• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

np435 shifter

velpoe

Loc.
Cumberland, MD
That may be a hard find...why not get the stock np435 shifter and bend it yourself to exactly where you want it? All you need to bend it is a vice, propane torch, and a large pipe.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
want pic?

It's easy to do yourself. A propane torch works ok, but if you have access to one an oxyacetylene torch is better. If it would help I can take a pic from the side of mine when I get back home in a couple of days and email it to you.

S/C-HD2002

Loc.
CO
First picture is with the tranny in neutral. Notice the quick bend down after it comes out of the tranny. This helps with the shifter clearance against the dash and heater box in first and third.

Second picture shows the bend to the left of the t case shifter. In this picture the tranny is in reverse. After the bend around the t case shifter (make sure it clears in reverse) the final bend brings it back straight and in line with the tranny. (also notice these bends in the first picture)

The third picture is compound low first. This picture shows the dash and heater box clearance.

This is an extremely easy task. As stated above, a little heating and bending and it can be completely custom.

I hope these pictures give you a little idea which direction to proceed in. Let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

• webshifter.jpg
    webshifter.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 90
  • webshifter1.jpg
    webshifter1.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 83
  • webshifter2.jpg
    webshifter2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 113

ChrisinWV

Bronco Guru
Loc.
St George Island, MD
I have been looking at different examples of the bent 435 shifter for reference for my project and had a thought.
Has anyone ever tried to fab a remote mount shifter for the np 435?
Is there too much interference from the TC shifters?
I was thinking you could mount one further back and have it linked to the stub of the stock shifter with rods.......
Much like the twin stick shifters for the tc.
Just a thought.
I saw one fabbed for some sort of tranny on one of those junkyard creations and it hit me......
Should be able to change the leverage points to get a shorter throw as well I think?
Chris

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I think a remote shifter would be really hard to make work. The NP435 doesn't shift with levers on the side like many manual trannys do. Instead the end of the shift handle pushes forks back and forth along rails at the top of the tranny. There's a lot of leverage required there, which the long handled shifter does well. But it would be hard to muster that sort of leverage with a remote, short throw shifter.

Attachments

• NP435-shifter-02.jpg
    NP435-shifter-02.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 54
  • NP435-shifter-04.jpg
    NP435-shifter-04.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 46
  • NP435-020F.JPG
    NP435-020F.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 50

S/C-HD2002

Loc.
CO
ChrisinWV said:
Is there too much interference from the TC shifters?

I had ZERO interference problems with the transfer case shifter. I personally would not try to over think a solution like a remote shifter. Bending the factory shifter can be made very comfortable and functional. I ran my shifter the way it was for around 11 years with out a single problem. I also had people comment on how much cleaner and easier to shift it was than their shifter.

Your main issues are to clear the dash and heater box, and the t case shifter. Other than that, comfort shifting is your other concern. I have seen people run their shifters around the passenger side of the t case shifter. I didn't like how it shifted at all.

Mine ran very close down the driver side of the tranny tunnel. It was never in the way of anything and always shifted perfect.

Hope this helps.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
S/C-HD2002 said:
I had ZERO interference problems with the transfer case shifter. I personally would not try to over think a solution like a remote shifter. Bending the factory shifter can be made very comfortable and functional. I ran my shifter the way it was for around 11 years with out a single problem. I also had people comment on how much cleaner and easier to shift it was than their shifter.

Your main issues are to clear the dash and heater box, and the t case shifter. Other than that, comfort shifting is your other concern. I have seen people run their shifters around the passenger side of the t case shifter. I didn't like how it shifted at all.

Mine ran very close down the driver side of the tranny tunnel. It was never in the way of anything and always shifted perfect.

Hope this helps.

Mine's on the passenger side of the t-case shifter and it's been shifting very nicely for the 8 years since I installed it. It's also very comfortable. In fact once I'd made the initial 90 degree bend for heater clearance and a rough bend upward towards the drivers seat, I replaced the shifter cane into the tranny, got my oxyacetylene torch and sat in the cab. Then I just heated it while I was sitting there and bent it till I liked how it felt. I couldn't get mine to clear the heater when I first installed it, even with a tight 90 degree bend. At the time I didn't have a body lift. I had to notch the heater box at the bottom to make room. I've heard that some NP435's have a shorter top cover that gives more room, but I've never looked closely at any others since I did my install. In any case, I really like the way it shifts. Not much good for drag racing, but hey, an EB is a truck- it deserves a truck transmission ;D

One thing that made the routing easier was that I got rid of the t-shift handle. I got my NP435 out of a '67 divorced-case F250 that had the t-case shifter mounted to a bracket on the transmission. I took that shift lever along with the transmission. The knob on the shift lever had the same pattern as the t-shift Dana 20, so I torched the old t-shift lever off my Bronco bracket and welded on the other one. Looks clean and it let the NP435 shifter cane get a lot closer to the t-case shift lever.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
There were some NP435's with remote shifters although I've never seen one in real life I think they were put in F500's buses and such. but I would imagine the top cover would be to big for the bronco tunnel and might need a lot more sheet metal trimming to fit it.
I run a NP435 and have my shifter on the pass side of the tcase shifter never had any problems shifting it and I could bend it towards the drivers side a couple more inches but havent its not that big of a deal

S/C-HD2002

Loc.
CO
lars said:
Mine's on the passenger side of the t-case shifter and it's been shifting very nicely for the 8 years since I installed it. It's also very comfortable.

broncnaz said:
I run a NP435 and have my shifter on the pass side of the tcase shifter never had any problems shifting it and I could bend it towards the drivers side a couple more inches but havent its not that big of a deal

Just goes to show its all in personal preference. I guess I am just partial to the way mine came out. ;D

As you can see matt77, it is pretty simple to knock out your own shifter, and you really cannot go wrong.

One final note, I was using the stock t shift handle and it still cleared just fine.

OP
OP
M

matt77

Loc.
Southaven, Ms
Thanks for all the info.I already have mine bent I am just checking with others totry to find a better way.There is always someone out there with a better way.Mine is bearly hitting the dash when in 1st.I have to hold presure against to keep it in first gear.I need just a little more clearence by the dash ,but also have to make sure i clear the twin stick and have clearence in reverse.Thanks for the info. Matt77