radios. It had two wires in and two wires out of a cylindrical something. I assumed it to act as a capacity to prevent pulses from the alternator from affecting the radio operation. (This is yet another reason I'm considering going back for an electrical engineering degree, as mentioned in new thread yesterday.)

Now, without hijacking this thread, I'd like to see pics of your sound setups.

I found this thread because I'm searching for the best marine speakers to put in my BC Broncos wiper cover/speaker box. I can't make a set of speakers last more than a year and a half before they've rotted out and started rattling with any bit of bass. I know I'm getting water in the box when it rains, thanks to some hidden leaks, and obvious leaks at the ends of the soft top header, but shouldn't MARINE speakers stand up to moisture??

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

I have the same setup. A retrosound head unit with a wetsound 10 on the roll bar.

I also had the same interference issue. Feedback noise. I chased down the problem with grounds, other head units and speakers.

I put in one of these, and the feedback disappeared. Ground loop noise isolator. You plug it in at the soundbar output to the head unit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XQYN77L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Going to check the ground, if it’s not the issue I’ll try this next. Thanks!

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

This was my first thought. But I also thought about a power filter that my dad always ran on his two way radios. It had two wires in and two wires out of a cylindrical something. I assumed it to act as a capacity to prevent pulses from the alternator from affecting the radio operation. (This is yet another reason I'm considering going back for an electrical engineering degree, as mentioned in new thread yesterday.)

Now, without hijacking this thread, I'd like to see pics of your sound setups.

I found this thread because I'm searching for the best marine speakers to put in my BC Broncos wiper cover/speaker box. I can't make a set of speakers last more than a year and a half before they've rotted out and started rattling with any bit of bass. I know I'm getting water in the box when it rains, thanks to some hidden leaks, and obvious leaks at the ends of the soft top header, but shouldn't MARINE speakers stand up to moisture??

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306271

May be helpful...

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

I have the same setup. A retrosound head unit with a wetsound 10 on the roll bar.

I also had the same interference issue. Feedback noise. I chased down the problem with grounds, other head units and speakers.

I put in one of these, and the feedback disappeared. Ground loop noise isolator. You plug it in at the soundbar output to the head unit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XQYN77L/?tag=cbama-20
Finally got around to fixing this issue (I was just using straight blue tooth to the wet sounds unit by passing the retrosound head unit) and your suggestion was the exact fix. Thanks!