• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BRONCO grill lettering refresh project

Jason72Bronco

The red on my B R O N C O lettering on my grill was looking bad, almost gone. Instead of trying my hand with re-painting, I thought I would try adhesive backed vinyl. You can get it at any craft store, but I ordered a roll on Amazon for $12. (12" x 10 feet...should be enough!).

After cleaning with 409, I cut out rectangles slightly larger that the letter. Stuck it on the letter and pressed to make contact as much as possible. Then with a very pointy X-Acto knife, very carefully cut along the inside edges of the letters. It took a few tries with the first letter, but I had plenty of vinyl to re-try.

It is not perfect looking from a foot, but pretty darn good looking beyond that. We will see if it holds up. If it doesn't, I can just redo.

Took me about 30 minutes. Would be less now that I've done it. A tip if you try this, cut the "long" parts of the letter first, then the smaller parts. You will know what I mean if you try it.

Pics are before and after.

Attachments

• 20170413_082531_resized.jpg
    20170413_082531_resized.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 156
  • 20170413_091552_resized.jpg
    20170413_091552_resized.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 237

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Another trick that works really well is to clean them up with paint thinner. Then drop in your favorite color of liquid glass. The finish shines through the glass looks custom. Sorry no pics.

Jim

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
WOW! That looks great, I painted mine body color and it was a B_ _ ch man. %)

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I did the liquid glass thing on mine too. Tinted it red with ink from a sharpie, poured it into the letters and let it sit until it cured. No baking involved but heat will cure it faster.
f75b626b6a1b98ffd6b30037a376300e.jpg

nickgp

Bronco Guru
Can I get more info on the liquid glass? Who makes it, etc. thx. Have an old set of emblems to try it on. Thx

Jaxgtc

I am surprised that someone hasn't mass produced red vinyl adhesive backed letters to use as inserts. I guess once the cutting die was made, you could really do any color.
Do you think those same vinyl cutouts would overlay the stamped/embossed grill letters? That would pretty much corner the market if they were the same.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Can I get more info on the liquid glass? Who makes it, etc. thx. Have an old set of emblems to try it on. Thx

I used EnviroTex Lite from Ace Hardware. Its a clear two part epoxy used as a pour on finish for countertops and such. I tried several kinds of paint and inks as a tint. Most turned opaque. The Sharpie ink works perfectly. Just mix in a few drops with the resin, get the color you want, then add the hardener.

I set my letters on the oven rack so the pins would poke thru and the letters would be level. Filled them up with the resin, slid the rack into the oven, and baked them at about 90 degrees. You don't have to bake but it speeds things up.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Curious how the vinyl will stay stuck to the rough texture of the pebbled letter insert.

I just have the wife pick a nice red nail polish and use that.

No Hay

Bronco Guru
Yep, red nail polish is quick, easy and cheap. And contrary to popular fears, you can get out of the store without growing boobs or a hoo ha ;D

But that liquid glass looks first class.

Attachments

• letters.jpg
    letters.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 99

ECEB

I am glad to see people doing this. The grille and tailgate letters seem to be overlooked a lot on even high end restorations...

jray

Touch up paint of your color choice from the parts store works well too, comes in a small applicator like finger nail polish.

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Jason, looks great, good job.

No Hay, if I did grow those, I'd never leave the house!;D

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Not to hijack, but I swear I saw one time that someone had the ford emblem lighted, like it glowed. LEDs behind something opaque. Am I just imagining things?