• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dual Exhaust - How'd you run it?

msweb

Bronco Guru
I'll be putting in all new pipes and mufflers when I get my headers from the mass buy and I want them to exit in the rear (my pipes exit out the side now).

How have y'all run your pipes and mufflers so they don't get ripped off while crawling?

How close to the sides of the rear tank can you get and still be safe?

Any recommendation on mufflers? Glass packs over traditional?

Any pictures would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

694play

I use flowmaster mufflers. I like the sound and performance. Mufflers are just forward of the rear axle. mostly tucked up out of the way.
My exhaust exits behind the rear tires but angled toward the rear corner so they are not straight out the back. I don't know if this is what you meant by the side or if you were referring to in front of the rear tires. this has worked well for me.

grizzman

Loc.
Juneau, AK
exhausted

I am running turbo flows and they are located under the passenger and drivers seats. I made an aluminum heat shield to go between the drivers side muffler and the auxillary gas tank. I have not done any extreme rock crawling, but these mufflers are tucked so far up that I would think you'd tear off a drive shaft or t-case before you ever got to the mufflers. I have had this system in place for about ten years now. Also, my pipes exit just in front of the rear wheels. Be prepeared for a lot of floor heat if you are installing full length headers! If I had to do anything over, I would have purchased shorty headears and will probably go that route when my current headers burn out.

OP
OP
msweb

msweb

Bronco Guru
I didn't think about exiting behind the tires at an angle. I like that. Yes 694play, you understand corretly. My exhaust exits straight out and just in front of the rear tires. Way to noisy with the glass packs. Sounds good, but noisy.

I didn't consider a heat shield for the tank either. Now that you mention it, a couple of shields for the floor boards may be a good idea also. Say suspend them 1" below the floor pan? Sounds like time for another trip to the local steel supplier's scrap pile. I can even make them out of aluminum diamond plate! %)

Keep em' coming!

swood

Loc.
San Jose, CA
I like exiting straight out the back. I used flowmasters and put in an x-pipe.

There are pics on my site but the links are goofed right now. I'll fix them tonight.

eBronc

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Yep, it's high.

Exhaust%20output.JPG

It's easy to fab exhaust when you've cut the entire bed floor out.

With a 2" body lift, I was able to raise the dual Flowmasters up just under the bed floor, then run the 2 1/2" pipes out between the top of the frame rails and the bottom of the bed floor, bedside the rear tires, over the stock shock mounts, then turned out to exit under the corners of the body on each side.

More pics and description here:

http://home.austin.rr.com/broncenstein/tech.htm

70TEXEB

Loc.
Abilene, TX
Just like swood I used 2.5 from headers into X pipe then to flowmaster 40s, i used 2.25 pipes out back at 90 deg though, and slightly tilted down. Other than the hooker headers...and wishing i could have waited for LSUPETEs deal...iam happy with performance and sound.

Dennis

Loc.
Northern California
I too am facing the same choices. I think I'm just gonna run single exhaust. I'm not sure yet.

eBronc, Is that a brake like on top of the frame rail right below the pipe? Aren't you affraid of overheating/boiling your brake fluid?

eBronc

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Good eye.

Dennis said:
eBronc, Is that a brake like on top of the frame rail right below the pipe? Aren't you affraid of overheating/boiling your brake fluid?

Yes, it is (or was.) Since that photo was taken, I've rerouted the brake line so it runs along the inside of the framerail, and wrapped it, the fuel line that runs next to it now, and the electrical wiring for the taillights in several layers of heat shielding wrap.

OP
OP
msweb

msweb

Bronco Guru
Wow - I must admit, I didn't expect to see someone's exhaust from ABOVE! :eek:

I like it, but no body lift on mine. :'(

ransil

Bronco Guru
When mine exixted the rear I would get fumes in the cab, ( hard top) usualy when going up hill. Exiting in front of the tires was OK but noise level goes up and is not legal in Pa.

U

Unregistered

Ransil; interseting regarding your state law outlawing exhaust exiting in front of the rear tires! Kind of a bummer! I love mine! I love rolling down the window and being able to hear and see the exhaust coming out!

U

Unregistered

Ransil; interesting regarding your state law outlawing exhaust exiting in front of the rear tires! Kind of a bummer! I love mine! I love rolling down the window and being able to hear and see the exhaust coming out!